• User
    • 30 May 2007, 12:02
    Why do I have the feeling it's downhill all the way from now on :(

Time to pull all my stats and find someone to write this kind of site again

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 12:19
    Looks like it has been confirmed: Music site Last.fm bought by CBS

• Definitely going ahead guys according to the great ol' Beeb.

[Pending moderation]

According to the Beeb Last.fm are going to be allowed to keep some form of independence and nothing will be changing at the top so I believe that the current ethics will carry on into the future. Hopefully this means that things can only get better from here on.

Congrats all at Last.fm

Viva la revolution!

My music tv channel - LastTube
    [Pending moderation]
    • gofes said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 12:26
    Well done last.fm folk.

• I just hope nothing changes.

• g675 said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 12:33
    Yes, really scared right now.

If this site which I spend SO much of my online time on becomes another media whore then I need to pack up and go, which is SOO upsetting.

Please don't let it happen. Please don't start pushing the CBS brand or signed artists or anything else 'corporate'. Please, just remain unbiased and agnostic.

Please.

• g675 said:
    Yes, really scared right now.

If this site which I spend SO much of my online time on becomes another media whore then I need to pack up and go, which is SOO upsetting.

Please don't let it happen. Please don't start pushing the CBS brand or signed artists or anything else 'corporate'. Please, just remain unbiased and agnostic.

Please.

I agree, but I do believe that this will be a real stooopid move on Last.fm's part if that were to happen as it would move in the totally opposite direction of the way that this great community was built up in the first place. The people that run this website obviously aren't silly themselves as they have sold it for a large sum of money and they will definitely have thought about the previously mentioned very hard.

CBS Corp Site

My music tv channel - LastTube
    http://tv.timbormans.com/user/mr_scientist
    Edited by Mr_Scientist on 30 May 2007, 12:48
  • I guess this means that there will be no more donations from me :(

• Splang said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 12:50
    Congrats to the guys on becoming fabulously wealthy and all that. However I don't think I'll be putting my hand in my pocket for CBS either...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 13:05
    Well done and all that, but no more subs 4 u last fm.

• hmm indeed. as long as nothing changes. but i somehow dislike the idea.

also anyone been noticing the influx of bands trying to be your friend a-la myspaz?
    kind of annoying/worrying.

• wow. Congratulations to the Last.fm crew.

People have to be realistic, web2.0 startups being bought up is the way of the world now. I'm glad its not google,yahoo or microsoft doing the buying. Last.fm also needs a US based owner, with deep pockets and who isn't one of the big four music labels. CBS fits the bill well enough.

This also means no excuses for bandwidth problems or late feature development - CBS has the cash.

I only hope that the Last.fm management will remain somewhat independent.

from the BBC news piece:
    Mr Stiksel said: "This move will really support us to get every track ever recorded and every music video ever made onto Last.fm.
    "With a strong partner like CBS, this is now within our reach."
    Mr Stiksel said Last.fm would retain an independent identity.
    Mr Stiksel said: "The success of the site is the most important thing. With a strong partner we can add the features we always dreamed about."

Lets hope these nice PR statements come true (fingers crossed here)

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • Make that a hmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmm...

I love Last.fm and I'm confident the founders wouldn't just blunder into something like this. So long as the site itself doesn't change for the worse (if would be very strange if it became full of US-centric advertising for American Apparel etc, for example) then hopefully it's for the best.

I'm certainly glad that Last.fm are being recognised and rewarded for such a great service. I wonder if the deal with CBS is that Last.fm will provide them with audience data, as opposed to CBS attempting to sell things back to us directly via the site. I could probably live with that. But no more donations.

• Does this mean I'll get all my donations back?
    Spread the wealth!

I've got a little black book with my poems in, stained with the butter drips from crumpets.
  • Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • I won't be renewing my subscription. Why can't small companies stay that way?!? Big companies control to much of the internet as it is.

I personally believe this is an extremely bad choice for last.fm!!

Thanks, Eddie!
  • I won't be renewing my subscription. Why can't small companies stay that way?!? Big companies control to much of the internet as it is.

Thanks, Eddie!
    • dankine said...
    • User
    • 30 May 2007, 13:52
    Based on the blog, good on you last.fm, we wish you the best in the future. It sounds like you still have the users at the forefront of your mind, so I have good feelings about this.

• Dudeking said:
    I won't be renewing my subscription. Why can't small companies stay that way?!? Big companies control to much of the internet as it is.

Because Last.fm'll suddenly lose it's 'indieness'? Boofuckinghoo.

I'm just wondering with the internet royalty rates catastrophe incoming, how will it affect Last.fm now it's been acquired by an American company? Or will it not matter if Last.fm continues to be stationed in the UK?

But yeah, overall I'm wit dis.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.