Forum » Feedback and Ideas

No Bookmark Ability?

• Exavior said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2008, 21:15

No Bookmark Ability?

I have both Pandora and Last.FM for the iPhone, and I have to say, I like Last.FM a lot better... it has more features, a great interface, etc.

That sad, I still use Pandora rather than Last.FM for one single, simple, obvious feature that Last.FM is lacking.... BOOKMARKS

I can not bookmark an artist on Last.FM, or bookmark a song...

This is EXTREMELY useful, as it lets me go back later (when I am not just passively listening to music) and purchase songs and albums by artists that I discovered.

Why have bookmarks not been added yet? This seems like a pretty important (and very useful) feature that should have been added from the start.

This is the one complaint I hear about the Last.FM iPhone app from all my friends, and the only reason I still even have Pandora on my phone.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Nov 2008, 19:25
    "Bookmarks", as you call them, are already available on Last.fm (on the website, and in the application). They're called "tags".

See more information in the FAQ:
    Tags are like keywords or labels that you can use to classify music – artists, albums or tracks. They are simply short descriptions.

You can assign as many tags as you like to any track, album, or artist. Tags are a great way to label items by genre ('rock', 'electropop', 'alt-country', and so on), but the possibilities are endless.
    Just create yourself a tag called "bookmark", or "to buy", or anything you want. You can add these tags via the iPhone app.

• Exavior said...
    • User
    • 2 Dec 2008, 18:57
    That solution creates more problems. Tags are designed to help the community categorize, sort, and search music. It is an open community feature, and not for my personal bookmarking needs.

And actual bookmark feature is still sorely needed.

• loved tracks

what i do to bookmark tracks is that i select is as LOVED TRACKS....then i can see my loved tracks...so its kinda like bookmarking

• i agree

yeah I do that too, but it's still a way to go around the problem that shouldn't be necessary, I'm mean c'mon it can't be that hard to do, just create a to buy list just like favorites.

• Exavior said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2009, 20:02
    Still waiting for a bookmark button!

Come on Last.FM You're actually making Pandora MORE appealing by the minute. I really want to delete their app off my iPhone, not yours.

All you need is a "Bookmark Artist" and "Bookmark Song" button like Pandora, and you'll have them beat.

• Exavior said...
    • User
    • 12 Mar 2009, 23:06

Update?

No update to this? That sound you hear... that's opportunity knocking.

• You can already use a playlist, the love button, or tags to "bookmark" a track. I'm going to move this thread into the Feedback & Ideas forum, as it's a request for a new website feature, not specific to the iPhone.

• Exavior said:
    Tags are designed to help the community categorize, sort, and search music.

Nope.

Tags are what you make of them. Since the system tends to filter to most common tags to the top it only seems like they're being used to sort by genre. Reality is a ton of us use them for bookmarking or personal uses, personal playlists or group playlists, etc.

I like to mix it up. I tag genres, playlists like great songs, and bookmarks like listen to more.

The fact that you can look at your own tags or global tags adds a dynamic that bookmarks provide in that you can see other music people want to .

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• Exavior said...
    • User
    • 13 Mar 2009, 22:18
    c99koder: The feature IS specific to the iPhone. If I am using the website, I can handle bookmarking with browser bookmarks, a text document, email, etc. But when streaming via the iPhone you are trapped in that interface. There is no clean way to flag artists or tracks for future reference, or manage flagged data.

And as to your playlist comment, that is true, but not when on the iPhone. Again, this is an iPhone specific request. When using the online service (via browser) the guest experience is well polished, has been honed over time, and does exactly what it needs to do. I would just like to see the same of the iPhone app. And if that means paying for the app, I'll be first in line.

Kerensky97: That really does seem like an abuse of the tag feature though. If this was a localized, personal, for your-eyes-only type of tagging, that would be perfect. But if your personal tags are sent out to the cloud, they should be benefiting the global community by providing pertinent information. The fact that you are using tags as a localized bookmark only highlights the need for a bookmarking system. It is not an ideal solution, it is a symptom of a greater problem... and one that creates a secondary problem of lowering the overall value of tags.

Tags on social databases are inherently designed to help the community categorize, sort, and search blocks of data into unique and useful subsets. Putting personal data into that cloud (IE: "My GF loves this song!") that does not help the community is something I would like to avoid, as I would like to help make Last.fm better for everyone.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

/Chris

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 13 Mar 2009, 23:11
    Exavior said:
    Kerensky97: That really does seem like an abuse of the tag feature though. If this was a localized, personal, for your-eyes-only type of tagging, that would be perfect. But if your personal tags are sent out to the cloud, they should be benefiting the global community by providing pertinent information. The fact that you are using tags as a localized bookmark only highlights the need for a bookmarking system. It is not an ideal solution, it is a symptom of a greater problem... and one that creates a secondary problem of lowering the overall value of tags.

Tags on social databases are inherently designed to help the community categorize, sort, and search blocks of data into unique and useful subsets. Putting personal data into that cloud (IE: "My GF loves this song!") that does not help the community is something I would like to avoid, as I would like to help make Last.fm better for everyone.
    Tags are personal. Tag clouds are generated based on what the community as a whole uses, but each individual user should use them in any way they see fit. It's not going to throw the overall system out of whack except in extreme cases (either if a very small number of people tagging that particular artist/track, or if for some strange reason everybody's girlfriend loves that song, and everyone chooses to tag it as such).

Of course, if you don't want to use them for 'personal' stuff, then you don't have to, but tagging artists as "check out later" isn't going to ruin the tagging system unless everybody else tags the same artist as "check out later" too. Personally I see my tags as being primarily for me (the [subscriber-only] ability to listen to personal tag radio probably re-inforces this way of looking at them), and that they also contribute to the tag clouds generated for artist profiles is just a bonus.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.