Forum » In the News

scott peterson trial

• scott peterson trial

so he got the death penalty

what do you all think?

The Cat Game!

Scrobblermarried to +shanelavalette
  • [rant]
    i am postively disgusted with my countrymen.

- no prior criminal activity
    - no evidence
    - no weapon
    - no cause of death
    - no solid motive
    - hello, fetus?! doesn't matter if you named it.
    - the cost does not warrant the practice, ever. the figures

yea he was a slimeball (whether he did it or not), but god. the bloodlust of the average american is seemingly without bounds and thoroughly lacking any logical fact-based reasoning.

subtracting 1,000 more national pride points (already running a deficit of about 50,000)
    [/rant]

are you Seedy? |
    "It's quite interesting, you know, the number of biscuits that are named after revolutionaries..."
    ~the young ones
    |
    scrobblewedded to AnIndexofMetals
  • what's all this about??

• aradnuk said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2004, 14:46
    He the guy that (supposedly) murdered his wife and yet to be born child before scarpering to Mexico and dyeing his hair? Not heard loads in the UK, caught the odd snippet here and there (though I haven't been paying loads of attention to the news recently). Fill us ignorants in, eek?

• once upon a time in modesto,

*takes a breath*
    yea laci peterson, 28 or so, and super preggers went missing around christmas in 2003 (or '02), i think?? her husband was supposedly fishing in the bay the day she went missing, and he was a rather unhelpful cunt when it came to trying to find out the exact details about her going missing. turns out he was having an affair with this blonde ho, who didn't know he was married (she says). months later two bodies surface in the marina in different locations, one of a rather developed fetus and one of a woman. tests confirm it's laci and her fetus (who she was planning to name, connor). town in outrage, scott still being suspicious. no one paid any attention at all to a latina preggers gal who went missing around the same time - the investigation in that case was called off. whatever. scott comes to the natural conclusion that he's going to be charged in this, and tries to flee to mexico with some green. gets caught, cos he's an inept retard at the whole crime thing, since he's never done anything prior to this (if he did this). while he's being indicted, they change the law (i think federally) that a fetus counts as a full life when murdered - so he got charged with two counts of 1st degree. the whole thing stinks. i guess i feel bad for laci's family but god, they act like no one has been murdered, ever - hello, melodrama. and well all the details i mentioned above. plus she went missing at about this time, so that increases the whole melodrama thing too. anyways...way too many people were more interested in this bullshit than the presidential election and i resent that. still, doesn't mean you just wholly neglect due process because you want to see a good clean public execution. there is nothing at all satisfying about capital punishment in the longterm.
    *exhales*

edit: yea, please forgive any cold tone, it's unintended. i don't mean to trivialize the tragedy of a taken life. however, at this point, explaining a case like this becomes much like someone asking a brit to explain how lady di died. hope it cleared a few things up tho.

are you Seedy? |
    "It's quite interesting, you know, the number of biscuits that are named after revolutionaries..."
    ~the young ones
    |
    Edited by eekpigeon on 14 Dec 2004, 15:44
  • eekpidgeon- are you thinking scott is actually innocent?

The Cat Game!

• i guess i do. we're supposed to go into every trial assuming innocence. there was nothing that concretely proved to me his guilt. i think he's a slime. but at most i'd say he might have had a hand in it. i doubt very much that he had the lethal mind to carry the whole thing out on his own with premeditation.

are you Seedy? |
    ~the young ones
    |
  • Am I the only person who doesn't understand why Scott Peterson and his guilt or innocence is considered major news? Why exactly did he dominate public discussion for what seems like the last three decades? People get murdered every day, unfortunately.

I haven't followed the trial, so I won't comment on it. But I will say I am against the death penalty in general.

"I am firstly a great charlatan, though con brio; secondly, a great charmeur; thirdly, I have any amount of cheek; fourthly, I am a man with a great quantity of logic, but with very few principles; fifthly, I think I have no real gifts." Serge Diaghilev
  • its been especially big news here in the bay area of course, since this is where it happened

The Cat Game!

• Quoth ratnerstar:
    Am I the only person who doesn't understand why Scott Peterson and his guilt or innocence is considered major news?

That's what eekpigeon said.

I don't see how it was beyond a reasonable doubt, either, but I wasn't on the jury, and the fact that I'm even concerned has me, well, concerned.

-Scott

• yokom said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2004, 22:38
    Eekpigeon-

We're not the jurors, and considering the court was closed-session, we have no way of knowning exactly what evidence was presented or what lead ultimately to the jury decision (even if the jury members claim they simply didn't trust his story).

There is evidence against him that you seem to be either unaware of or chose to ignore, like the fact that the last place he was seen by witnesses before his wife's murder was where her body turned up.

• yeah- he was "fishing" at point isabelle--where her body was later discovered.

and he called lacys mom to tell her lacy was missing--when she'd only been gone a few hours.

juust a little suspicious

The Cat Game!

• *loves how accusatory these boards get upon dissenting opinion*

:D

are you Seedy? |
    ~the young ones
    |
    • jonnie5 said...
    • User
    • 15 Dec 2004, 02:32
    Weren't like 3 or 4 jurors kicked off the trial? That's a little shakey... I would want a mistrial or something if I were him, or atleast an appeal, but I'm sure he's in the process of that.

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
  • yeah hes totally going to appeal

and, things are so backed up he probably wont get put to death for years

The Cat Game!

• I was going to say something in regards to this, but then I remembered that I don't fucking care.

• AAAAAAAAAAH OMG WHO CARES? ITS ALL I EVER HEAR ABOUT ON THE NEWS AND I DON'T CARE. THEY SHOULD JUST SENTENCE HIM AND I'LL NEVER HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT HIM AGAIN!!!!

If he lives, he'll write some crappy book.

• i guess i care because it happened close to home.

The Cat Game!

• We should all care because, well, it goes to show the paradox of American society. If someone else has blood on their hands, they deserve to die. But when when we (as a society) do it, we call it justice. What is it that allows one person to be condemned for killing yet many of us to be absolved for spporting a law that does the same? And this goes beyond US borders. Milosevic killed millions... it was a crime; yet if the international court could sentence to death (which he would probaby get) the US would be one of the only developed nations in the world that would support it. (Even though we don't recognize the court out of convenience for our own war criminals.) Other countries have seen this paradox for years. Why is our society so far behind?

< > Re-committing myself to my Scrobblernana Sarey. < >
    • jonnie5 said...
    • User
    • 15 Dec 2004, 20:59
    Who let Ghandi in here?

My enemies will find you and kill you to get to me, because secret identities are for the safety of you, not me.
  • so who here thinks he's guilty? innocent?

The Cat Game!

• He's guilty as sin.

I'm opposed to the death penalty. However, the state of California never really uses it anway....despite how many people they have on death row. Most of the people on death row in California will die long before being executed.

I'm glad he got the death sentence only because it means he'll never walk the street again. The people totally bypassed the parole boards this time around and it's probably a good thing.

• I've managed to remain fairly apathetic about the trial itself, just like the OJ trial. However, what appears to me to be the public's desire to quickly condemn the guy does bother me. Months before the trial had ended and people wanted him locked up or dead. The best I could get from anyone I talked to at the time was that he "acted guilty". That's it? How would you act if you thought you were going to be accused of murder? I don't think anyone really knows. We're (public, media) convicting suspects based on the way they act? That's scary.

But I admit, I haven't been following the trial at all. For all I know there's video of him doing it and I sound like a fool. At this point, I'd like to think we can trust the judicial system and when the jury says 'guilty', I can feel confident they've made the right decision. Hah.

Dip cones will drip no matter how they are made.
  • I think the public as a whole had a really harsh emotional reaction to the case.

I followed the case pretty closely, mostly because I'm a Court TV nut. I can understand being scared by the public condemning this man before the trial though.

In all reality, the prosecution had so much circumstantial evidence against him that you can rest assured that no one else couldh've done it.

• Re:

Quoth RottenBerry:
    In all reality, the prosecution had so much circumstantial evidence against him that you can rest assured that no one else couldh've done it.

That's what I've heard. Even my fiance says as much and she's pretty smart. So they probably got the right guy.

All of this reminds me, I need to check up on how things are going with the West Memphis Three.

Dip cones will drip no matter how they are made.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.