Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Better randomization implemented?

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2009, 16:25
    I would be interested if there is a daily tagging limit though i haven't noticed one myself even when I used a user script to tag hundreds of tracks at once.

I'm also working on a desktop app right now that allows a some mass tagging operations so it would be good to know if its worth continuing working on it :P

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2009, 17:51
    I don't know, and as long as Last.fm staff don't comment, I can only guess. Maybe there is a difference between tagging artists and tagging tracks.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2010, 21:32
    Sorry to bump this one back from the dead again (particularly as it appears it spun off into something else altogether) but I've been listening to my tag stations all evening and things seem much, much better. On stations with substantial numbers of tracks, I'm finding that it generally cycles through all of the available streamable tracks before it starts repeating.

One happy subscriber here!

• Babs_05 said...
    • 12 Jan 2010, 22:15
    ahaa! see told you I wasn't imagining it! they're really good now. :D

• I was also wondering if I'm one of the chosen few now when testing tag radios yesterday, almost each track a "first-timer" and hardly any "golden hits". But I wasn't sure if I had finally banned them all or if something else had changed.

After testing some more today I think the algorithm still seems to favor the current top artists of a tag or your library, but chooses unplayed or seldomly played tracks of these artists more often now. That's better than before, but I would still like to hear those other 800 tagged bands on the tag radio than the same 20 bands with unheard tracks. ;-) It seems to get better the longer you listen to a station though, after one hour I was reaching fairly unknown Rockpalast territory. Maybe I should use the skip button a lot more...

• rubiera said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2010, 12:37

Worse than ever for playlists I'm afraid

I was actually looking for this thread now, because for me same songs seems to be repeated all the time when listening to a playlist. Of my 47 last listened tracks atm, there are only 20 different songs! Been listening to same playlist all the time, so how this algorithm complies with tracks/artists not being played too frequently is beyond my understanding...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2010, 13:07
    When I listened to Supertramp radio on Monday, it kept playing Radar Love at least once per hour. I don't remember it doing that before.

• rubiera said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2010, 13:40

Playlist after streaming 60 tracks (approx 4 hours)

1 song got played 5 times
    6 songs got played 4 times (which means that 7 songs actually was streamed at least once pr hour!)
    7 songs got played 3 times (which means that 31% of the songs got 83% of the streams)
    4 songs got played 2 times
    2 songs got played 1 time (among the first plays so probably before the looping started)
    25 songs got no plays at all, so now I'm giving up and changing station

I really hope this is some sort of hickup and not the result of some new algorithm. Please also note that all (or at least most) of the 25 songs that didn't get any plays, are songs that normally get streamed when listening to Last.FM stations.

• Strange... but I'm only listening to tag radios ( and ) and my library at the moment, not to artist radios or playlists, so that might explain the difference. I didn't have a repeated track since yesterday, as far as I remember. Maybe I'm just riding on one of those rare big waves... ;-)

• Babs_05 said...
    • 13 Jan 2010, 17:21
    I stopped bothering with playlists after the site redesign. No point wasting time on them.

Yes, tag radios. Much better.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2010, 17:35
    Ah yes. My 'good experiences' yesterday were with tag stations, not playlists. And all of my previous 'bad experiences' were with playlists.

Maybe the improved randomization has only been applied to tags, not playlists...?

• Babs_05 said...
    • 13 Jan 2010, 19:30
    I wouldn't bother with playlists at all. What works against them is the 200 limit. Of course that's going to mess things up, it makes total sense to me.

Tag radios are unlimited and the more you add, the better the experience. I was just trying out my 'my gang albums 2010' this afternoon. There's not that much in there yet (obviously!) so there was some repetition, not of songs, but of albums, and some albums seem to rotate more than others. But I might have imagined that as I'm not sure I liked one in particular and I kept noticing it. : /

The machine has a choice: either to stop playing when it reaches the end of the line; or it can start repeating.

Personally, I'd rather it started repeating as long as it carries on playing, because once I set a radio to play, I don't want to be forced to come back and nursemaid it. So when I do meet with repetition on smaller radios, I don't mind, I know it's to be expected.

If people really, really, really want playlists, there are any number of streaming services out there that are offering them nowadays. It's not a strength for Last.fm. The strength here is for tag radios, the bigger the better. And with the wealth of content here, it really is a strength.

• Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 13 Jan 2010, 21:02
    offtopic: im loving the gang 2010 radio!

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 13 Jan 2010, 23:10
    Thanks! :)

• vassyz said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2010, 17:14
    The Swan Song

This track is getting repeated way too much for me.
    I have a huge library and this track is in my 7 day top, with 14(!) scrobbles (and I've skipped it a couple of times). The next track that isn't player scrobbled has 4.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2010, 17:44
    vassyz said:
    The Swan Song

This track is getting repeated way too much for me.
    I have a huge library and this track is in my 7 day top, with 14(!) scrobbles (and I've skipped it a couple of times). The next track that isn't player scrobbled has 4.

what are you listening to?

• vassyz said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2010, 18:04
    My library of course. The swan song thing is going for some time now, just haven't had the mood to post about it.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 24 Jan 2010, 18:39
    So why not try another radio for a change? To give the machine something else to chew on if not anything else. You'll see a difference to your library radio after that.

• vassyz said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2010, 19:02
    That's not a solution, just to play another radio because a track get's overplayed. I can skip it, but it's just weird.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 24 Jan 2010, 19:06
    We do get weird anomalies like that from time to time, but I find that, because they're constantly working on the site, things change eventually. I don't usually bother to report over-repeated tracks either.

It is a solution, to play another radio. It makes sense, if you think about it. But if you don't believe me, I'm not going to argue with you! :P

• vassyz sagte:
    That's not a solution, just to play another radio because a track get's overplayed. I can skip it, but it's just weird.

You can also ban it and unban it later if you want to hear it again.

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 24 Jan 2010, 22:08
    vassyz said:

I agree with you, but did you read this whole thread?

If yes you would have seen that they are working on a solution to this problem already, as you can read here for example.

• headey said...
    • User
    • 25 Jan 2010, 18:54
    If we Skip more & more frequently does lastfm recognise and take us further into the past in our own libraries & to the more obscure tracks of a tag?

It isn't so much the repeats I get fed up with as NEVER getting to hear tracks from the bottom of my library. I've added them manually, usually from a neighbours library, but they do have the little 'play' arrow on them.

& was nova77LF's last comment on the 12th October? Is there another thread with more news?

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
  • (EDIT) sorry, wrong topic. phhht... :P

• percy74 said...
    • User
    • 25 Jan 2010, 23:18
    headey said:
    It isn't so much the repeats I get fed up with as NEVER getting to hear tracks from the bottom of my library. I've added them manually, usually from a neighbours library, but they do have the little 'play' arrow on them.

In my experience, if you manually add an artist or album to your library, the tracks won't play for some reason. It seems that the "My Library" station only plays tracks that are in your library. Try adding individual tracks, rather than artists or albums to your library if you haven't already and see if they start playing.

It's one of those quirky behaviors of last.fm that they don't tell you about in the FAQ.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.