Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Facebook integration

 
  • Facebook integration

    Update: The official Last.fm Facebook application is released. Get it now!

    I've been using Last.fm and Facebook for a while now and see similarities as well as differences in the two services that I would love to integrate more tightly.

    I would, for example, love to find users of Facebook through my musical preferences registered on Last.fm. I would love finding users on Last.fm that went to the same school me.

    I see so many possibilities here that it's difficult to mention them all, but I've talked with some friends of mine that are users of both Facebook and Last.fm and they've thought about this too and think it's a great idea!

    The first step could be to allow importing different types of entries from Last.fm to Facebook and the other way around, and this integration could escalate to unimaginable hights if the developers on both sides wants to! Please consider this! :-)

    «He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»
    Edited by asbjornu on 3 Jul 2007, 11:04
    • knatten said...
    • User
    • 27 Apr 2007, 11:56

    Yes please

    Pretty please with sugar on top?

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Apr 2007, 16:16
    I'd imagine this would be really hard to do and would require a lot of effort from both sides, but it certainly has the potential to be awesome.

  • asbjornu said:
    I've been using Last.fm and Facebook for a while now and see similarities as well as differences in the two services that I would love to integrate more tightly.

    I would, for example, love to find users of Facebook through my musical preferences registered on Last.fm. I would love finding users on Last.fm that went to the same school me.

    I see so many possibilities here that it's difficult to mention them all, but I've talked with some friends of mine that are users of both Facebook and Last.fm and they've thought about this too and think it's a great idea!

    The first step could be to allow importing different types of entries from Last.fm to Facebook and the other way around, and this integration could escalate to unimaginable hights if the developers on both sides wants to! Please consider this! :-)


    First off, let me say that I do agree with you that it would be good if the two websites worked together. That being said, I don't think it will happen anytime soon, as neither side would see any huge benefit from the partnership, and partnerships like that would take lots of time and/or money.

    But to offer some hope, I do know of a few independent programmers (myself included) that are attempting to use the Audioscrobbler API and the Facebook API to integrate the two services together into one website. Hopefully one of us will create something that allows people to use the two services together.

    500th Track: It's All About the Benjamins 1000th Track: Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) (feat. Jay-Z) 2000th Track: My Love 2500th Track: Jesus Walks 5000th Track: Playground 10000th Track: 'round Midnight
    • DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 28 Apr 2007, 03:26
    Yeah, it would be fantastic but I certainly don't see it happening any time soon. Guy above me pretty much summed up the main reason - no real benefit for either website, and a lot of complications likely to arise in setting it up.

    But we can dream ^^

  • DFA1979 said:
    no real benefit for either website

    ??? No one thinks being able to see what a FB friend is listening to at any time is useful? Come on! Then again, that would require work on FB's end.

    DFA1979 said: and a lot of complications likely to arise in setting it up.
    At the very least, L.fm and FB should be able to find users of the other service among a user's friends on one of the two. With some privacy controls, of course. I keep my L.fm profile anonymous for good reason.

    Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

  • DFA1979 said:
    no real benefit for either website

    ??? No one thinks being able to see what a FB friend is listening to at any time is useful? Come on! Then again, that would require work on FB's end.

    DFA1979 said: and a lot of complications likely to arise in setting it up.
    At the very least, L.fm and FB should be able to find users of the other service among a user's friends on one of the two. With some privacy controls, of course. I keep my L.fm profile anonymous for good reason.

    Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

    • Aioth said...
    • User
    • 28 Apr 2007, 09:46
    LANjackal said:
    DFA1979 said:
    no real benefit for either website

    ??? No one thinks being able to see what a FB friend is listening to at any time is useful? Come on! Then again, that would require work on FB's end.


    That's a benefit* for users, not for either site.


    * And only if you use/care for facebook.

  • Aioth said:
    LANjackal said:
    DFA1979 said:
    no real benefit for either website

    ??? No one thinks being able to see what a FB friend is listening to at any time is useful? Come on! Then again, that would require work on FB's end.


    That's a benefit* for users, not for either site.


    * And only if you use/care for facebook.

    FB's still my primary social network... just realized that may not be a universal fact ;)

    Windows 8.1 Professional // EAC | foobar2000 // FLAC Compression Level 8

  • Start out easy, then expand

    Please read my entire posts, those of you who are negative to this idea. Both Facebook and Last.fm has RSS or Atom feeds for most of the stuff that happens in a given user's profile. Integrating these feeds in the counterpart website is tops 1 hours work.

    Both sides already have feed software, all they need is to use this feed software to consume the counterpart's feeds and present it on their own site. That's the first step and it would be a very cheap and short step to take compared to the gained benefits.

    Those who don't see the benefits of integrating these two sites can't be using both sites, or aren't looking at this the right way. Both sites are built around the idea of getting "streams" (or "feeds") of "stuff" in given topics. On Facebook you get feeds about your friend's status updates, their photos, their posts, notes, etc. On Last.fm you get feeds of what your friends listen to, what you listen to, etc. If you don't see these similarities, then I don't know what might explain it, but to me they are so apparent that it's strange they aren't more integrated already. :-)

    «He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»
    • dankine said...
    • User
    • 30 Apr 2007, 16:05
    The argument people have with this is most likely not anything to do with the amount of work it will pose to either site.

    I know my gripe certainly has nothing to do with that at all.

    Those who don't see the benefits of integrating these two sites can't be using both sites, or aren't looking at this the right way.

    Well, that's your opinion. Sounds a bit like 'you're either with us or against us'. I don't really see any benefits.

    Facebook does what it does, and a lot of people use it far too much and for drivel.

    Last.fm is about music, and imo should remain that way. The groups system could be made a bit more interesting, but going all out on some 'social' offensive would just be counter productive.

    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

    Auto Corrections Group
  • Another problem: You can think Last.Fm should start to work together with Facebook. Somebody else might think that that is utterly wrong, because MySpace is ignored. A third doesn't use either of those two, but is a big fan of Hyves, and feels that Last.Fm should forget about the previous two and start to work with that social network...
    In the end, most people get disappointed because the integration with their prevered social network-site is not as they expected it... or the next update on either of the sites ruins all the goodies.
    With the number of social networks out there, starting to work closely together with one is always to make the majority of people unhappy.
    If anything, the team could improve the social part here, but I do prefer a lot of music improvements.

    Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • Then those who use MySpace and whatever social network service should alert the Last.fm developers of their wish to add such support. I'm using Facebook and that's what I'd like to see supported. It's just to subscribe to a feed, after all. However, it's the Last.fm->Facebook integration I'm most interested in, e.g. having my Last.fm feeds integrated in Facebook. I've alerted the Facebook developers about this too, but it would be nice if Last.fm was alerted as well, so the developers of both sites could start talking and do what it takes on their part to integrate beautifully. :-)

    «He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»
    • dankine said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2007, 12:15
    You seem to act like this is set in stone and going ahead.

    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

    Auto Corrections Group
  • asbjornu said:
    Then those who use MySpace and whatever social network service should alert the Last.fm developers of their wish to add such support. I'm using Facebook and that's what I'd like to see supported. It's just to subscribe to a feed, after all. However, it's the Last.fm->Facebook integration I'm most interested in, e.g. having my Last.fm feeds integrated in Facebook. I've alerted the Facebook developers about this too, but it would be nice if Last.fm was alerted as well, so the developers of both sites could start talking and do what it takes on their part to integrate beautifully. :-)


    A quick question:

    When you say talked to facebook developers, do you mean talked to people that you know work at facebook, or posted to the "Facebook Developers" group on facebook? Because those are two entirely different things.

    500th Track: It's All About the Benjamins 1000th Track: Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) (feat. Jay-Z) 2000th Track: My Love 2500th Track: Jesus Walks 5000th Track: Playground 10000th Track: 'round Midnight
  • hodayathink said:
    When you say talked to facebook developers, do you mean talked to people that you know work at facebook, or posted to the "Facebook Developers" group on facebook? Because those are two entirely different things.


    I wrote "I've alerted the Facebook developers about this ...", I did not write I had talked with them. In other words, I do not know any Facebook developers personally and thus can't give any guarantee to whether my suggestion went to /dev/null or will actually be handled in any way.

    «He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»
  • I think Last.FM has done a nice job developing a few generic tools. It is up to the people running the various social networks that people use outside Last.FM come up with ways to integrate those. In your case Facebook, and in other cases other websites.
    Personaly I think Last.FM has enough to perfect here before they start working on ways to integrate into whatever social website people are using next to this site.
    Don't think Last.FM is just a tool to have your stats displayed on whatever account you have outside this site.

    Remember to say "thank you" for the things you haven't had
  • asbjornu said:
    hodayathink said:
    When you say talked to facebook developers, do you mean talked to people that you know work at facebook, or posted to the "Facebook Developers" group on facebook? Because those are two entirely different things.


    I wrote "I've alerted the Facebook developers about this ...", I did not write I had talked with them. In other words, I do not know any Facebook developers personally and thus can't give any guarantee to whether my suggestion went to /dev/null or will actually be handled in any way.


    As I said before, this is something that it is much more likely that it will be developed by someone outside of both organizations than by both organizations working together. If you really want to see this badly, you could learn programming and PHP and just write it yourself. Otherwise, just be on the lookout.

    500th Track: It's All About the Benjamins 1000th Track: Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix) (feat. Jay-Z) 2000th Track: My Love 2500th Track: Jesus Walks 5000th Track: Playground 10000th Track: 'round Midnight
    • flaneur said...
    • Alumni
    • 3 May 2007, 22:28
    We have tons of respect for Facebook (many of us are avid users ourselves), and we've started work on some cool ways to get your music taste from Last.fm on there... stay tuned. :)

  • Yay! Flaneur and the whole Last.fm crew: I love you! :-D

    «He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2007, 19:00
    facebook is for losers.

    • ellahh said...
    • User
    • 11 May 2007, 19:28
    I love this new thing. Thank you :-)

    Keep on the good work!

    "Outside the dawn is breaking, but inside Im aching to be free"
  • I am highly in support of Facebook integration. I could give a crap about MySpace, but guess what, the integration is already there with widgets.

    To all the people flaming the idea, go find some other sandbox to crap in. It's nice to display information from Last.fm on one's favorite networking site, and MySpace and Facebook are the big two.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 May 2007, 17:10
    I think this would be a cool thing to have :D There are over 2000 members in the facebook last.fm group...it'd be a nice addition to facebook.

    I'm glad Last.fm is taking this into consideration :)

  • I'm looking forward to this new feature!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.