Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Last.fm Radio to require subscription (outside of UK/US/DE)

• dankine: Maybe if you read this a few times you'll get it:
    vudu_rebel said:
    sorry xslf ) corrected

last.fm#DIV(class=messageSig)
    • WerBack said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:35

The New Group!

• dankine said:
    I didnt quote you. I set up a laughable example. which seems to have completely passed you by.

I think he (xslf) felt you were adressing him when saying '"you are unreal". I might be wrong... still doesn't exlude that a statement like "you are unreal" doesn't add much contribution to what should be a discussion about having to pay for the radio.

because we separate it ripples our reflection... in rainbows
  • At least you can still use last.fm if you pay rather than it being taken away altogether like some other websites e.g. Pandora: "We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S."

• Joe_Presto said:
    3. I also find it insulting that non-subscribers now have the opportunity (before monday) to start a recurring subscription, allowing them an indefinite subscription for the lower price. I feel it is only fair that this option becomes available to people who have already been supporting the site voluntarily.
    This point can't be made enough. I understand that it might be a coding-type issue, but the end result is the same.

Joe_Presto said:
    I love the site and the service it provides and I will subscribe regardless, but I don't hold last.fm in the high regard that I did previously.
    High regard? GIMME A BREAK!

• yannxou said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:44
    The more I think about it the more deception I get. Everytime I see geographic discrimination on the internet nowadays makes me wanna turn off, say a bunch of bad words to the humanity and go living back to a mountain.

• runwithvampires said:
    At least you can still use last.fm if you pay rather than it being taken away altogether like some other websites e.g. Pandora: "We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S."

Yeah Im glad its not worse indeed, but its still the same thing but on a smaller scale.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 26 Jan 2011, 00:52
  • WTF

Why the hell differentiate between users?!? Why not spread the fee over all users, that probably halfs the amount to pay per month... makes it less hard to accept the fact that non-UK/US/DE users get less free releases as well.

This is really insane, and I really regret to ditch Last.fm, a waste of the records and data. Seeing how many users already left, I don't think Last.fm will survive this stupid decision.

• why don't they say: Last.fm was bought by CBS for too much money, now it's time that some cash comes in.

it's not about music,
    it's about image.
    • yannxou said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:53
    I will keep my subscription because I still think Lastfm is an excelent service.

What I'm afraid is that what Lastfm has done sets up some kind of precedent and other sites find as an acceptable solution to the economic problem.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:56
    musicgodlything said:
    Joe_Presto said:
    3. I also find it insulting that non-subscribers now have the opportunity (before monday) to start a recurring subscription, allowing them an indefinite subscription for the lower price. I feel it is only fair that this option becomes available to people who have already been supporting the site voluntarily.
    This point can't be made enough. I understand that it might be a coding-type issue, but the end result is the same.
    I'm very upset about this. If recurring subscription had even existed before, I'd have set that up no problem. But it wasn't available till Jan this year and now I've missed it by 85 days.

I feel they could have bent the rules considering we've only had less than a week's notice. It is deeply unfair that they have not. 6 days notice is unreasonable.

I don't know anything about coding. Could it have been done?

Or - I just realised - they knew they were going to make this announcement some time before they actually did. Would that have been enough time? I don't believe that on Monday morning they got a memo saying "make this announcement or else". This must have been brewing for some time, at least since the redundancies before Christmas.

• runwithvampires said:
    At least you can still use last.fm if you pay rather than it being taken away altogether like some other websites e.g. Pandora: "We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S."
    Another almost lone voice of reason here.

Yep, I used Pandora till I got that message. TONS of sites WILL NOT WORK here in Japan.

What last.fm ran up against is seemingly the same thing. The difference is is they said, "OK, you guys, you wanna stay, you gotta pay."

They are giving everyone an option. Period. Once again, their execution gets FAILING marks, but we should all be used to that by now.

Edited by musicgodlything on 26 Mar 2009, 15:15
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:57
    yannxou said:
    I will keep my subscription because I still think Lastfm is an excelent service.

What I'm afraid is that what Lastfm has done sets up some kind of precedent and other sites find as an acceptable solution to the economic problem.

Yes. Rest assured they're all watching to see what happens. It really is the thin end of the wedge. The question will be - what are we willing to pay for and what will die because we refuse?

• rickmb said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 14:57

Re: Stop whining

gartenstadt said:
    It's amazing how emotional people become here. last.fm made a business decision, they need to do so since they are a company, existing in a capitalistic world. Surprise?

It's amazing to me is that because it is a business decision that somehow makes it okay, and certainly not something to be upset about.

Dumping toxic waste in third world countries is also a business decision. Or a bit closer to the source: everything the music industry has done to screw us over has also been a business decision.

Yes, the accusation of discrimination is often used as an excuse, but in this case it is absolutely correct.

Dividing markets in regions is business. Stupid business, but business. Telling individuals they have to pay for being from a certain country is discrimination.

I can charge different fees if I own a shop the UK and one in Germany, that's okay (within limits, there's some EU regulation).

But if I own one shop and then start charging customers based on what's in their passport, that's pure discrimination.

And yes, the internet makes the difference incredibly complex. Outdated regional music licenses make it even more complex for Last.fm. But Last.fm simplified the problem in a way that in no uncertain terms crosses the line.

I'm from the Netherlands, so I have to pay, even though I visit exactly the same site as you. There's no ambiguity here: it's pure discrimination.

I've seen perfectly normal people getting emotional about much less. Unless you're from Finland, I don't understand your amazement...

• Re: Re:Stop whining

AndreaUrbanFox said:
    gartenstadt said:
    It's amazing how emotional people become here. last.fm made a business decision, they need to do so since they are a company, existing in a capitalistic world. Surprise?

I agree that they did a bad job (so far) communicating this. And I agree that the outcome is not equal and fair in several respects, and I do not like that. But to come here immediately with the discrimination-cudgel is just paltry and cheap. I, being German (ahh! see!), must see this all the time in my country: often when you are too lazy to see the complexity of the problem, then call it discriminating, fascistic, anti-Semitic, etc. Guys, that sucks. It's not that easy, fortunately.

I would have very much preferred to see last.fm making another decision, namely letting everybody pay the same. I have no problem in paying a few bucks for the great benefit I have from last.fm, and this partially so dumb discussion here motivated me to finally subscribe today. I really hope that more people especially within UK/USA/DE do the same, so at the end last.fm can go back to an equal treatment of everybody. This separation is more than inauspicious, but just becoming filled with hatred and running away wont improve anything.

So stop whining that there is no free beer all the time, happy hour is over, people need to make money now (see e.g. what's happening with Twitter). It's not good that this is solved in this manner, so keep on making constructive comments.

funny how this level o common sense and mature understanding has been totally ignored by the scare mongers and whiners in this forum. tut tut

so you agree with him that people should start making constructive comments, yet you keep calling people scare mongers and whiners. The things he is pointing out are being discussed. Yet you are the one who has finished talking and can't come up with anything useful to say that hasn't been said before.

Edited by s_nijland on 26 Mar 2009, 15:01
    • Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:00

Re: WTF

Jerryhtmn said:
    Why the hell differentiate between users?!? Why not spread the fee over all users, that probably halfs the amount to pay per month... makes it less hard to accept the fact that non-UK/US/DE users get less free releases as well.

This is really insane, and I really regret to ditch Last.fm, a waste of the records and data. Seeing how many users already left, I don't think Last.fm will survive this stupid decision.

That don't does this to discriminate other countries, they do it because the HAVE to, or else they will go under. Those three countries gives Last.fm a high enough ad income

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • caban said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:00
    This will really devaluate the site for me.
    Not because I have to pay for what used to be a good service, I'm already a subscriber. And I don't really mind if it works out for last.fm to offer free streaming in some countries while not in others...even if I doubt that the actual habits of for example a Swede compared to a German is that different that it means that the German can get more services than the Swede that is paying €3 per month.

What really bothers me is that this will skew the data of the site massively in favour to the three countries with free streaming.
    That is an unrepairable mistake that goes against what I percive as the very core values of the last.fm service.

Last.fm will be a service for us, uk and de and people with other nationalities will become paying guests to check out their music taste.

R.I.P last.fm

EDIT: noticed now that my subscription just ended...and I won't be renewing that is for sure.

Edited by caban on 26 Mar 2009, 15:01
  • Babs_05 said:

Well, not a coding issue, per se. More of an accounting issue. One-off payments cannot be refunded. (OR can they)
    Wait, they can, can't they?

Monthly one-off payments can't.

Edited by musicgodlything on 26 Mar 2009, 15:03
    • Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:02
    caban: you're not a subscriber...

• Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:03
    musicgodlything said:
    Babs_05 said:

Well, not a coding issue, per se. More of an accounting issue. One-off payments cannot be refunded. (OR can they)
    Wait, they can can't they?

Monthly one-off payments can't.

AFAIK you can't

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:03
    On the reccuring subcription...are you guys absolutely sure that a recurring sub is indefinitely half price, seems like last.fm would be a bit silly to allow that. I must have missed the staff post on this...

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 15:05
    maz35 said:
    On the reccuring subcription...are you guys absolutely sure that a recurring sub is indefinitely half price, seems like last.fm would be a bit silly to allow that. I must have missed the staff post on this...

they said it would continue to be rebilled at the original price.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • Babs_05 said:
    Or - I just realised - they knew they were going to make this announcement some time before they actually did. Would that have been enough time? I don't believe that on Monday morning they got a memo saying "make this announcement or else". This must have been brewing for some time, at least since the redundancies before Christmas.

Yep. The recurring option JUST started. I didn't see it 6 weeks ago when I got my previous monthly sub.

It'd be hard to believe that they decided to raise the fee AFTER they implemented that option.

They should have had that option all along, no?

Who wants to pay for a full year if you can sign up for an automatically billed monthly subscription? I mean, what guarantee is there that a site will be around in a years time?

• maz35 said:

Yep: http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/517178/4#f8972985

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.