Forum » General Discussion

When it comes to your music...

• Skiye said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 5 Aug 2010, 00:22

When it comes to your music...

...do you consider yourself to be open minded or do you like to stick with what you know and love?

as for me, i'll really try anything at least once - the only requirement for me to listen to it again is simply that it has to appeal to me. what about you? do you go exploring musics or do you have certain styles/genres that you stick with?

Edited by Skiye on 5 Aug 2010, 03:05
  • I'm open minded.

*Life is not for winners it's for sinners that are losaaarrrrrsssss*
    Yer I like to sell dreams to the fiends...
    *We see through your evil if you ain't Hebrew, women like to wear that tight shit so they can tease you, super stars ain't God cus you niccas bleed too, never ever bite the hand that extends to feed you, out the darkness Israelites come to lead you, you ain't nothing but a piece of meat I sink my teeth through*
  • Now this, is a topic that continually gets touched on in many other topic threads.

Well, you already know Skiye - I stay very open to anything music related.

What is the appeal? Strong lyrics, quality arrangements and instrumentals, intelligent use of the music in general. Yes, even smartly inventing a new gimmick deserves some commendation.

Maybe it is still something I don't personally enjoy, but I won't hold anything against those who do enjoy it.

Music: offer praise in Greek, is artistic expression, so if it's just the costume and stage show that speak emotionally to the fans, it is still musical art.

Just my opinion.

• I'll listen to anything, really. I think I have a pretty wide range of musical tastes. I do have times when I will listen to a bunch of one band or one particular genre in one session, or other genres, but mostly I like to keep it fresh and change it up. Exploring new music is like a natural high, sometimes you discover something you cannot believe you've been missing.

Music is to wild of an animal to just see one side of it, you gotta have an open mind when it comes to music, or else you will miss a lot of the good stuff.

• I'd say for most people they listen to the music they do for one main reason they enjoy it some people listen to cannibal corpse others Frank Sinatra. Like anything lots of people lot's of preferences some people will scoff at the person listening to Vivaldi as they crank Cradle Of Filth, and some at the person listening to Eminem while they reminisce over Boston.
    Myself be it Bob Dylan, Boris,Dimmu Borgir,Pat Metheny,MELL,infected Mushroom,Slayer,Dave Matthews Band,Stan Getz or Enya if i like it ill listen to it.
    I will say i do give folk metal more of my ear then most genres but just because i like it more than other genres it doesn't deafen me to other musical horizons.

with great power comes....LASER EYEBEAMS!!!!!!!
  • just like colors I think it is hard to paint a clear and colorful picture with just one hue or one genre. I prefer the whole assorted palette of music, colors, and instruments to indulge my ear. Variety is the spice, and I think I'm open minded when it comes to music, as I can listen to anything. It's just a way to be able to taste every color of the rainbow

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2010, 01:19
    I'm an albums person and I like what I like.

• Skiye said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 5 Aug 2010, 01:34
    awesome answers so far!!!!

i fall somewhere in between in my own opinion. there are a few different genres i tend to play more than others too...loveeeee my jazz for example. but like i said, i'll listen to anything at least once and thats mainly because...well, i just like notes i guess haha. not just the normal ones, but the ones cars make, doors make, birds make, trains make, well....you see what im getting at here hahaha. of course, not everyone is like that though... =)

im not knocking anyone for not being open minded either - i want to make that clear because im looking your opinions as well :D

• Mostly closed minded, as I tend to stay out of genres that give me bad vibes (new rap, deathcore) or just aren't interesting (mainstream alt. rock, electronica & similar) thus I have a limited music spectrum.

• Crim122 said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2010, 01:51
    A bit of both. I tend to stay away from the radio at all costs because I feel the majority of top 40/new rap is all garbage.

Other than that ill listen to mostly anything.

• Close minded to much new mainstream rock, and country, (and mainstream hip-hop). However alternative rock and indie rock appeal to me greatly. For the most part, I just don't like a lot of music played on the radio. I'll listen to anything from Classic Rock, to instrumental hip-hop, techno to folk, Progressive Black Metal to Indie Pop, from Punk to Jazz. I love discovering new music, so even if I don't think I'll like it, I'll still give it a listen so I can at least judge it, and have a good reason for not liking it.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind.
  • I'm pretty open minded. I'll listen to anything, when I'm in the mood for something though, that's what I listen to end of story.

-Nik.
  • I'm usually pretty open minded and will try music suggested to me at least once, except I am physically incapable of listening to rap or country. But mostly anything else I'll try

"I'm hoping that you won't burn out, or fade away..." - Our Lady Peace

Yoga is for everyone
  • There are genres that I mostly don't care for (hardcore, mainstream country, death metal...). And there are some genres that I listen to more than others (folk, hip-hop, soft poppy stuff...). But then there are always the exceptions... And on any given day my tastes can range through a wide variety of music.

I like what I like and I can accept that what I like is not always going to be considered "good". I focus mainly on lyrics, vocals, and what kind of mood particular songs can put me in, because, honestly? I've tried to be an "album person" and I do enjoy listening to whole albums now and then, especially by artists I love, but I'm really more of an individual song person. So if I like the lyrics and I like the way a song sounds, in general... If I can identify with it on some level... Then the genre's rather inconsequential to me, whether it be show tunes or gangsta rap or folk or mainstream pop or anything else, for that matter.

Of course, it gets a bit wacky now and then, listening to music that way. Because sometimes it's hard to find new artists to get interested in if I'm looking more into what they're saying than how they sound. How will I know what they're saying OR how they sound if I haven't heard them and I don't pay much attention to genres? Haha, but I rely a lot on suggestions from friends and Last.fm and such, so... *shrugs*

I guess I like to think of myself as open-minded, musically, but sometimes I can be pretty snobby about what I'll listen or when I'll get around to listening something new... :P

• Ilyala said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2010, 11:17
    I'm pretty close-minded when it comes to music. Hey look at my charts, it's pretty much all metal.

How interesting am I?

Someone should make a Twilight mod for Castlevania! Wouldn't it be awesome to kill Edward Cullen instead of Dracula?
  • Open.

I listen to very different styles, some very abrasive, some very soft.

The most important thing is the song itself. Lyrics, musical genre and band's personality comes second. I have a habit of just listening one song from one band and then later expanding on the artist if I liked what I heard.

But, alas, I'm not a listener of every genre.
    Genres, that I avoid, are usually country, hip-hop, urban R&B and almost every heavy metal genre.
    I tend to like melodic material the most.

ǝɔuǝʇuǝs spɹɐʍʞɔɐq
    • Ilyala said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2010, 11:48
    GeronkoMan said:
    Open.

I listen to very different styles, some very abrasive, some very soft.

The most important thing is the song itself. Lyrics, musical genre and band's personality comes second. I have a habit of just listening one song from one band and then later expanding on the artist if I liked what I heard.

But, alas, I'm not a listener of every genre.
    Genres, that I avoid, are usually country, hip-hop, urban R&B and almost every heavy metal genre.
    I tend to like melodic material the most.

What about melodic death metal?

Someone should make a Twilight mod for Castlevania! Wouldn't it be awesome to kill Edward Cullen instead of Dracula?
    • lawynd said...
    • Subscriber
    • 5 Aug 2010, 13:05
    I'll listen to anything once, with the exception of free jazz - I'll stick with my Miles Davis and Charles Mingus thanks! But I'm an explorer at heart and that goes for music as well - I constantly push the boundaries and challenge myself to try something new.

Today's discovery has been Exuma (Tony McKay).

Official recorder of Schrödinger's Tampon.

Quote of the moment - "They tried to get me to eat haggis but I couldn't stomach it."
    • holly75 said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2010, 18:08
    I am fairly open-minded about listening to new music. I do tend to listen to certain genres more than others and there are some genres that I don't really care for at all, such as country music or death metal. I like rap, but in small doses and they can't be singing about bitches and hoes all the time :D

Nobody dies a virgin....life fucks us all. ~ Kurt Cobain
  • I dont discriminate by genre...

First I decide whether the sound of the music is making my ears happy or not. This, I can usually deduce within the first 20-30 seconds of a song...

If my ears are happy with the sound coming in, then I move on to the next step which is critically analyzing the shit out of the lyrics. My standards for lyrics are extremely high. If they dont meet my standards those pleasant sounds I was hearing before, suddenly become very annoying and I'll never listen to it again.

I usually give a new band 3 or 4 songs to appeal to me. If it's not floating my boat after that, I consider them shit.

.this is our bomb.
  • i'm so open minded its gnarly

i listen to everything thats tripped out and good classics
    i havent yet explored alot of the music i actually list ive been just look up new stuff for the past months

• me is a open listner.

• well i do like to stick to what i know and love
    but, i also like to try other stuff like i have recently (ppl like Venetian snares ^_^)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Aug 2010, 12:59
    I'd say that I'm generally open-minded.

• Feanor said...
    • 7 Aug 2010, 13:29
    I'm probably pretty closed minded. I listen to different genre's/styles, but I prefer to stick to the same artists rather than try something new. I know what I'm getting that way. If I do start on someone new, it's usually because they've done something with another artist I already like.

If you're a Kiwi, please join the Hurrah for Kiwialism group | Groups for cool people:this this this this
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.