Forum » Feedback and Ideas

CBS handed over USER DATA (including IP addresses) to the RIAA

• Now, TechCrunch's journalism is pretty shitty but after Russ up there everyone seemed to comment on a communal 'fuck yeah, pwnt'
    I don't see how a denial is pwning anyone... there's no real way to do that unless you force tech crunch to reveal their evidence for what it truly is in a court of law or something to that effect, since they didn't present any real evidence in the first place

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 00:29
    Protip: Don't hand out anything to anyone in future.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 00:29
    Protip: Don't hand out anything to anyone in future.

• poor 'Chris' - he really isn't having much luck with his comments:

Chris - May 23rd, 2009 at 5:30 pm PDT

I just want to say that if it turns out that TechCrunch was wrong, they should suffer some sort of penalty.

Somebody already lost their job over this, perhaps it is time to wind this down.

The data was not given, nor did it cross international boundaries electronically, so whatever was asked for, this is the result. People’s DNS records are still secure and as per the post are not stored permanently.

I believe the denial.

neither is 'Dylan':

Dylan - May 23rd, 2009 at 4:44 pm PDT

I’d really like to see TechCrunch go under for EU libel laws.

http://i41.tinypic.com/9ia3jo.jpg

"a fly crouching in a sandwich cannot comprehend how it has become more than ordinarily vulnerable" - ivor cutler
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 24 May 2009, 00:50
    norz said:
    HairMetalAddict said:
    During reloads watching the comments come in on that latest trash article, I noticed a peculiar thing.... 4-5 messages that were against what he wrote had disappeared almost as fast as they were added.

Responses there are getting deleted if they don't fit his agenda.

Seeing they were getting deleted, I manage to catch 1 as an example before I reloaded and, well, it was gone.

Just an example of the kind of responses that have been speed-deleted by that... someone.

Mike Shaw:

“Was there no data request by CBS in February? If there was one, was data transmitted to CBS? Did CBS pass it on to the RIAA or one or more music labels?”

- Their answer: transferring personally identifiable data (i.e. IP addresses) from the UK to the US is against data protection laws. We wouldn’t risk a lawsuit to pander to the RIAA’s requests.
    (...)
    I do hope they sue you. At the least, techcrunch is now the equivalent of the National Enquirer.

I'll note here that last.fm deleted noone's messages in this thread, no matter how irrational or over-the-top they were. Unlike this... someone (nice word for him, Russ, hehe).

I took the liberty to repost Mike's post here: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763573
    I did the same here - http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763532

and it would appear both have been removed! haha

... looks like once they don't like you, you can't post again. The number of comments keeps rising but the comments on view stay the same. :O

• norz said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 01:08
    Babs_05 said:
    norz said:
    HairMetalAddict said:
    During reloads watching the comments come in on that latest trash article, I noticed a peculiar thing.... 4-5 messages that were against what he wrote had disappeared almost as fast as they were added.
    (...)
    I'll note here that last.fm deleted noone's messages in this thread, no matter how irrational or over-the-top they were. Unlike this... someone (nice word for him, Russ, hehe).

I took the liberty to repost Mike's post here: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763573
    I did the same here - http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763532

and it would appear both have been removed! haha

And I can't even post a comment anymore, what kind of website is that??? Is it run by the Chinese???
    How can you trust someone who deletes respectful and intelligent comments???

Off-topic:
    There was a similar case of censorship in France with the main commercial tv station, they deleted comments for hours, then they misteriously stopped deleted them, leaving even insulting comments like 'TF1 is shit!'. Maybe they learnt. :)
    http://www.tf1.fr/tf1-et-vous/reponse-a-vos-questions/bonjour-pouvez-vous-expliquer-le-licenciement-de-mr-jerome-bourreau-4406123.html

• "a fly crouching in a sandwich cannot comprehend how it has become more than ordinarily vulnerable" - ivor cutler
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 24 May 2009, 01:32
    LOL When I posted it was at about 35 comments. Maybe just under that. The comment I was responding to was this one - http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/23/another-blanket-denial-by-lastfm/#comment-2763608, the same as in trixietrinian's jpg.

Now, about half an hour later, the number of comments is at 42, and the last comment on view IS THE SAME AS BEFORE!

Now THAT'S entertainment.

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 01:34
    Wow techcrunch really know how to undermine themselves further with all that comment deletion.

This is really looking like a bizarre vendetta and nothing more, kinda sad they keep having to waste last.fm staff time posting denials.

Also techcrunch keep asking for definite proof...how the heck do you prove you didn't do something in this case, since there would be no evidence if it never happened.

Edited by maz35 on 24 May 2009, 01:41
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 24 May 2009, 01:37
    HairMetalAddict said:
    In this or any thread. Or your official blog. I really lost my temper the other day and was very unreasonable and emotional, yet Last.fm kept all my posts. I've never been edited here.

• the only thing sadder than michael deleting comments is lastfm users deleting accounts.

Michael Arrington (@arrington) - May 23rd, 2009 at 6:23 pm PDT

last.fm has turned off all communication with us. That was their choice, not ours. all we have at this point are emails and conversations from last.fm employees, which collaborate our story. For some reason Last.fm won’t publicly attack CBS on this.

@metabrew then we have nothing more to say to each other.
    about 2 hours ago from web in reply to metabrew

kinda sounds like your choice, mike.

"a fly crouching in a sandwich cannot comprehend how it has become more than ordinarily vulnerable" - ivor cutler
    • maz35 said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 01:43
    Anyone else looking forward to "techcrunch are full of shit part deux"? :P

• Babs_05 said...
    • 24 May 2009, 01:46
    I think we're writing it right now! LOL

• haha defo.

• This has been more interesting than expected.

321, are you ready to rock?
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 24 May 2009, 01:50
    oh look, they've allowed a couple of comments through, so the last one isn't the same as before. which means they're reading me here whilst deleting me there!!

LOL

• Of course last.fm are not going to admit to this having happened. If they did, their site would be dead and they'd be out of jobs. It comes down to self-preservation now.

Btw, how do you know that libre.fm is to be trusted? What's to say that the entire site isn't a RIAA/MediaSentry honeypot operation?

• rlux said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 02:50

Bah

I don't understand why Techcrunch seems to have a vendetta out against Last.fm - does Arrington have any investments in Last.fm competitors perhaps?

• And slashdot has now picked up this story.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/23/2149255

This is turning bad fast. I have to wonder if Techcrunch really believes what they're saying, as it seems at this point it's all a bunch of paranoid crap with no strong evidence.

• Feanor said...
    • 24 May 2009, 03:19

Re: Bah

rlux said:
    I don't understand why Techcrunch seems to have a vendetta out against Last.fm - does Arrington have any investments in Last.fm competitors perhaps?

Someone on slashdot has said the techcrunch is owned by a competitor, that would probably explain why

If you're a Kiwi, please join the Hurrah for Kiwialism group | Groups for cool people:this this this this
    • norz said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 03:20

Comments censorship on Techcrunch

I added the events related to censoring the comments on Techcrunch's Wikipedia page:

"On an article called 'Another Blanket Denial By Last.fm'[9], existing comments critizing the article have been deleted, and new comments have been filtered, as noted in the related thread on the Last.fm forum[10]. In reaction to this censorship, some users made screen captures[11][12] to save the comments before they were deleted."

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=TechCrunch&diff=291935186&oldid=290461115

• I, for one, am uninstalling last.fm immediately and will not use it again. I can think of no better way to protest this crap.

• i'm interested to see how this all plays out. if any of it's true, i will no longer be using this service.

• jtrainor said:
    I, for one, am uninstalling last.fm immediately and will not use it again. I can think of no better way to protest this crap.
    And if you do, the terrorists those guys will have won.

Ah, the joys of the internets. Proxy anyone?

• norz said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2009, 04:05
    With Techcrunch censoring the comments, I lost any faith I could have in this website. If they deal with constructive criticism by deleting and filtering the comments, how can they be trusted?
    With no evidence produced, this looks like a campaign of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Since following this story, I haven't seen any signs of last.fm censoring the discussions on their site.
    Plus I've known Last.fm and its team for a long time now, and have more trust in the them than in a blogger who censors comments on his blog.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.