Forum » Feedback and Ideas

User Tag Cloud

• xslf said...
    • User
    • 8 May 2007, 20:20
    aliekens said:
    I am not influencing the generation of tag clouds and inclusion of genres manually, all of the results are based on the data I request from audioscrobbler's web services. The weight of a tag in the tag cloud is (literally) linearly related to the play count of top artists, and the number of times the tag has been used for the top artists. There is no influence from assigning genres manually in any way.

Got it :-)

I went ahead and created one, but it comes out fairly big:

Is there any to set the threshold of this? I mean, except for manually editing the code...

• marbu said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2007, 17:38
    i've been missing something like this this i joined last.fm!
    And I agree with Dr_Nibbles in everything: please, last.fm staff, implement this! :-)

;-)
  • This is fun..Anthony, the font for smaller/lesser heard tags can be improved.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 May 2007, 15:46
    I definitely think this would be a good idea.

• yea this would be wonderful!
    of course I believe that a person should be able to turn it off too if they feel like it.

this way, when I am trying to look for people that like a particular genre, I can see right away the music they listen to.

• M0LeK said...
    • User
    • 21 May 2007, 21:07
    That's a damn great Job!
    I've been dreaming about this user's tag cloud, really!

• brillo idea, what i was waiting for for a long time.

thomas
    • two-d said...
    • User
    • 22 May 2007, 19:59
    this is an excellent feature which, in my humble opinion, must find its way into last.fm. There is no better way to describe what a user is listening to at a glance.. there should be of course the option to choose between 3-, 6-, 12-, rolling, overall charts being used for the calculation.

great idea!

• [Edit by MightyJay: Spam removed]

"For in our free-in and being our we-in."
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2007, 02:58
    I'm against the idea.

• killsurfcity said:
    I'm against the idea.

are you going to give us a reason for that, or just leave it like that so your sentence effects no-one?

thomas
  • killsurfcity said:
    I'm against the idea.

A personal tag cloud in the profile should be optional, so whoever doesn't wants it, can turn it off. (Note that RJ has announced that a following Last.fm update may contain more stats and optional user profile preferences)

• how often would the coulds be cached? it would take a lot of server power to produce them, since aliekens' script takes up to a minute to do one user...

brill idea though, even if it can only be updated monthly or so...

• It could be included in the widgets too! I'd love to put my tag cloud on my myspace! Infact I have done so with code from anthony's script, but one that updated itself, ie. a widget, would be even better!

• Jonaboff said:
    how often would the coulds be cached? it would take a lot of server power to produce them, since aliekens' script takes up to a minute to do one user...

My code contains intentional delays of 1 second per database request made, because that is the policy of audioscrobbler. Last.fm wouldn't need this delay since they are not restricted on their DB usage. Generating a tag cloud should only take as long as generating the tag cloud for an artist. Since the musical tag clouds don't change too much (the more you scrobble, the harder it is to change your overall tag cloud) a weekly or monthly update and caching would be sufficient.

• Jonaboff said:
    It could be included in the widgets too! I'd love to put my tag cloud on my myspace! Infact I have done so with code from anthony's script, but one that updated itself, ie. a widget, would be even better!

Please do not automate your requests to my server.

• aliekens said:

Please do not automate your requests to my server.

i haven't, nor was i intending to. i didn't mean to imply that i was or that anyone should. i simply took the code that was generated when i used the tool, and dropped it into myspace. this is why i said it would be nice if it was a widget, so that it updated itself.

thanks for making a great script :)

• anjrew said...
    • User
    • 1 Jun 2007, 23:33
    ideally it'd be integrated into last.fm though, generated with weekly charts. surely not that much more effort..

• pk666 said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2007, 13:36
    Tag cloud is cool!

--
    0x029A is the number of the beast
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2007, 20:52
    Does it automatically update say if you changed what you listen to from indie to emo? Or do you have to go back on the thing and get it again?

• -DyingAtheist said:
    Does it automatically update say if you changed what you listen to from indie to emo? Or do you have to go back on the thing and get it again?

It just spits out plain text. So you have to rerun the script if you want to see the changes (that's why there are votes here (including my own ;) that Last.fm should include this as a standard option)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Jun 2007, 17:19
    Oh, right. So if it becomes a standard option then we won't have to do that?

• I love this idea. And the people who wouldn't want it on their page can just disable it.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.