Forum » Last.fm Client Support

Server issues?

• Server issues?

My Last.FM app isn't scrobbling anymore. It says "Cannot connect to server". I've already googled the issue and what seems to be the solution is changing your password. However, after doing that and updating my password under preferences, lastfm keeps telling me "Password Incorrect" followed by "Cannot Connect to Server" again. Any idea how I can fix this? I restarted. I reinstalled. It's up to date. I don't know what else there is I can do to fix this.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 19 Apr 2012, 17:11
    anything blocking it?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • Nothing changed since last night (when it did work) so I'm not sure what could be blocking it or how I'd check (I have a mac)

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 18:24
    Hmm. Check your settings to see what's selected, in-page or software?

If it's not that, post back. What browser do you use? (I have a mac too)

• What do you mean my settings? In the app? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look at.

I use google chrome. What I don't understand is it worked all day yesterday. I turned the computer off over night. Woke up this morning and it isn't working and is giving me that error instead. Deleted it and reinstalling didn't do anything as it wouldn't even let me log in, it automatically logged me in even though I deleted the previous version. If I could only log out of my account on the app itself and log back in, at least I'd be able to type in the new password.

• I should also note that I just tried it from my iMac (the original problems were on my MacBook Pro) and it doesn't work on my iMac either.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 19:07
    Settings via your Home page, here http://www.last.fm/settings/website

If you want to listen via the client, you should have 'play in software' selected.

• Have you already tried the new client?

• bengt_bangt said:
    Have you already tried the new client?

I just tried it. Same problem. See photo below.

Babs, my settings seem to be fine. Both my iMac and Macbook Pro worked fine last night and I wasn't on the lastfm website to change the settings anyhow.

Urgh I'm so frustrated with this.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 21:55
    Try changing your settings to play music in page?

Also, try a different browser? See if the client launches better. Firefox, for example.

Edited by Babs_05 on 19 Apr 2012, 22:00
  • Babs_05 said:

That's what it was on when it first stopped scrobbling. Then I changed it to Play music in the Last.fm software. What is the difference anyway? I only play music from my itunes so I dont really get the difference. The wording of that is really not good or clear for someone who doesn't hang out on lastfm every day.

• Babs_05 said:

Also, try a different browser? See if the client launches better. Firefox, for example.

I don't get what you mean by this. I don't scrobble via a browser. I do it via the lastfm app.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 22:02
    I just tried it in Chrome and the in-page radio worked fine. Another application launched instead of the client but I could try again...

• Babs_05 said:
    I just tried it in Chrome and the in-page radio worked fine. Another application launched instead of the client but I could try again...

Still don't get what you mean by in page. I only use the app and don't know of any other way to scrobble.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 22:05
    annieisokay said:
    Babs_05 said:

That's what it was on when it first stopped scrobbling. Then I changed it to Play music in the Last.fm software. What is the difference anyway? I only play music from my itunes so I dont really get the difference. The wording of that is really not good or clear for someone who doesn't hang out on lastfm every day.
    The difference is that when you play music in-page, you're listening via the web player, where it says Radio in the bar at the top of the screen.

When you play music via the client (what you call app), you're listening via the software you downloaded and installed. You need this to scrobble from your iTunes.

Your settings on your Home page need to match up to whichever one you use.

For me to help you, I need you to be really clear about what you want me to look at. If you don't know the terms, screenshots would be superb, like the photo you posted above.

• What do you want screenshots of? Here's all the details:

1. I ONLY listen to my iTunes music. I never listen to radio or online streaming etc

2. When I open the last.fm application, it says "Cannot Connect to Server"

3. I googled "Cannot Connect to Server Last.fm" and every 'solution' pointed to having to change my password. However when I did change my password in my browser, when I went back to the application to update the password under preferences it wouldn't let me change it. This would pop up "Password Incorrect" followed again by "Cannot Connect to Server"

4. Firewall is off

5. Antivirus software off

6. Deleting/uninstalling/then reinstalling last.fm doesn't work. Same problem.

7. Restarting doesn't help

8. The fact that it stopped working on both my iMac and MacPro at the same time is weird.

I don't know what other info you need. But I've tried everything.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 19 Apr 2012, 22:54
    Thanks. Normally, when people get an error message like this, it's because the settings don't match up, causing conflict when trying to play radios. I just wanted to rule this out.

Ok, so you got the error message before you did anything to your password.
    Then when you tried to change your password in the client, it wasn't accepted.

Sounds like something that needs to be looked at by staff. It's about midnight here in the UK. Staff are back in the office in the morning.

In the meantime, maybe there's something here that will help. From FAQs:
    What can I do if my Last.fm Scrobbler has stopped scrobbling my music?

• FIXED IT.

In case anyone else has the same problem:

Step 1. -- Open Finder. Search for 'last.fm' -- click the plus sign on the right hand side after search is completed. Under "Kind" select "other" and make sure "System Files" is checked. And next to it select "Are Included"

Step 2. -- Delete any and all files related to last.fm including cache etc

Step 3. -- Delete from trash can. If some files can't be deleted because they're running, open 'activity monitor' and force quit processes related to this. Try deleting again. If it doesn't work (as it didn't in my case) then restart and empty trashcan immediately after it boots back up.

Step 4. -- This was specific to my problem. I used unblock us for a while. Haven't in months but for some reason Last Fm decided that the proxy IP they assigned me when I was paying for their service isn't good anymore and is in the way. I opened system preferences and opened Network Preferences. Under DNS I deleted all existing IP's in there and pressed apply. It automatically reset the connection to its defaults.

Step 5. -- Download a brand new copy of last.fm and VOILA.

Thanks again.

• The only annoyance right now is it scrobbles after the song is done playing. It doesn't say "listening" at all. Oh well. (ETA: Nevermind. Works now)

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 20 Apr 2012, 10:02
    yaymacs ;D

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 20 Apr 2012, 16:10
    It might be there's still something in the way, maybe residual files from previous installs.

To clear residual files on Mac (Client):

Open the Terminal app, and paste the following:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/fm.last.*

and

rm -rf ~/"Library/Application Support/Last.fm"

Then try reinstalling.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.