Forum » Feedback and Ideas

No username change? What about merge stats?

• No username change? What about merge stats?

What about merging of stats during delete old account?

This is NOT Support Question but Feature Request.

"Nearby Venues" are NOT enough!
    ...and another Feedbacks & Ideas here
    Edited by dayslypper on 18 Sep 2008, 15:42
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2008, 14:31
    As far i know accounts can't be merged.

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 1 Sep 2008, 15:34
    As in the FAQ, there's no way of doing this. As far as I know there's no reason to expect it will ever become possible.

• there's no way of doing this..

apart from writing a couple of lines of code of course.

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
  • Nectar_Card said:
    there's no way of doing this..

apart from writing a couple of lines of code of course.

Do you mean that skilled users can do it??

• The code has to be changed server-site, so no, a skilled user can not do it.

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • Just find a good name at the start, then it wouldn't be an issue, I suppose.

• I just had a thought, and it might not really be feasible, but couldn't an account "merging" option for new accounts be implemented in the client using the same code that handles "bootstrapping" for new accounts?
    The new API has Library methods which allow the playcounts for every track in someone's Library to be downloaded. If the client could download all the playcounts from one account and "bootstrap" them to a new account then "merging" would be implemented with no additional server-side code.
    It wouldn't be true merging, as the account being "bootstrapped" needs to be a totally new account, but since the main reason for wanting merging is as a way of renaming accounts this should not be an issue.
    Of course, the client would probably need to authenticate the id and password for each account to prevent this from being abused to spam accounts.

• worotan said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2008, 16:31
    I know this has been discussed many times before, but today nick == you, and since last.fm has run many years, nicks might have changed during that time. And some people (like me :) ) have grown very deeply into that nick. And of course, losing couple of year's worth of history - that won't be listened again - is not an option.

So, if you are fear of some kind of abuse or flood with user name changes, it would be VERY generous to give just ONE change per user (or maybe one change per year or two?).

You have created site that is very personal to it's users :) Why spoil it with this otherwise trivial feature.. :(

• Thank you!

You are first person that understatand that this is not Support question but Feature request.

This is not too trivial feature but possible.

It would be easiest if users have some ID (not nick) for their site.
    There would be bad-looking links but it would work perfect.

• A feature request of something that is mentioned both in the FAQ and in the stickified threat is impossible or unlikely to happen is not really a feature-request, is it??

Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • You may be right.

But e.g. importing of stats to new profile would be quite easier than complete rename. This is quite different and new issue.

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 18 Sep 2008, 18:03
    dayslypper said:
    You may be right.

But e.g. importing of stats to new profile would be quite easier than complete rename. This is quite different and new issue.

Not really. It's a slightly different issue which is also addressed in the FAQ (in fact, in the same part of the FAQ).

• As an experiment I decided to see if I could "merge" plays from an existing account into a new account using a client-side application.
    I examined the source code of the client application and worked out the format for the bootstrap file used to populate a new account, and how this is submitted to the server.
    I then created an application which, using the new API, downloaded all the playcounts from my account (I'd already got the code for this from another application I had created). The application then converted the playcounts into the bootstrap format (a GZIPed XML file), and uploaded the bootstrap file to a newly created test account.
    When the application was run, within a few minutes the new account had an almost identical playcount and to the original account (it had a total of 4 plays less than the original account), and at a glance the Library looks the same.

The application is nowhere near ready for release, and I'm not sure if the staff would be happy with the bootstrap protocol being used by a third party application like this but it demonstrates that such a thing is possible.

• Why should someone wants to do that? Why having a new account when you are able to reset your post if you want to start over?

some fear death, others pray for it...
    • DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 19 Sep 2008, 23:10
    HerrTwiggs said:
    Why should someone wants to do that? Why having a new account when you are able to reset your post if you want to start over?

This is if they want to change their username, not their charts.

• worotan said:
    I know this has been discussed many times before, but today nick == you, and since last.fm has run many years, nicks might have changed during that time. And some people (like me :) ) have grown very deeply into that nick. And of course, losing couple of year's worth of history - that won't be listened again - is not an option.

So, if you are fear of some kind of abuse or flood with user name changes, it would be VERY generous to give just ONE change per user (or maybe one change per year or two?).

You have created site that is very personal to it's users :) Why spoil it with this otherwise trivial feature.. :(

Spot on. I only use this nick on places it can't be changed - here, Gmail (I know, I could set up forwarding on a new account etc etc, but it just ain't the same)...can't think of ANY others. Yes, it's a pain having people change it all the time, but one-off changes should be welcomed. Perhaps take the Wikipedia stance - you have to provide a reason and that reason is then assessed.

• As an experiment I decided to see if I could "merge" plays from an existing account into a new account using a client-side application.

Can this theoretically be used to merge two seperate accounts into a new one, would consecutive numbering in the bootstrap file/your client be a problem? I'm just curious because for a few years creating a new account was the only way to get uncluttered radio, until yearly charts etc... so i have a couple of others around.

Also, you don't need high-level API access to get playcounts, do you? that could be a security/identity problem which the staff might not want to support.

• whatwillburn said:
    Can this theoretically be used to merge two seperate accounts into a new one, would consecutive numbering in the bootstrap file/your client be a problem?

The bootstrap file passes playcounts for each track so simply concatenating multiple bootstrap files wouldn't work, but providing that the application added up the playcounts from multiple sources before creating a bootstrap file it would work.

Also, you don't need high-level API access to get playcounts, do you? that could be a security/identity problem which the staff might not want to support.
    That's the main reason why I am currently reluctant to release my application. However, by using the authentication methods in the new API, I could possibly implement some form of security.
    Requiring the user to enter the id and password of the account (or accounts) that the playcounts are being downloaded from as well as the new account might be enough?

• ninom said...
    • User
    • 14 Nov 2008, 07:41
    Sorry, but telling, that it is not possible to change the name of a user is just completely wrong, or you have to worst database structure ever! Or what are the real problems? Please tell us why it's not working!

I understand, that letting users change their name can lead to some troubles for the administrators. (i.e. change the name to a bad word and change it back after some minutes). but I know some sites where you can change your name every six month, and there is no problem at all!

• like facebook =)
    but in facebook, several users can have the same name, so the name is not the key (and your profile page looks like facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=568432451825&ref=name)
    In last.fm, I guess the username is the main key (and your profile page is like last.fm/user/pumpkinlll) so I guess the structure is wholly different.

It would probably need a lot of work, and change many things.... but I'd still like to be able to change username....

• Russ said...
    • Alumni
    • 14 Nov 2008, 09:43
    ninom said:
    Sorry, but telling, that it is not possible to change the name of a user is just completely wrong, or you have to worst database structure ever! Or what are the real problems? Please tell us why it's not working!

I understand, that letting users change their name can lead to some troubles for the administrators. (i.e. change the name to a bad word and change it back after some minutes). but I know some sites where you can change your name every six month, and there is no problem at all!

The real problem is everywhere people use usernames in blog posts, wikis, and shoutboxes. If someone changed their name, all those links would break.

• Russ said:
    The real problem is everywhere people use usernames in blog posts, wikis, and shoutboxes. If someone changed their name, all those links would break.

So it seems related to what I said, i.e. in last.fm user pages url are human readable (which is pretty cool) like /user/pumpkinlll. If it was /user/132165364897 with a numeric key (like in facebook.com or userscripts.org), changing username could be easier, but it would not be as convenient as it is now...

Actually when I think about it, in userscripts.org, it is possible to change the username, and then the displayed name updates instantly in all forums where I posted messages (but they all link to the same page which is my profile page http://userscripts.org/users/72113)
    But the community is much smaller than last.fm so scale may be different.

Anyway it seems we are talking about a feature that is very possible in general, but applying the change would cause a lot of difficulties and mess, I think?

• Russ said...
    • Alumni
    • 14 Nov 2008, 13:57
    pumpkinlll said:
    Anyway it seems we are talking about a feature that is very possible in general, but applying the change would cause a lot of difficulties and mess, I think?

Yeah, it's definitely not impossible, but it's not a really simple feature like so many people make it out to be. I'm not ruling it out, but it's not a top priority for us by any means.

Ideally we'd change the way BBCode-enabled posts are stored so that we parse and convert them to an intermediate ID-based form to store. However, that's a lot of work considering the sheer volume of old posts we have.

• ninom said...
    • User
    • 20 Nov 2008, 09:37
    Sorry, but everyone who ever worked with a database knows, that there are also some id's behind the whole stuff. It's definitely not that hard to change it. A change in the database would change it automatically in all posts, comments and stuff.

No information from a last.fm staff member, why it's not possible? I'm really interested in the technical aspect...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.