Forum » In the News

12 dead in 'Dark Knight' Colorado theater shooting

• Alainn said...
    • User
    • 20 Jul 2012, 15:46

12 dead in 'Dark Knight' Colorado theater shooting

A gunman wearing a gas mask opened fire early Friday at a crowded suburban Denver theater at the opening of the Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 people and injuring 38.
    [Pending moderation]

The suspected killer, named as James Holmes, aged, 24, has been taken into custody by police and a bomb squad is checking a Hyundai vehicle in the car park for an explosive device. Police have found explosives in the home in the suspect's home.

Many children are feared among the casualties. Fox News has reported that a baby was shot at close range.

Eyewitnesses reported that a baby was shot at point blank range.

The University Hospital confirmed the youngest patient from the shooting is three months old.

Read more: [Pending moderation]

Timeline:
    [Pending moderation]
    [Pending moderation]
    [Pending moderation]
    [Pending moderation]
    [Pending moderation]

Edit: more info

[Pending moderation]
    New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
  • This was staged, just for someone to gain more power that doesn't need it. This country is falling apart.

• sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2012, 18:48
    Of course it was staged, he only spent what, 9 months planing this? That's a lot of staging.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2012, 19:16
    ^ This thread has already gone wrong :/

• ..and people believe that this guy was the only one in on this. If he had a handgun or a shotgun yeah, but how does one get their hands on an assault rifle? This guy is just a pawn.

• Do we need to lock this thread already?

• Bloopy said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 23 Jul 2012, 22:44
    spineshank155 said:
    how does one get their hands on an assault rifle?
    From the assault rifle shop. It's the USA. I guess for most people who buy them it's just a harmless hobby.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/21/how-alleged-colorado-shooter-james-holmes-bought-his-guns.html
    Over that eight-week period, according to a local law-enforcement source who spoke on the condition of anonymity, he purchased four more weapons, including a shotgun and an assault rifle from different gun shops around Aurora and Denver—and 6,000 rounds of ammunition from the Internet.

• sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2012, 04:06
    spineshank155 said:
    ..and people believe that this guy was the only one in on this. If he had a handgun or a shotgun yeah, but how does one get their hands on an assault rifle? This guy is just a pawn.

Its not a true assault rifle, fully autos are illegal in the US [with some guns that are grandfathered in; and many of those couldn't be used in a situation like this, no one was going to storm a movie theatre with a maxim machine gun]. Its also illegal to turn guns into certain configurations [i.e. if you cut a shotgun barrel down too far you can get in all kinds of trouble].

This is a semi-auto, the same rifles issued to US police for routine search warrants & very common here. The AR-15 was originally intended to be a fully auto for lucrative military contracts, but the full auto version was such an epic fail [liked to jam] that no one wanted it so they had to castrate it, and then people were interested in them. I don't know if you could say that "most" guns in the US are semi-autos, but a lot of them are [for either rifles or handguns]. We would have to create a whole new legal distinction of "semi-autos" if we wanted to ban them, as they are not "assault rifles" [in fact a lot of them aren't even rifles].

What he did was change the original configuration by using a 100 round drum magazine instead of the ones the AR15 ships with. This is most likely what caused his gun to jam during the attack. If he had stuck with typical magazines he would have had to reload more often but would have been much less likely to suffer a jam. According to the news when the gun jamed he switched to his others, got frustrated with them and simply walked back outside & sat down on the sidewalk. Would he have been able to kill more people if extended capacity magazines were outlawed, thus preventing the rifle from jamming? Who knows.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2012, 09:28
    Lastfmsupport said:
    Do we need to lock this thread already?

If you lock the thread that means THEY have gotten to you!

:3

• Selfsurprise said:
    Lastfmsupport said:
    Do we need to lock this thread already?

If you lock the thread that means THEY have gotten to you!

:3
    I don't understand why the thread was under threat of closure?

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
  • And it begins..

Aurora shooting: Colorado gun sales up after cinema killings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18980974

The number of people seeking to buy guns in Colorado has soared since last week's mass shooting in the US state's town of Aurora, say law officials.

"Or shall I perhaps know, That I was happy oft and oft before, Or must I be content with discontent..." - Edward Thomas, The Glory
    • Alainn said...
    • User
    • 25 Jul 2012, 17:39
    DaddyPobbin said:
    And it begins..

I've read that that cinema doesn't allow to carry (concealed) firearms and will likely search more active.

After the schools we'll see metal detectors in cinemas?

New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jul 2012, 18:06
    DaddyPobbin said:
    I don't understand why the thread was under threat of closure?

All joking aside I do see your point. Has the code of conduct been breached? Its almost enough to make one build a shrine to David Ickes.

• sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 26 Jul 2012, 18:40
    DaddyPobbin said:
    And it begins..

The number of people seeking to buy guns in Colorado has soared since last week's mass shooting in the US state's town of Aurora, say law officials.

There's a lot of different things going on that are increasing gun sales in the US right now.

- The presidential election. People suspect that Obama has been inactive on guns over the last four years out of fear that it will hurt him come time for re-election. So if Obama wins re-election, his incentive to care what people think of him disappears and he would be able to start going after guns. This is a bigger deal this time around than when Clinton was in office [the last democrat] because Obama comes from Chicago, one of the three strictest parts of the US on gun control.

- These types of stories often encourage local-level gun regulations, so people living in Denver & Colorado in-general have incentive to buy what they can now so that they can be grandfathered in if&when these new laws are rolled out.

- The UN is still in the process of writing a new small arms treaty, and no one knows what this is going to mean for US gun laws yet [since it isn't yet written]. Like above, people want to buy what they can now so they'll be grandfathered in if our laws take a sudden change for the worse. Mind you this is without going off into lunatic fringe conspiracy theories on the subject.

Now about that last point, this was in CBS news recently:

Campaigners for a strong treaty say the list of conventional weapons in the draft is too narrow and needs to be broadened. They also say the treaty has to make clear that it doesn't pertain only to arms exports but to all types of arms transfers.

Source.

An "arms transfer" is a change in possession. If I own a gun, and I sell it to you, that is an "arms transfer." What the treaty is supposed to be dealing with is international arms transfers; when a gun in the US ends up in say, Mexico. But some people in the UN believe that simply creating an ATF-type regulatory body to oversee international arms transfers is not enough, and they want internationally standardized oversight over all types of arms transfers. This would require the US to track guns very heavily [far more than we do now]. Some in the UN also want the treaty, that isn't written yet, to also cover ammunition which in the US has virtually never been done before.

Now even if we ignore the philosophical side of whether people should have a right to weapons, this treaty has a few points that aren't going to work well: In order to go into affect an entire list of 173 nations have to ratify it. That's simply not going to happen. Even if it were to happen, each nation would essentially be regulating the firearms in its own boarders. If you trust these 173 nations to do that [including the US, Russia, China, etc], then you're fatally optimistic and operating in another dimension.

Btw, certain guns and ammunition have been suffering from shortages in the US since 2007. That's how many people have been hoarding firearms, and how far back this fear-driven hoarding goes. Manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.

• james seems like have mental illness.

Seems more likely he had a mental illness than an ungrateful attitude toward his easy life.

• estuaay said...
    • User
    • 27 Jul 2012, 20:23
    I feel sorry for all the people that died or got injured by this, but I must say, something smelled fishy when I first saw this.

"A dream only exists to come true. I can't say it's out of reach until I've tried."
  • he left the building through an emergency exit door, which he propped open; he then went to his car, which was parked near the exit door, changed into protective clothing, and retrieved his guns so metal detectors wouldn't help in this case but were gonna see um

• sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 28 Jul 2012, 03:06
    rfruth11 said:
    he left the building through an emergency exit door, which he propped open; he then went to his car, which was parked near the exit door, changed into protective clothing, and retrieved his guns so metal detectors wouldn't help in this case but were gonna see um

Speaking as someone w/ some background in security,

There are things that would have minimized the risks here. Some buildings have alarms that trigger if you open a fire escape, for example. The theatre might not have needed to have visual security walking all over the place, but if they had put cameras in & out of the building and had a couple people stationed in a room watching the CCTV feeds they would have seen him put on the armor & pull out guns, and called the cops sooner. The cops were there in 1.5 minutes from the moment the first 911 call came in according to CNN, so if that call had started when he took a large unconcealable gun out of his car they would have gotten there long before Holmes gave up after having his main gun jam. Lives could have been spared.

I am very surprised he was able to get away with opening that door undetected. You'd think that in a theatre, where people have to buy tickets, they wouldn't want people being let in by friends this way. Just from a business perspective it was a poorly thought out setting.

I have to wonder if Holmes made a dry run to see if that door was alarmed, and whether staff were paying attention to these doors.

• Bloopy said:
    spineshank155 said:
    how does one get their hands on an assault rifle?
    From the assault rifle shop. It's the USA. I guess for most people who buy them it's just a harmless hobby.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/21/how-alleged-colorado-shooter-james-holmes-bought-his-guns.html
    Over that eight-week period, according to a local law-enforcement source who spoke on the condition of anonymity, he purchased four more weapons, including a shotgun and an assault rifle from different gun shops around Aurora and Denver—and 6,000 rounds of ammunition from the Internet.

Alarm bells should have started ringing when he ordered that amount of ammunition.

"I never picked cotton"
    • sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 29 Jul 2012, 22:26
    Why? That size of an order isn't that unusual, and none of the ammunition was unusual types.

We've been having chronic round shortages in the US for years. Our manufacturers can't keep up with the demand. People have been buying up all they can get.

The body armor would be more unusual, IMO.

• sgath92 said:
    DaddyPobbin said:
    And it begins..

There's a lot of different things going on that are increasing gun sales in the US right now.

There was a clear increase in the state, it's a direct correlation. Normal fluctuation can be explained by all the reason below but that extraordinary increase was due to the shooting. Only a fool would deny it.

sgath92 said:
    - The presidential election. People suspect that Obama has been inactive on guns over the last four years out of fear that it will hurt him come time for re-election. So if Obama wins re-election, his incentive to care what people think of him disappears and he would be able to start going after guns. This is a bigger deal this time around than when Clinton was in office [the last democrat] because Obama comes from Chicago, one of the three strictest parts of the US on gun control.

- These types of stories often encourage local-level gun regulations, so people living in Denver & Colorado in-general have incentive to buy what they can now so that they can be grandfathered in if&when these new laws are rolled out.

- The UN is still in the process of writing a new small arms treaty, and no one knows what this is going to mean for US gun laws yet [since it isn't yet written]. Like above, people want to buy what they can now so they'll be grandfathered in if our laws take a sudden change for the worse. Mind you this is without going off into lunatic fringe conspiracy theories on the subject.

• Bullet control

this video has been shared a lot since the shooting

• 5000 a bullet lol, not seen this one thanks ~!

• sgath92 said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2012, 19:49
    Andddddd... its started

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/white-house-gives-cool-welcome-bill-restricting-online-182934423.html

Expect mailorder & online ammunition sales to skyrocket.

• It's a terrible stand-point in American politics it seems, the left say that guns should be restricted and/or made illegal. The right says that everyone should own a firearm so they could fight back. To me, that seems like a really, really stupid idea.

Makes me glad i'm living in Britain.

Welcome to the forums, where everyone is happy.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.