Forum » In the News

Anyone get busted in the latest RIAA whine fest?

• Anyone get busted in the latest RIAA whine fest?

• zarks said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2004, 21:34
    They have only sued 5000 people out of millions using P2P so the chances of getting sued are pretty tiny. I think I read somewhere it would take something like 1000 years for them to sue everybody at the current rate. You are probably more likely to be knocked down in the street than get caught. I live in the UK anyway so I'm not at risk. The BPI (UK's RIAA)have threatened to start suing people IIRC but they're not as evil as the RIAA so it's probably just hot air.

The whole thing is just to scare people into giving up. Thankfully it's not working though and P2P use is actually increasing. Hopefully the RIAA will get real and stop suing their customers when they see it will never work. I'm not too optimistic though as the RIAA are as stupid as they are evil.

Go pirates! Yarrrr!!

A malleable creature that speaks with a laudanum tongue
    And i promise you deeply
    The righteous will triumph over all adversity
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Oct 2004, 00:26
    Notice that theyre sueing people who STILL use Edonkey and Kazaa. While tons of alternatives are available, these people insist on letting their machines run on virus filled networks and install spyware laced programs. Let them keep using it, that way the rest of us can use different programs without having to worry.

Retards.

• They'll never take me alive. ;)

And I still use [Pending moderation], which is the [Pending moderation]. Name a decent alternative, and I/we might actually use it.

-Scott

• DC++ and SoulSeek! :D

• i escaped unscathed. i feel bad for some of the RIAA people though. they are just doing what they can to protect their industry. maybe i shouldn't, since they overcharged us for so long, but what would you do if you saw a massive lay-off looming on the horizon?

heh, but don't worry, my morals aren't strong enough to prevent me from DLing music haha.

Is this the right room for an argument?
    Edited by The_Pharoah on 3 Oct 2004, 02:34
    • zarks said...
    • User
    • 3 Oct 2004, 16:51

Re:

Quoth zarks:
    The BPI (UK's RIAA)have threatened to start suing people IIRC but they're not as evil as the RIAA so it's probably just hot air.

I now declare myself an idiot:
    UK music biz set to sue file-sharers

I doubt it will be on the same scale as the US lawsuits though (crosses fingers).

A malleable creature that speaks with a laudanum tongue
    And i promise you deeply
    The righteous will triumph over all adversity
    • sylen said...
    • User
    • 4 Oct 2004, 06:29
    i think the mpaa's threats are having more of an effect. two e-friends of mine have recieved warning calls from the mpaa for dowloading movies, while i have never even seen or heard of anyone that has been sued by the riaa.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Oct 2004, 17:59

Re:

Quoth sylen:
    i think the mpaa's threats are having more of an effect. two e-friends of mine have recieved warning calls from the mpaa for dowloading movies, while i have never even seen or heard of anyone that has been sued by the riaa.

Downloading or sharing?

• According to an article on a Dutch internet news site (http://www.nu.nl/) downloading is "OK", it is the file sharer's (super nodes ) that they are after. Can't seem to find the exact source of my info tho.

Quote me, it makes me feel special | But Nicole's lips bothered me the most
    Edited by proteusNL on 4 Oct 2004, 18:35
    • Smiff said...
    • User
    • 5 Oct 2004, 13:04

Re:

Quoth Zuggalo:
    Notice that theyre sueing people who STILL use Edonkey and Kazaa. While tons of alternatives are available, these people insist on letting their machines run on virus filled networks and install spyware laced programs. Let them keep using it, that way the rest of us can use different programs without having to worry.

Retards.

er yeah except ed2k (via eMule) is awesome for albums. so i am one of "these people". there's a lot of stuff on there i couldn't get anywhere else (including shops, including SoulSeek even) so i'm fairly careful and figure the risk (of getting caught - there's no risk of malware) is worth it. If you're interested in world music (music of the world, not "world" music) ed2k/Kad should be in everyone's kit..

Edited by Smiff on 5 Oct 2004, 13:09
    • Smiff said...
    • User
    • 7 Oct 2004, 20:17
    shit, the BPI (UK RIAA) is about to start (or has just started) suing british uploaders, news today. don't stop sharing, safety in numbers! ;)

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2004, 12:00
    There was just an industry meeting in England to go over suing strategies for Europe. But still, 3000 suits worldwide to date vs. how many users?

Music, like language, is universal.
    • Splynta said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2004, 16:42
    dont they sue the source of the mp3 whoever first put it on or sumthing. Thats what i heard anyway

• How would they figure that out? I don't think it's possible unless a file has a name, URL, and/or other identifying tag(s) in it.

-Scott

Edited by giveuptheghost on 8 Oct 2004, 20:36
    • Splynta said...
    • User
    • 8 Oct 2004, 20:33
    no idea

• Re:

Quoth Splynta:
    dont they sue the source of the mp3 whoever first put it on or sumthing. Thats what i heard anyway

I don't think that you can track that. But that supports my theory that they are suing ppl who share gig's of mp3's. Chances are that they won't come after the average joe user. But the whole thing is a problem. The ultimate blame is to be given to the record company's, not the sharers. But p2p networks or not, the industry hasn't lost a single sent from me. If I like something I buy it.

Quote me, it makes me feel special | But Nicole's lips bothered me the most
    • Splynta said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2004, 01:26
    hmmm ya remember that first person who got sued, some gurl or something and it was over nursery rhymes. Durno how much truth is in that, doesnt sound like they would have sued her just for them.

• i'm not 100% uptodate on my electronic copyright laws

but i'm pretty sure it's technically legal to download mp3s (in Canada), but uploading mp3s is a no go, but then people have interpreted the law to allow uploading aswell.

• sylen said...
    • User
    • 10 Oct 2004, 02:49
    Quoth jeffm24:
    Downloading or sharing?

they were downloading.
    one downloaded the butterfly effect off kazaa, which was stupid to begin with because kazaa is infested

the other downloaded Die Hard off of suprnova(i think)

Edited by sylen on 10 Oct 2004, 02:49
  • the other downloaded Die Hard off of suprnova(i think)
    I take it he/she doesn't have TV?

-Scott

• so what your saying is if i download off surpnova i will get sued?

the thing about my mp3's is i tend to download albums i already own for listning to on the pc and i dont share them through my p2p

am i liable to get sued?

could there be anyone more legendary hahahaha
  • No, you're ok. They don't target downloaders anyway, only people that upload.

• sylen said...
    • User
    • 17 Oct 2004, 00:33

Re:

Quoth legend2k:
    so what your saying is if i download off surpnova i will get sued?

the thing about my mp3's is i tend to download albums i already own for listning to on the pc and i dont share them through my p2p

am i liable to get sued?

i think youre ok as long as you dont have 93020949 songs and arent sharing

• TheD said...
    • User
    • 17 Oct 2004, 01:52

Re: Re:

Quoth sylen:
    Quoth legend2k:
    so what your saying is if i download off surpnova i will get sued?

am i liable to get sued?

i think youre ok as long as you dont have 93020949 songs and arent sharing

yeah, that'd just be mean to the rest of us ;)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.