Forum » In the News

J Stewart on Crossfire

• J Stewart on Crossfire

Did anyone else see this? haha awesome. it definitely goes along with one of the many topics in the bush vs kerry thread. Jon Stewart, despite being a part of the media, recognizes that the media is destroying america hahaha. He tries to explain how people look to the news media for information and unbiased views and the crossfire guys blow their opportunity to present this to americans by putting spins on everything.

he fails to realize he also does this usually, but finally someone brought it to national attention. his excuse for spinning his material too is that he is a comedy show, not a real news program, but he fails to acknowledge that despite being the "fake news" a lot of people (especially a lot in our age group) still take that show as fact and follow the opinions given there.

that tucker guy was a douche though, im glad stewart called him a dick on national tv hahaha. i think stewart's main point still shined through, even though tucker would interupt to inform jon he wasn't being funny or he wouldn't like to eat dinner with him. real news shows like crossfire need to be unbiased and informative, that means giving facts, and not leaving choice ones out. opinions are fine as long as there are valid counter arguements. i wish those clowns would have taken his arguement to heart, maybe he should have been a little nicer to them heh.

Is this the right room for an argument?
    Edited by The_Pharoah on 19 Oct 2004, 05:40
  • Fuck, I missed it. I did catch his show tonight though, where he mentioned it. Damnit.

• Smiff said...
    • User
    • 19 Oct 2004, 10:09
    i posted a link to this in the Bush or Kerry thread. i thought the "you're as a big a dick on this show" moment was Stewart's only major mistake actually, because it undercut what he was saying, which was good. btw a study was done and daily show's viewers had much higher average education and income than e.g. cable news viewers.

Edited by Smiff on 19 Oct 2004, 10:11
  • Wow, that was some "debate" Thanks for posting that. The guys wouldn't even let him get to his point. I totally agree with Jon.

• Smiff said...
    • User
    • 19 Oct 2004, 14:42
    "Carlson said Stewart continued lecturing the "Crossfire" crew after the show went off the air. "I wasn't offended as much as I was unimpressed," he said."

hahaha. this guy's my new hero.

(read)

• Haha, great. Actually my mom knows somebody who knows Jon, hopefully she can arrange something, I would LOVE to meet him.

• Re:

Quoth Smiff:
    i posted a link to this in the Bush or Kerry thread. i thought the "you're as a big a dick on this show" moment was Stewart's only major mistake actually, because it undercut what he was saying, which was good. btw a study was done and daily show's viewers had much higher average education and income than e.g. cable news viewers.

yea sorry, i thought that's what they was, but i was afraid to click it based on my crappy computer/internet. yea, i think he called him a dick cause he was just getting pissed at tucker's stupid and wimpier insults. it was definitely out of emotion rather than intelligence.

• Smiff said...
    • User
    • 19 Oct 2004, 18:53
    amazing. Jon Stewart just got a large and very positive piece on UK Channel 4 national evening news! They were showing what we've been talking about - the joke the mainstream media is, clips of his show, clips of the debates, etc etc. most people in the UK would never have heard of him, and i think he just got several new million fans :)

Edited by Smiff on 19 Oct 2004, 19:13
  • He deserves it, he's a very cool guy. And from what I hear, from my mom's friend, he's also very nice and down to earth.

• Smiff said...
    • User
    • 19 Oct 2004, 20:17
    yeah ok i think there's just a bit too much Jon Stewart cock sucking going on around here... buuuuut.. he actually deserves such oral pleasure, for being about the only person to speak out :p form an orderly line behind me and reaper6699 ;)

Edited by Smiff on 19 Oct 2004, 20:17
    • Xiian said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2004, 07:46

Re:

Quoth Smiff:
    hahaha. this guy's my new hero.

You mean Stewart...right? Not "The Bow-Tie," right?

no use for a sig.
    • Smiff said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2004, 09:34
    doh! yes of course. heh.

• Xiian said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2004, 10:38
    Jon Stewart did a bit of a recap of his weekend on last nights Daily Show, iFilm picked it up here

Check it out, it's always fun.

no use for a sig.
  • haha yea i saw that! thanks and nice avatar too haha.

• Xiian said...
    • User
    • 22 Oct 2004, 01:38

Re:

Quoth The_Pharoah:
    haha yea i saw that! thanks and nice avatar too haha.

Thankye kindly, I figure if I keep him on the internet, he'll stay out of my closet.

no use for a sig.
  • i just saw stewart on 60 minutes. he was a lot less angry haha, but still interesting. nothing new though, nothing really to start a new topic for.

• I find it interesting that Jon managed to steal the entire audience from the hosts... on their own show.

I'm guess i felt at the end that he only had one real point, and wasn't allowed to present a cohesive arguement. A powerful, hard-hitting arguement would have really stood out in contrast to less relevant/more personal atatcks that were used against him.

Still, pretty good stuff.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Dec 2004, 04:24

Re: J Stewart on Crossfire

Quoth The_Pharoah:
    Did anyone else see this?

aghhh. i guess *sometimes* there's good stuff on the idiot box.

• Jon Stewart makes me laugh until I'm on the brink of wetting myself.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.