Forum » In the News

Day of Silence

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jun 2007, 15:12
    I'll be keeping my client app closed, and not playing either the radio nor scrobbling any tracks, on Tuesday, from 00:01 BST thru to 23:59 BST (24 complete hours)

[P.S. to everyone: Feel free to copy my sig if it mentions "Day Of Silence", but please don't hotlink it -- it's served from my box at home, and the URL will be reused for something else after the event!]

• lbf said...
    • User
    • 24 Jun 2007, 22:29
    I'd love to join you people in Tuesday's boycott of internet radio (or something), but my Tuesdays are already reserved for being pissed off at the little teeth on the thingy that holds CD's in their cases, you know the way they break off and then the CD doesn't stay in place after than, man that pisses me off. When will the madness end?

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
    What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? - H.D. Thoreau, Walden
    • mhex said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 08:05
    lbf: buy vinyl dude! :)

• Russ said...
    • Alumni
    • 25 Jun 2007, 08:14
    We will not observe the US national day of silence: we are a UK company, and we broadcast to hundreds of countries. The US decision doesn't affect us much.

CBS have nothing to do with this - we are an independently-run UK company which happens to be owned by CBS. It makes no difference.

• lbf said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 10:02
    mhex said:
    lbf: buy vinyl dude! :)

I was only joking; I buy my records (CD and vinyl) at an independent record store, where they don't carry those plastic wrapper things at all. The racks are full of empty boxes, and you just walk up to the girl and request the CD to preview it or buy it. No wrapping involved, old school.

Edit: also, vinyl doesn't scrobble. Are you some sort of anti-last.fm agent? A pox on you and your house!

Edited by lbf on 25 Jun 2007, 13:24
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 10:42

Supporting

I support the day of silence and will not be using my client on Tuesday. By not participating in this action (regardless of country of origin), last.fm is betraying internet radio. This is anti-competitive.

• db0 said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 10:55
    +1 They should definitely do this. We need solidarity.

It is fortunate that what is necessary, is easy to acquire and what is difficult to have, is not necessary - Epicurus.
    • Jdraw said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 12:07
    +1 Too. I think i'm going to delete my account too if last.fm does not join the Day of Silence.
    At least they should explain the reasons of the decision of not taking part to the initiative.

(Excuse my english, i'm italian :P )

• Russ said...
    • Alumni
    • 25 Jun 2007, 12:19
    We're unable to participate because it may compromise ongoing licensing negotiations. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it annoys me too.

• RNR has written a lengthy explanation in the Last.FM-blog

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
    • my_key said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 16:31

Too bad.

Russ said:
    We're unable to participate because it may compromise ongoing licensing negotiations. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it annoys me too.

Too bad, but i kinda understand last.fm 's position in this. Business is a bit like international law... and you guys don't want to damage relations, because that could compromise the amount of music that's available on last.fm. But hell, let's make this a private initiative then! Just make the word go around people. Tell all your friends not to listen to web radio that day (but don't send spam please). It's not so much the not listening to web radio that is going to make a difference, because it doesn't affect the people we're trying to reach with this action. The most important things will be the blogpostings, the mails to your friends, the signatures in online discussion boards,... just spread the awareness about this. Oh and call local politicians ;) They are always thrilled to hear form you :D

• mhex said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 16:51
    Thanks Russ and Jester for some insight

• jonnie5 said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 16:55
    my_key said:
    Russ said:

Too bad, but i kinda understand last.fm 's position in this. Business is a bit like international law... and you guys don't want to damage relations.

Isn't that kind've the point of non-violent resistance? I say last.fm take up weapons and take off their clothes. And I'll take pictures. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
  • morpheous said:
    If they don't (And I sure as hell hope they do) shut it all down on the 26th... well, that's a sign the Last.fm I knew back in the Audioscrobbler days is dead.

I agree, what a shame that cooperate America has taken over the site. (CBS)

• lbf said:
    I'd love to join you people in Tuesday's boycott of internet radio (or something), but my Tuesdays are already reserved for being pissed off at the little teeth on the thingy that holds CD's in their cases, you know the way they break off and then the CD doesn't stay in place after than, man that pisses me off. When will the madness end?

Don't get me started on CD jewel case hinges. I think they were designed as weak point, as part of a conspiracy to make ppl have to buy replacement jewel cases.

As far as tomorrow, I'll probably just listen to my ripped CDs on my hard drive, like I almost always do. Last.fm may be a webcaster, but they are more than just that.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
    • ilyanep said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 18:27
    foetusized said:

As far as tomorrow, I'll probably just listen to my ripped CDs on my hard drive, like I almost always do. Last.fm may be a webcaster, but they are more than just that.

Same here

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 18:36

The day

"We're unable to participate because it may compromise ongoing licensing negotiations. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it annoys me too"

I didn't think it would come so soon, but it has. When corporations take over something, they ruin it and they are already starting to ruin last.fm. It's sick that you are placing corporate priorities over user ones and ignoring our voices to make a little small change.

• Jdraw said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 18:45
    Thanks to last.fm Staff for explainations. I really appreciated and helped me to understand the situation.

• Russ said...
    • Alumni
    • 25 Jun 2007, 18:57
    rkamens said:
    "We're unable to participate because it may compromise ongoing licensing negotiations. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, it annoys me too"

I didn't think it would come so soon, but it has. When corporations take over something, they ruin it and they are already starting to ruin last.fm. It's sick that you are placing corporate priorities over user ones and ignoring our voices to make a little small change.

I would have said the same thing 6 months or even a year ago. Believe it or not, we have to pay for all this music that you're hearing, and that means that the money we make from your advertising and subscriptions is going to the major labels (among others). And we've been doing this for years.

We have to play with the big corporations because otherwise there would be no more music.

I am tied because there are rules to what I can reveal without pissing the various parties off. It frustrates me. You can read more here from our CEO Felix.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 19:44

A response

I read the blog posting and I understand that all of this music is being payed for. The problem is that if we don't participate, we will be turning our backs on the internet radio community. This issue here is not whether we will piss off the business partners, or whether we will be able to hear major label music on last.fm after this. The issue is that you are sacrificing the desires of your users and your integrity to make everything peachy with the record labels. If they don't respect your free speech rights, then you shouldn't be dealing with them. I would be fine with only having non-major-label music on here because you pissed off the RIAA and I would prefer it to having you bend over and take this kind of stuff from the record companies.

• noike said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 19:59
    This has nothing to do with free speech, in fact, it will be cheaper to have more speech on air. It's about companies with a bit of faulty business models regarding Internet radio that don't want to pay some other companies (and people). But instead of dealing with it by negotiating, they stomp their feet and hope the public will do it for them and revoke the change. And people line up for it, hook, line, and sinker to fight for the likes of MTV. Ingenious really. I'm in awe.

"Warning: consumption of this bourbon whiskey may cause you to get religion, get naked, or get arrested."
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 20:23

free speech

"This has nothing to do with free speech"

This has everything to do with free speech. Basically, last.fm is saying that if they publicly oppose the new legislation being ramrodded through our government by the RIAA then they will lose broadcasting rights. That is censorship.

• noike said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 20:53
    In business, when you're in the middle of a negotiation, you don't do things publicly that might fuck it up and force you to accept a bad deal. This is true for radio broadcasts and it is equally true if you're selling hot dogs in Yankee Stadium.

A part of Last.fm is to stream music, it is in their interest to keep it streaming and not shut it down on whims. It's about projecting reliability, without that it's hard to make deals.

"Warning: consumption of this bourbon whiskey may cause you to get religion, get naked, or get arrested."
  • What Noike said, and also it would punish their listeners while protesting something that the RIAA is doing. Look at all the good that the NHL players strike did for their sport, pissing off the fans. While the players were trying punish the owners, the customers walked away.

"Just like I knew what I was doing" -- Foe
    • lbf said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 22:16
    In solidarity with both last.fm and the netradio crowd, I will download shitloads of illegal indie-label mp3's tomorrow. Right? Information wants to be beer.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.