Forum » Feedback and Ideas

June 2nd site update: Friend Finder beta

• June 2nd site update: Friend Finder beta

Hello!

We've got an exciting update for you today: the new Last.fm Friend Finder. We've been working feverishly on this for the past few weeks, and it's ready for some carefully selected people (that's you!) to give it a spin. This is a subscriber-only beta for now, but it'll soon be available to everybody.

You can use your Facebook, Gmail, or Yahoo contacts to find friends on Last.fm, as well as friends of your existing Last.fm friends. Once you've allowed Last.fm to access your contacts, you'll see a page of your friends – ready to add those you like, and skip over those you're not so keen on. :)

We take your privacy seriously and understand some people won't want to be found. By default nobody will see your Last.fm username or have any links to your profile – they'll know you have an account on Last.fm and can send you a friend request, but that's it. Of course, it works better if you opt in so we can tell your friends more about you. Or if you want to be completely invisible, you can opt out completely too. These options are available to all users now, not just beta testers.

As this is beta there's bound to be some rough edges and bugs – you can report them in this thread. We'd also love to hear your general feedback, good and bad. Depending on your circle of friends you may find that your Facebook friends are a little sparse to begin with, but that'll improve as more people use the friend finder. Gmail and Yahoo'll be awesome off the bat, though.

So what are you waiting for? If you're a subscriber you should check out the beta now. If you're not, why not subscribe and check it out?

We hope you like it and can't wait to hear your feedback,

— Team Last.fm.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 2 Jun 2011, 14:55
    *opts out* wonderful! Thanks for listening and giving us options. Great stuff. :)

• Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 2 Jun 2011, 14:58
    I love the friend finder already. Found lots of people I didn't know had a Last.fm account :D. Have been waiting a long time for this. thanks.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • It is great, the only problem for me was:

I added 5 of the 6 facebook people it suggested, at this point they disappear from the page, I can't remember who they were now and can't find anywhere I can view pending friend requests (outgoing not incoming).

It might be good if you could either view all sent friend requests or if they stayed on the find friends page as invited.

Edit: Just to make it clear I LOVE the new feature!!! Absolutely fantastic, last.fm getting more social is a major plus!

• Correct me if I've got this wrong...

If the user doesn't opt in or out, what's displayed is:
    Bob Jones is on Last.fm
    Top artist: Spice Girls
    Add Friend
    And if I opt out, I don't show up anywhere. But what happens now that I've opted in, does everyone get a link to my profile? That'd be what I expect.

Love this feature guys, thanks!

Sweet, we found 4 people from Facebook that you might want to be friends with.
    Sweet, we found 112 people from Google Mail that you might want to be friends with.

• alexmuller said:
    And if I opt out, I don't show up anywhere. But what happens now that I've opted in, does everyone get a link to my profile? That'd be what I expect.
    Sure enough, that's exactly what you get. :)

• vassyz said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2011, 16:12
    Is it down?

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2011, 16:14
    doesn't look like it

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Naijca said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 2 Jun 2011, 16:43

RE: Friend Finder

This feature is awesome and I've waited on it for years, thank you so much!

One thing: It should have a way of visiting their profile so we'll know their username and be able to visit them before requesting a friendship.

Additional suggestions:
    - Hotmail
    - Twitter

Hear their screams, such sweet music. ♥ Message me → [Inbox]
    Last.fmで顧客サポートを行う。日本語でおk! → [メール]
  • Re: RE: Friend Finder

Naijca said:
    One thing: It should have a way of visiting their profile so we'll know their username and be able to visit them before requesting a friendship.

Once a user's opted in you'll get those details – you can expect to see more of them once more people start using the friend finder.

• Naijca said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 2 Jun 2011, 18:22

Re: Re: RE: Friend Finder

acreature said:
    Naijca said:

Once a user's opted in you'll get those details – you can expect to see more of them once more people start using the friend finder.
    I just don't see why it's looked at as private if you already have them on Facebook, which means you most likely already have their real name and their pictures. Not everyone wants to share their music habits, I guess.

But I understand, I really hope we'll see this feature in the future though, once it's getting more popular.

Hear their screams, such sweet music. ♥ Message me → [Inbox]
    Last.fmで顧客サポートを行う。日本語でおk! → [メール]
    • snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 2 Jun 2011, 18:38

Re: June 2nd site update: Friend Finder beta

acreature said:
    We take your privacy seriously and understand some people won't want to be found. By default nobody will see your Last.fm username or have any links to your profile – they'll know you have an account on Last.fm and can send you a friend request, but that's it. Of course, it works better if you opt in so we can tell your friends more about you. Or if you want to be completely invisible, you can opt out completely too. These options are available to all users now, not just beta testers.
    /me also opts out.

Thanks for including that bit.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Adzin said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2011, 19:39
    Nice feature, thanks! The more friends the better IMO

*opts in*

"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'" - Karl Pilkington
    • akrde said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2011, 21:09
    Also opt out for me, thanks for the update anyway.

• rwitte said...
    • Subscriber
    • 2 Jun 2011, 22:11
    As usual, many thanks for the update. I love the friend finder. How about importing Linkedin contacts?

• Just wondering if I understand the correct behaviour of the tool? Does it only find NEW friends?

Cos the one friend I know who has Facebook (with LFM account) is already in my friends list. When I opted IN I did not get notice of any new friends found, which I think might well be correct. But I thought it also tell me that that one I know on Facebook and has Last.fm account is already part of my friends list.

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • Alviis said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2011, 23:42
    very good, is a vital feature :) I liked too much

• E-Clect-Eddy said:
    Just wondering if I understand the correct behaviour of the tool? Does it only find NEW friends?

Yep. It's a tool to find people you already know, but don't have on your Last.fm friends list. People you're already friends with won't show up.

• Would have been funny but one week ago I deleted my FB-account.
    --> opt-out
    Still good that you finally implemented it.

• Unbelievable! You did it.

remarkably, after three years, i'm associating the pope with the word 'friend finder'. If you don't mind, let me try this: Where is 'Find faith' now?

I neither opt-in nor out. Thanks for that option.

• I am opted "in", hales yeah! Now this, is what I call a tremendous step forward and being a sub only feature, is super smart, IMO =)

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 3 Jun 2011, 16:06
    CrybKeeper said:
    I am opted "in", hales yeah! Now this, is what I call a tremendous step forward and being a sub only feature, is super smart, IMO =)
    The beta is subscriber-only, but it won't stay that way.

• DFA1979 said:
    CrybKeeper said:
    I am opted "in", hales yeah! Now this, is what I call a tremendous step forward and being a sub only feature, is super smart, IMO =)
    The beta is subscriber-only, but it won't stay that way.

Oh booooo! LastFM need to try some things to make a subscription worthwhile. Thanks for telling me though DFA1979 ;-)

I don't know how it worked, but the new 'friend finder' found one of my friends from You Tube. Although her alias is the same everywhere, so maybe that is why?

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 4 Jun 2011, 23:29
    CrybKeeper said:
    I don't know how it worked, but the new 'friend finder' found one of my friends from You Tube. Although her alias is the same everywhere, so maybe that is why?
    I see "gmail" on the list of sites.
    gmail → google → youtube

Not surprising at all.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • Re: June 2nd site update: Friend Finder beta

acreature said:
    ... as well as friends of your existing Last.fm friends.
    I guess that is where these come from? Maybe you should add an explanation to that page that these are friends of my existing Last.fm friends.

And I also noticed on the "Applications" tab of my Last.fm settings that the Facebook app has been added automatically: "Facebook - Bootstrap your profile, find your friends, and more." Maybe that should be mentioned, too.

It might make sense to add Myspace to the friend finder, especially for bands on Last.fm and/or their related user accounts. The same is true for Facebook "pages" and the personal account who maintains the band profile there. So it would be handy to see the related Facebook pages as well if you want to become a fan of them (which is different from becoming a friend of the personal user account).

Facebook and Last.fm work similar in this regard, i.e. with one email address you have one personal account and handle one or more band profiles. The difference is that Facebook now shows the admin of the band profile on that page if you want to. Myspace only allows one email address for each account though, so even if you have a personal account and one or more band profiles, they do not have the same contact email address which makes it more difficult for the friend finder to find a connection. But it might be possible to add the different addresses to the friend finder manually, so the accounts and related profiles can be found as well.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.