Forum » Label Services Forum

Help! Error for Similar Artists

• Help! Error for Similar Artists

My Similar artist just updated
    http://last.fm/music/Michael+Lewis
    And they are all wrong. Nothing similar at all.
    My Genre is: Pop, Blues, Jazz, Adult Contemporary
    The Artists that are listed are all: Bluegrass, Country, Oldies, 60's, Indie Rock, Punk Rock, Cajon and Folk.

This is not good.

• Any Help?. I need this resolved right away.

• Same problem here

Dear Michael,
    I have observed the same problem with my label, BANANAART.PLand with my artists. I believe that the tagging of the Artists, releases and the labels themselves should be done responsibly by labels only, and the listener's labels should be registered in their preferences only. Possibly, they should be forwarded to us as suggestions or recomendations. If anyone adds any tags they wish to, we all might wind up in a very problematic situation. For instance, in the " cappella radio" you may hear anything at all, and only now and again you do get a cappella material.
    Yours,
    Pawel

Synchro
  • Re: Same problem here

Quoth Pawel_Jedrzejko:
    Dear Michael,
    I have observed the same problem with my label, BANANAART.PLand with my artists. I believe that the tagging of the Artists, releases and the labels themselves should be done responsibly by labels only, and the listener's labels should be registered in their preferences only. Possibly, they should be forwarded to us as suggestions or recomendations. If anyone adds any tags they wish to, we all might wind up in a very problematic situation. For instance, in the " cappella radio" you may hear anything at all, and only now and again you do get a cappella material.
    Yours,
    Pawel

Excellent point. Though, I think users should be able to tag and we should be able to remove tags.
    For instance, I received a Alternative tag. My Music is far from alternative and anybody trying to listen to alternative would most likely not like the stuff I do.

Though, the mess up is not from tags. It's from simmilar artists which have absolutaly nothing to do with my music. In fact, none of my top fans listen to anything close to that stuff, how it got there is beyond me.

• Practicality...

That is a very good idea, the only question is its practicality: assume that you have tagged your label, your artists, your albums and all individual tracks; how will you keep track of what tags have been user-added to each of those elements?

If tags added by users were sent to us as suggestions, eg: "user Pawel_Jedrzejko suggests the following tags for track "ABC" -Click to approve or to reject" we would be able to react and quite quickly add aproppriate tags.

Also, the similarity charts ought to be organized along the same pattern; possibly, some criteria could be used, e.g: "genre," "instrumentarium," "climate".

Just a thought!

Yours,

Pawel"Synchro" Jedrzejko
    Banana Boat
    http://www.banana.art.pl

Synchro
  • MichaelLewis,

I realise your concern with this matter, but the way Last.fm works means that as more people listen to your music, the more the system will correct itself. You've made the right first step by setting some "Label suggested" similar artist in your control panel, and these will help guide your music to more suitable listeners.

As you may remember, there is a bit of a name collision occuring with your artist name, which is possibly were some of the un-suitable recommendations are coming from. However, similar artist data comes from our users, and perhaps your current fan base on Last.fm see's your similar artists differently to how you do.

The same theory applies to Tags and music, and although every artist on Last.fm may be tagged as "alternative" :-) as more people tag your music, the more these in-accurate tags lose their importance.

We'll do what we can to resolve the name collision, but bare with the system, and I'm sure you'll get better results shortly.

Alex

• Precisely...

That is my case, too. There are two bands called "Banana Boat": one is a great Spanish ska band, the other is us, a vocal harmony quintet singing maritime songs. Apart from tags, there is no way for the system to distinguish one band from another, unless the administrators "taught" it to recognize which is which owing to some indexing technology. Well, I am a computer moron, just fantasizing.

Yours,

Pawel "Synchro" Jedrzejko
    BANANAART.PL
    Banana Boat
    http://www.banana.art.pl

Synchro
    • K1MO said...
    • User
    • 18 Feb 2006, 17:32
    maybe "similar artists" should be renamed to something like "listeners also listened to" .. 'cause that is, what the system tells you with it's calculation.

greets
    k1m0

• Good point!

Bravo!

Synchro
  • If you read the site FAQs, the concept of Similar Artists is explained as

"By comparing all music profiles, Last.fm calculates what other artists are similar to a give artist. "People who listened to this artist, also listed to those artists", that's the gist of it."

• K1MO said...
    • User
    • 20 Feb 2006, 11:41
    yeah but 1. whos reading all the faq? ;) and 2. in many cases it's not similar.. anyway i don't really care 'cause i've got lots of fun with last.fm
    we shouldn'T take it all too serious

:)
    k1m0

• ebang said...
    • User
    • 2 Mar 2006, 23:03
    When more people listen to your music and other music, the similar artists will get more and more accurate. The fact that this takes a while to be really helpful is a small price to pay for such a powerful feature in the future.

• K1MO said...
    • User
    • 3 Mar 2006, 21:32
    but think about this: most of us aren't everybody-listens-to-britney-spears-musicians ;D
    so the "while" could/will probably take a whiiiiiiiile .. u know.. impatience is our style =)

• Statick said...
    • User
    • 13 Mar 2006, 23:09
    how often are the similar artists updated ?

i've got one who's been online for months, and still only has the label-suggested similars.

• Statick, which artist?

• Statick said...
    • User
    • 16 Mar 2006, 09:41
    this guy http://www.last.fm/music/Garnett+James

he's only got 200 listeners, but all of them are radio generated - he started with only 2 when the stuff was put online

• Re:

i read the whole thing before I got started here.

i'm such a nerd,
    eric

Quoth K1MO:
    yeah but 1. whos reading all the faq? ;) and 2. in many cases it's not similar.. anyway i don't really care 'cause i've got lots of fun with last.fm
    we shouldn'T take it all too serious

:)
    k1m0

Polyvibe - Empowering artists to create fulfilling careers.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.