Forum » In the News

Skydiver Survives 1000ft Fall

• Skydiver Survives 1000ft Fall

A skydiver has survived after his parachute failed to open during a 10,000ft freefall.
    He crashed onto the roof of an aircraft hangar and was rescued by emergency crews at the airfield near Whitchurch, Shropshire.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said the man had been airlifted to hospital in a stable condition after the accident on Friday.

A spokeswoman said: "The man is reported to have fallen approximately 1,000 feet, spiralling to the ground following a 10,000-foot sky-dive."

The spokeswoman added: "The incident is believed to have happened following a parachute malfunction."

The skydiver, believed to be in his 40s, was treated at the scene for potentially serious head and neck injuries and was taken to hospital for further assessment and treatment.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-...entid=149192747

Say what?

Semiotic Forums - General chat. Politics. Religion. Issues. Headline News. Lifestyle. Join Today!
  • hacks......

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2009, 13:15
    his parachute failed to open on a 10,000 feet skydive, yet he only fell 1000 feet?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2009, 21:22
    dankine said:
    his parachute failed to open on a 10,000 feet skydive, yet he only fell 1000 feet?

you don't open it at 10,000 feet..... that would be parachuting, not sky diving.

• buzz-in said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2009, 21:59
    Doesn't that mean he fell 10,000 feet?

• buzz-in said:
    Doesn't that mean he fell 10,000 feet?

i'd take it that way.

lost in the kingdom of Narnia,
    brought back by nostalgic feelings
    • DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 23 Aug 2009, 18:08
    seamuis said:
    dankine said:

you don't open it at 10,000 feet..... that would be parachuting, not sky diving.
    That he was expecting to do so for the first 9,000 feet doesn't change that he fell 10,000 feet, though. He jumped out of a plane at 10,000 feet and then hit the ground without his parachute opening. His intentions when he started don't alter that that's a 10,000ft fall.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 23 Aug 2009, 18:52
    which is exactly what i was saying.

• Fucking awesome.

• nuklr said...
    • User
    • 24 Aug 2009, 17:43
    Woah, if that's not lucky then I don't know what is.

• Llamahz said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2009, 07:50
    nuklr said:
    Woah, if that's not lucky then I don't know what is.

Maybe having your parachute work?

uhhuh
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2009, 11:57
    DFA1979 said:
    seamuis said:
    dankine said:

That he was expecting to do so for the first 9,000 feet doesn't change that he fell 10,000 feet, though. He jumped out of a plane at 10,000 feet and then hit the ground without his parachute opening. His intentions when he started don't alter that that's a 10,000ft fall.

there is a difference between falling with and without the aide of a parachute. (wether it fully deployed or not) I would think this would be common sense. the first 9,000 ft were obviously intentional. I wont argue that the total length of the fall is 10,000 ft. but there is still a distinction between the 10,000th foot and the 1,000th foot when he attempted to open the parachute. his fall trajectory and speed would have altered considerably by this action.

• Re: Skydiver Survives 1000ft Fall

Aktvsm_Aus said:

The skydiver, believed to be in his 40s, was treated at the scene for potentially serious head and neck injuries and was taken to hospital for further assessment and treatment.

Potentially serious; what an understatement. After ten thousand feet of free falling, I would think his bones should be in a million pieces, and his brains should have been mush stuck to the sides of his skull; and he gets airlifted in stable condition. Just goes to show you what the human body is capable of enduring.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2009, 22:54
    you all do realize that terminal velocity is 200 kph (124 mph) ? and he was obviously going slower than that. I don't get why everyone thinks he should be a "pile of mush".

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2009, 23:16
    you can go faster than that, and even if he hit the roof at 60mph...still not going to be particularly pretty.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2009, 19:20
    dankine said:
    you can go faster than that, and even if he hit the roof at 60mph...still not going to be particularly pretty.

you can go faster than terminal velocity? my point is that a human can take a more brutal punishment than that and walk away) ie: a car wreck. I just don't get why people think he should have basically been turned into mush just because he fell from the sky. the forces he encountered (and that were enacted on his body) were no worse than that in which can be encountered walking across the street and not paying attention.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2009, 19:45
    if you couldn't go faster, do you think there would be a world record for speed skydiving? or competitions?

and yeah you're right, we can be pretty hardy.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2009, 20:33
    dankine said:
    if you couldn't go faster, do you think there would be a world record for speed skydiving? or competitions?

and yeah you're right, we can be pretty hardy.

ive never heard of such things. I will have to do research, but I was sure that I have read from several sources that terminal velocity was indeed 200 kph.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2009, 20:36
  • lol

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.