Forum » Feedback and Ideas

March 2nd site update

• March 2nd site update

Earlier today we released an updated version of the Last.fm website. This was a small back-end release. There's not much to announce, but here's what's new:

More Music Manager improvements. As previously announced, we've been working on a new version of the Music Manager. We've taken your feedback and bug reports, and made a bunch of fixes. Zip file uploads now work correctly, as do VBR MP3s. Overall, it's even more reliable than before. If you're an artist and would like to help us test out the new Music Manager, check it out and let us know what you think.

Bugfixes. The Christmas Radio filter now plays nicely with the mix radio, we've fixed some broken pagination in our web services, and several other things too.

Better translations on our mobile site. If you use our mobile site in a non-English language, you should find that our translations are more complete and make more sense.

Last.fm short URLs. This is more of a tech demo at this point, but we're now exposing Last.fm short URLs to machines on a whole bunch of our pages. Smart browsers and internet sites can use this info to give you shorter URLs – ideal for tweets, reading over the phone, or writing down. And because it's from Last.fm, it means your shorter links won't break if your URL shortener of choice shuts down. Here's an example: http://last.fm/+a4ePf. If you'd like to find out more and get some bookmarklets to play with this, RevCanonical is a good place to start.

That's it for today, but we'll be back soon with more new stuff.

• • Last.fm short URLs. This is more of a tech demo at this point, but we're now exposing Last.fm short URLs to machines on a whole bunch of our pages. Smart browsers and internet sites can use this info to give you shorter URLs – ideal for tweets, reading over the phone, or writing down. And because it's from Last.fm, it means your shorter links won't break if your URL shortener of choice shuts down. Here's an example: http://last.fm/+a4ePf. If you'd like to find out more and get some bookmarklets to play with this, RevCanonical is a good place to start.

Now that is a real improvement, I can really use! =) Especially nice for Tweets! Thanks LastFM staff!

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 2 Mar 2011, 19:48
    Thanks...

• Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 3 Mar 2011, 14:28
    cool with the shortener, I was waiting for this! Also nice to see even more mobile updates - hope to see the blog and the status page "mobilized" too.

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • rwitte said...
    • Subscriber
    • 3 Mar 2011, 20:51
    As usual, thanks for the update (and tracking)

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2011, 15:05
    @acreature:

Why didn't you mention the new version 3.0 for the iPhone?

(for details see here: Last.fm 3.0 for the iPhone)

• Out of curiosity...

Is there any chance that something on the back end of this update is interfering with scrobbling MOG plays on my Android phone? It was working fine earlier in the week, but it stopped right after the Last.fm app updated.

Not a huge deal ultimately, but I like being able to scrobble MOG mobile plays because it's the proving ground for music I discover through radio services on Slacker, MOG and Last.fm.

• Last.fm short URLs via api calls

Hi

Any chance these can also be added to the api - e.g artist.getinfo returns the short url as well as the normal one please?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.