Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Search Beta July 2009

• jwheare said...
    • Alumni
    • 31 Jul 2009, 18:14
    @namnatulco: Your issue with friends with no real names should be fixed. Still no artist image clicking in IE.

• namnatulco said:
    I'm sure someone else has posted this, but searching for tags is rather broken. Example. I don't know what causes it, though. 'post rock' and 'post-black metal' both work, perhaps the fact that it is less used plays a role?

Yeah, definitely something's wrong here. Another random example. It gives no results even though the tag exists.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 1 Aug 2009, 17:50
    Friends seems to come and go. I was just searching for StudleyUK. I got to his page eventually and just to double-check, I tried search again whilst on his profile and all of a sudden search showed Friends results again.

• famkeZ said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2009, 18:18
    I was searching for múm [MUM] and found it in the new version. Eventhough both forms of spelling or found none of the events are coming up. I would personally prefer to go straight to the profile (either one, and then if necessary click onwards to the other spelling) for starters, the less needless clicking the better as far as I'm concerned but also the events.. I know they will play some gigs in the near future but none came up..

• jwheare said...
    • Alumni
    • 2 Aug 2009, 09:31
    @Babs_05: The friends currently search works on a preloading system that's currently not terribly optimised. We'll be doing more work to make it more reliable soon. Basically we try to load in your full friends list the first time you click in the search box, then do search lookups against that prefetched list whenever you type.

It might sometimes trip up and fail to preload if you have a large number of friends. There's also a timing issue that might lead to it not preloading immediately if you click in the box too soon.

Sorry it's not terribly reliable for you right now.

• jwheare said...
    • Alumni
    • 2 Aug 2009, 09:36
    @cthulhupenguin: The results on the full results page are currently using a system we're in the process of deprecating. We've been working on other projects lately, but we'll hopefully be migrating to a better search engine for the full results soon.

Note that this is a completely separate search system from the one that powers the autocomplete, so you'll often see different results.

At this point we're more interested in feedback about the quality of the inline search results as that system is still under active development. That said, we're definitely taking your concerns on board for the new full search index, and a lot of the issues raised so far have hopefully already been fixed in the next version.

• Re:Search Beta July 2009

works quite ok... no issues as of today

Seven Seas and Seven Continents - There is a Whole Lot of Music to Discover!!
  • artists with the same name need to be given separate listings

hello -- my main issue with the search is that artists with the same name are merged into the same listing. For example, "Lucha Reyes" is the name of a Peruvian singer and a Mexican one -- in the current "Top Tracks" for "Lucha Reyes" the first is by the Peruvian, and then most (but not all) of the rest are by the Mexican. The photographs clearly show two different women ....
    Likewise, for "Paul Kelly" -- most of the tracks (and photos) are of the Australian singer-songwriter, but there are also tracks and photos from a U.S. soul singer.
    I would love it if you fixed this.
    thanks
    Helen

• re: beta test

Hello- the beta search is working pretty well although I agree that multiple artists with the same name should be given separate links to choose from, i.e., Bob Evans (there are three). Also when playing the Radio feature can you please leave out the holiday/Christmas music? It would be great if we could access seasonal music from a separate source/DB.
    Thanks,
    plummie1

• Re: re: beta test

plummie1 said:
    Hello- the beta search is working pretty well although I agree that multiple artists with the same name should be given separate links to choose from, i.e., Bob Evans (there are three). Also when playing the Radio feature can you please leave out the holiday/Christmas music? It would be great if we could access seasonal music from a separate source/DB.
    Thanks,
    plummie1
    If you don't like certain tracks, there is a 'ban' (or skip) button. It's a good suggestion to be able to ignore tags (ie. playing the 'folk minus christmas'-tag radio), though. But someone should probably make a seperate thread about that (this thread is for search feedback).

henry27Q said:
    hello -- my main issue with the search is that artists with the same name are merged into the same listing. For example, "Lucha Reyes" is the name of a Peruvian singer and a Mexican one -- in the current "Top Tracks" for "Lucha Reyes" the first is by the Peruvian, and then most (but not all) of the rest are by the Mexican. The photographs clearly show two different women ....
    Likewise, for "Paul Kelly" -- most of the tracks (and photos) are of the Australian singer-songwriter, but there are also tracks and photos from a U.S. soul singer.
    I would love it if you fixed this.
    thanks
    Helen
    This is a long-time site-wide issue. It's related to how last.fm operates, not something the staff can fix in a few days (or weeks, or months).

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ze bunny! :O
  • wow I liked it. it looks much more organized but could be extended or give also some similar artists? for ex. I searched for torpedo boys but I was looking for torpedo boyz. gee only 1 letter is different. so could search say "this is what you re searching and this is something very similar maybe you re searching this"...

• IanAR said...
    • Subscriber
    • 3 Aug 2009, 18:28

Popularity Bars or Numbers

IanAR said:
    discordia23 said:
    the "popularity bar" partially hides longer track names
    'popularity bars', compaired with the raw listener numbers on the Español site ...

LastFM.ES/search?q=Little Boots Meddle&m=tracks ...

From LastFM.ES, we see the top three tracks have about 59K, 10K & 2K listeners, respectively (with matches at the bottom of the Last.FM/search/beta page at about 50 listeners). On Last.FM/search/beta the difference between 10K & 2K listeners is unseen - in fact any popularity difference resulting from 10K & 50 listeners, 200:1, is unseen (all matches after the first seem to have the same sized minimal popularity bar).

Thus, please make the size of the popularity bar: logarithmic (or some such) / more-granular and/or bring back the raw listener counts.
    Babs_05 said:
    * layout - I really do want albums to move over to the top right. Feels kind of in the way there. And I want better use of the space and more items to view. And we don't need popularity bars. Numbers are much more interesting. Not mad keen on pictures in artist search results. Bit unnecessary. Would rather more items in the list. Same for tracks - no need for pictures. Events and Tags - they're a bit big aren't they, those icons? Would prefer smaller ones and more results per page.

* hehe, thought I'd max out search to see what happens. Just typed in 'love' and got waaaah http://www.last.fm/search/beta?q=love. Click on Artists - yep, fine, and 'Love' (artist) is the first result, which I'd expect. Click on albums and I get http://www.last.fm/search/beta?q=love&type=album where 'Love' isn't the top artist, it's someone else with a much more popular album with the word 'love' in it. Good to see it's better focused now. If I click on tracks http://www.last.fm/search/beta?q=love&type=track I'd agree with people above about the popularity bars, numbers are better.
    Other than some possible influence on ranking, I see no indication of track / album popularity, in the current incarnation. Babs and I would prefer that, at least, numbers are present (all thoughs who seem to've expressed a preference).

Please don't hide our data. - Best, Ian

• blytec said...
    • User
    • 4 Aug 2009, 18:54

Search own Library

Very nice new feature - makes searching much easier!

I would really like to also be able to search my own library.

Greetings bLy

• Love and some reccomendations

LOve, LOve, LOVE the predictive search! I miss the "lyrics" search. everytime I search for something new it turns off the music I was listening to. Other than those 2 things...LoVe it!

• legaria said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 07:44

:)

I like it, well done!

*EDIT*
    umm.. I think I don't like it anymore..
    after playing with it for a while, I found out searching for a tag
    returns only 3 results. I like to listen to tag radios,
    search helps me a lot. old search was more comprehensive.

i my me mine, i my me mine, i my me mine, i my me
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 10:14
    This isn't directly related to search, but it's certainly affecting my site experience...

Currently, I'm rebuilding my "loved tracks" list (I'd previously exported it to Spotify, but stupid Spotify lost all of my playlists, and their service is no longer to be trusted!)

I've got about 2000 tracks to mark as loved, and the process is fairly straightforward (if time-consuming):

1. type artist/track name in new awesome search
    2. click through to the track page
    3. click "love track"
    ...and repeat.

The problem is, after clicking "love track", the stupid ajax confirmation message appears right over the search box! - so I have to either manually dismiss it, or wait about 5 seconds for it to disappear. This is SERIOUSLY slowing down my task.

Any chance you can change the Loved Track confirmation window so that it appears lower down?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 10:39
    If you are using Firefox, you could try any of [Pending moderation].

• Babs_05 said...
    • 5 Aug 2009, 12:38
    I find that Loved Track confirmation thing slows down my tagging too. It's like it's just one more thing for my PC to process. I do work fast, so maybe it's all my fault, but still, if there's anyway Loved Track could be optional, I'd be very grateful too.

• famkeZ said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 12:50
    I couldn't find a place in the new beta where I can search for something specific in groups. If it is there somewhere it should be much easier to find if it isn't.. it needs to be there, right now I am even searching the searchfield for groups specifically.. that is just silly

• hmmm.....

at first i thought it sucked. i didn't like it, thought it was unnecessary & annoying. now i like it. just makes things easier & faster. :D but a normal search works just as well. although the new beta search is nice, we don't need it. or do we? thoughts? PM me. :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 22:33
    Yes, we need it... for the reasons you said! It's easier, and faster (except for a few fringe cases at the moment, such as searching for groups/users)

I'm addicted to the new search already. I've barely even seen the search results page, the auto-suggest is so accurate that I nearly always end up on my target page without having to bounce through another page first.

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2009, 23:04
    Yep its absolutely needed, in most cases I no longer need to go to the search result page which is great as I don't like multiple page loads. Great time saver.

• Ok, I didn't read everything so I may be repetitive. I love the new search system but I wish It were easier to find groups. And into the group search I'd like some features to reorganize the results by number of members, by name, by language, etc. At least by number of members... because I can't find any group I want... I type like "library" and I get a lot of pages and most of them doesn't even have the word library in their names. (or maybe there is another way to do these searches?).
    Groups are important too... It's nice to socialize, in special when the main topic is music :D

:)

• fmera said...
    • User
    • 6 Aug 2009, 18:42
    jwheare said:
    Yup, clicking images seems to not work in IE, I'll take a look.
    it doesn't work in safari (4.0.2) and firefox (3.5.2) either. i'm referring to this:

U.G.L.Y. - changing the face of music, one artist at a time.
    there are some things pngs can't fix. for everything else, there's pngoptimizer.
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 6 Aug 2009, 21:48
    That's what I meant when I reported it, fmera. Doesn't work in Firefox 3.0.13. Didn't work in 3.0.2 either (I think that's the version I had yesterday).

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.