Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Remove artist from Top Artists Overall

• Remove artist from Top Artists Overall

Hello!

Im aware that this is maybe an "FAQ" question, but i really don't find the answer ;&

Well, i have a few artist on my "Top Artists Overall" that are tagged wrong and want to delete them, how do I do that?

And if theres no fuction to do that, how about create one? I mean, i don't want to reset the whole list because of a few wrong tagged artists at the top of the list.. :&

• I'm not sure but it might be in the known issues link in my sig. Either way it's a common request and right now the only option is to click on "see all" for your recently played tracks. Then you can delete any submissions in the last two weeks.

If you don't clean them out in two weeks they go on your "permanent record".

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• Thanks for answering.

I acutally want to delete artists on my "Top Artists Overall" that are listed for example in "top 20" and have many scrobbled tracks (700-800 tracks)

I really wanna see a option so people can delete Artist such as we already can do with Recently Playeed Tracks.

Maybe have a trash-bin for every artist at "Top Artists Overall"..

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 17 Nov 2007, 11:17
    Killinstinct said:
    Thanks for answering.

I acutally want to delete artists on my "Top Artists Overall" that are listed for example in "top 20" and have many scrobbled tracks (700-800 tracks)

I really wanna see a option so people can delete Artist such as we already can do with Recently Playeed Tracks.

Maybe have a trash-bin for every artist at "Top Artists Overall"..

Why do you not listen to music you don't want added? Instead of getting it into your top artists.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 9 Nov 2014, 09:30
  • Why don't just add a option so people can delete artist like we do in recently played tracks?

I don't want to delete everything, just a few artist on my list. Thats all! :)

• mikebo said...
    • User
    • 7 Dec 2007, 17:43
    I do a webcast radio show, so my own show plus sound effects files, bed tracks, etc get listed in my top artists and top tracks listings. I want to be able to edit these lists. Please add this feature!
    mikebo

I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway...
  • One thing you can do to help eliminate this problem is to stick all sound effects and stuff you don't want on your profile in a seperate folder on your drive. Then go into the options in the last.fm client and in the "scrobbling" section removed the check mark in the box next to this folder so last.fm will ignore all plays from anything in there.

All comments reflect the views of the poster and not of last.fm or it's management.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Dec 2007, 08:35
    i agree with Meldoicstorm. You should plan what your listening or otherwise you might the artists that you don't want but i do however still want that feature, sometimes i'm lazy and i don't listen to much music then i might get Combichirst on my list and i can't be bothered getting rid of his songs off my list but I happen to ban most of his songs 'cause i dislike him so badly

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 8 Dec 2007, 11:48
    I don't see how planning your listening is a good idea at all, that way you're not actually listening to what you want to listen to, so your profile surely isn't actually showing your taste in music, and recommendations won't come out properly. But anyway, my main point is about
    sometimes i'm lazy and i don't listen to much music then i might get Combichirst on my list and i can't be bothered getting rid of his songs off my list but I happen to ban most of his songs 'cause i dislike him so badly
    Why the hell do you listen to the songs in the first place if you dislike them so much?

Also your sig is HUGE, shouldn't be more than 3 lines of text (forum rules, just to the left).

• Jazz13 said...
    • User
    • 8 Dec 2007, 21:35
    Why the hell do you listen to the songs in the first place if you dislike them so much?

trash the folder if you don't like the artist unless you're listening to them ironically. and yea, sigs shouldn't be deeper than 3 lines of text. you could fit all that on 2.

• Jazz13 said:

trash the folder if you don't like the artist unless you're listening to them ironically. and yea, sigs shouldn't be deeper than 3 lines of text. you could fit all that on 2.

Once or twice a year should be a "housecleaning day". Everyone should get a chance to erase one or two artists from their top artist list. Or every user should have two chances a year or something to erase an artist.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 9 Dec 2007, 19:47
    Bigbang77 said:

Once or twice a year should be a "housecleaning day". Everyone should get a chance to erase one or two artists from their top artist list. Or every user should have two chances a year or something to erase an artist.

sounds like a pretty silly gimmick.

• nociva said...
    • User
    • 9 Dec 2007, 21:49
    I just finally figured out why I have a certain artists in my tops, and it's because my brother's ipod has been unknowling syncing it's playlist to my account when he plugs it in to charge. This is really frustrating and he's going to put music that I do not listen to and I do not want to scrobbled. Sometimes I don't catch it until it's too late (for example, I can't do anything now not even in the recently played section)

Any help?

• Slug him in the gut.

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 9 Dec 2007, 22:05
    Several options, the simplest being: un-sync the iPod.

Could also have a different account for him on the computer. Presumably he doesn't like the same music as you, if this is putting artists you don't like into your charts, so having a different account and therefore storing music in a different place/having a different library would be quite useful.

And the person who said

That's a really silly idea. You realise that, right?

• nociva said...
    • User
    • 10 Dec 2007, 05:57
    I actually do un-sync it and I do have two accounts on my computer. I assumed that while I'm doing homework and he asks for it to charge and I click "do not sync", it should've been no problem but I was wrong. Oh well. Now I have to be even more anal about my music with switching accounts back n'forth and disabling itunes/client and making sure nothing scrobbles to my side.

I was talking to someone about this and wondered if deleting artists could be a feature that is only available for paid member accounts?

• Why on earth is it not allowed to delete artists from your charts? There are many valid reasons why people might want to do this, and some bizarre and convoluted suggestions here, when the obvious answer is simply allowing people the freedom to delete what they want. For basic privacy reasons, that should be standard.

Even if you've just been listening to or trying out shit music that you'd rather not tell people about, it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to remove the evidence. There must be hundreds of reasons why someone would want to do so, and why should I need a reason to remove anything from my public profile?

For myself, I have The Economist as my Top Artist, with 1,786 plays, more than 15 times more than any other artist. The Economist is not a band, but the name of the magazine whose downloads I've been listening to.

I've got no interest in moving folders around in order to compensate for last.fm's poor functionality. A delete or hide function is the sensible solution.

• Jazz13 said...
    • User
    • 12 Dec 2007, 19:57
    deleting artists wouldn't make the charts accurate. you concerned with accuracy or gaining scenester points from the myspace slobs?

• Well, to get back on topic; what KILLINGINSTINCT was saying, was that he had TAGGED a few artists wrong. I'm assuming it's something like "Iliekfood" instead of "Ilikefood". So the solution would probably be that of merging the artists.. but, as many know, that is not an option as of now(/any more)

• I've also had the same problem--I was giving a friend of mine a few artists and playlists to listen to on her ipod, when it started to bootstrap tracks (through Amarok on Kubuntu). The problem with this is that the bootstrapped tracks were played well over 2 weeks ago, so I was unable to remove any of them. Now my charts are inaccurate as to what I listen to, and it's even throwing off my recommendations. The remove option would increase the accuracy of my charts. If this is too "inaccurate" (and I see how this could happen), could this option possibly be some sort of administrator-approved function--such as name-change requests in the facebook?
    I'm sure there are many cases like mine (a few I just read above), and having this removal function would increase the accuracy of the charts and last.fm's primary functions in general--such as recommended artists, tracks, albums, etc.

-Kyle

-k.
  • @Kyle:

Interesting point. Since I don't have the problem, I didn't think about it; but of course it will throw off recommendations. So perhaps what you could do, would be to give a user an option to ignore an artist (or more) with regards to recommendations, etc. This would mean that they wouldn't have to give members the possibility to delete old data. That would only leave us with mis-tagged music, but a possible future merge-of-artist function would take care of that problem; I really think it is needed - it just has to be moderated.

• emayoh said...
    • User
    • 18 Dec 2007, 02:17
    Yeah it's been asked many times -- groups have been devoted to asking for the ability to delete artists like this. It's very complex from the database standpoint. To implement the ability to delete -- apparently -- requires some complex database processing.

Also there is fear that people would use it too liberally and screw up the grand mission to track what people actually listen to instead of what they want to tell people they listen to.

It's one of the more philosophically-loaded requests out there, with devoted opponents on both sides of the issue.

For my part, I had a plugin bug that submitted over 1K Gnarls Barkley plays in a matter of a few seconds that I can never get rid of.

I noticed that many people on my neighbors list have oddly skewed Gnarls Barkley play totals as well -- where they are more than double the next artist in their list. So we're forever linked as Gnarls Barkley buddies when I really dont want to see those neighbors any more. Nothing personal. I am sure tehy are cool people, but you go crazy seeing the same faces.

I keep hovering over the reset button many times... but I can't bring myself to wipe out the other 20000 plays. It's a gruesome limbo.. so I feel your pain.

• I can see the point of people abusing the power of deleting their top artists, but there are people who are very serious about their charts. (I for one) And by some cosmic miss understanding their charts get screwed.

The option to delete at least one artist you don't want on your charts would be helpful. Be it because your mother doesn't know how to listen and turned on your music player to listen to crap music and didn't turn off the scrabble. Or maybe you can't stand the artist anymore and has no stand on what you listen to anymore.

There are a few artists that I'd like to see gone from my charts just because they've screwed up my recommendations and no matter how many times I ban the songs I'm still getting the artist. If we can't get the option to delete a top artist, could we get an option to ban an artist all together from our recommendations?

If our world falls down tomorrow
    You be sure I'll be there with a net
    To catch the pieces falling
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2007, 11:17
    I really want to be able to delete at least one artist from my account. This would be very useful.

For example: My little brother played on my PC 22 times Mika's song "happy ending". This is a song that I really hate. I was then a new user on last.fm and I didn't know that I was able to delete these tracks for two weeks.

Now, this terrible (for me) song is in my top tracks.
    I REALLY WANT TO DELETE MIKA...

please...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.