Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Changes to Subscriptions 26 March 2014

• LAST.HQ said...
    • Staff
    • 26 Mar 2014, 14:40

Changes to Subscriptions 26 March 2014

Hi everyone,

Today we have announced significant changes to Last.fm subscriptions. From the 28th of April 2014, our subscription radio streaming service will no longer be available. This means that traditional subscriber radio will no longer work on any platform or device.

Over ten years, our goal has always been to allow people around the world to discover new music with as few limitations or restrictions as possible. However, the music landscape has changed considerably during that time and we've been forced to make some very difficult decisions surrounding our core products and services. In response we've chosen to focus on what we think Last.fm does best: scrobbling, music discovery, and recommendations.

If you have an iOS device you can download the Scrobbler app and build Last.fm powered playlists from the music in your device’s library. Also, if you have speakers or a stereo that supports Bluetooth you can link your iOS device and fill the room with music. You’ll still be able to listen to all of your favourite stations on the new Last.fm Player, as well as listen to your favourite tracks with our recently launched on-demand playback feature via Spotify.

Hardware devices that currently scrobble, such as Sonos and Logitech Squeezebox, will continue to scrobble as long as the manufacturers support it. We continue to work on new ways to bring scrobbling to every corner of the music universe to make Last.fm your music home.

Last.fm subscribers are some of the most dedicated music fans out there and we are deeply grateful for your support over the years. We understand that many of you will not like this decision. If you would like to cancel your Last.fm subscription please follow the steps here or you can request a refund here.

Thank you again for your support.

Sincerely,
    The Last.fm Team

• Very Sad American Living in Media-Deprived Canada

You're complete screwing over Canadian listeners. We don't have access to Spotify or Pandora, etc. Last.Fm was the only decent service available. As an American living in Canada where everything is off limits or more expensive for some inexplicable reason (other than the CTRC), this is an especially low blow.

I'm really sad. I'm going to have to figure out where I'm going to listen to music. I will no longer subscribe after this month, what is the point? I guess I'll try Deezer or get an American IP.

Such a shame.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2014, 15:03

ok

thats lame

• Since you closed the other thread, I'll reiterate.

Does this new system mean my radio streaming on my android will be kaputt?

I spend most of my day driving a truck around and my Last.fm radio is what helps to keep me sane from the monotony of my job.

I've spent over a year developing a library of loved tracks with over 2600 tunes in it. Is that it? Is all that work and energy for nothing? Will my Library radio on my Android be unplayable?

It'd be nice to get some answers to some of these questions.

But, if that's all true, I guess I'll be cancelling my subscription and renewing my subscription with Pandora (heavy sigh).

• Well said hermanmarie333. I too will be cancelling my subscription. The streaming radio was the only reason I subscribed in the first place. Last.fm, I think you may be shooting yourself in the foot here, probably not the smartest move.

• Over ten years, our goal has always been to allow people around the world to discover new music with as few limitations or restrictions as possible. However, the music landscape has changed considerably during that time and we've been forced to make some very difficult decisions surrounding our core products and services.
    So you're essentially admitting defeat? The increasingly aggressive actions of music content owners are making the very idea of "streaming internet radio" commercially untenable?

The dream of uninterrupted, user-curated internet radio is a beautiful one. But if Last.fm can no longer afford to offer it (and I think we can safely assume that this is the subtext here), who the hell can?

The more centralized music ownership gets, the more tyrannical the behaviour of the content owners becomes. Big Content is killing music.

Edited by AlexanderPope on 26 Mar 2014, 15:28
    • cs188 said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2014, 15:13
    This is a disappointing announcement, to say the least. I love the unique offerings that traditional Last.fm radio is able to provide, and I'm sure going to miss it... Especially for Windows Phone, I don't know any other app that does live scrobbling to Last.fm.

However, since scrobbling and stats collection is the primary reason I signed up in the first place, this doesn't kill Last.fm for me. As long as you keep our listening stats safe and continue offering good music recommendations, I'm still on board.

• rwilles said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2014, 15:18

Site not yet updated to policy change?

I just paid (3 minutes ago) for an annual subscription. As I attempt to connect to my 500 loved tracks and 1200 artists you finally send the msg that this "streaming radio" service is no longer available. Unbelievably sad. Tell me again what the point of last.fm will be going forward???

Edited by rwilles on 26 Mar 2014, 15:54
  • 2nd time

This is a really bad joke! Forcing us (the radio lovers) to subscribe and taking away any reason for it!
    And also a big punch in the face of all the artists and labels who uploaded their stuff to last.fm!!!

Enjoy life!
    It´s much too short!

Veroxity
  • Since I am the user who started the prior thread which redirects here, I'm not going to reiterate all the points I've already made there, I will simply summarize by saying that I (and many others) believe you are making a huge mistake in alienating your long time subscribers.

I do not think "scrobbling, music discovery, and recommendations" are what last.fm does best. Most of the recommendations I receive are for other artists I already listen to - perhaps this is different for users with fewer artists in their libraries. I have discovered very few artists on last.fm, again, perhaps that is because I am already familiar with a diverse group of artists. I do enjoy scrobbling; however, what last.fm does best is offer its subscribers (mostly) unlimited streaming of the music library they have curated, and the changes you are introducing will effectively kill this.

I left Pandora many years ago to come to last.fm. I suppose now is as good a time as any to go back.

• What do you do there Last FM? Do you mutate to CBS-Puppets with senceless movements?

With lack of understanding I read what there was coming down from Last FM.
    What do you mean with From 28th April, our subscription radio streaming service will come to an end. This means subscriber radio will no longer work on any platform or device.?
    Will there be furtheron a ad free radio or not? Would I could use my old Last FM Scrobbler without this Youtube shit?
    If not - what for I should remain a subscriber? And what was Last FM good for anyway?
    I can only believe, this is a dream and I will wake up in a few minutes.

No one will pay for tagging, "last visitors function", merchandising or a lolliop for free.

Dear Last FM Team, don't let you f**k by CBS (Whatever their intentions are)! Don't mess up my once loved Last FM! Don't make the announced changes real.

Edited by Andreas_Wotte on 26 Mar 2014, 15:44
  • What exactly can I do with My Library now?

This is an unbelievable announcement. I willingly subscribed years ago when you said a subscription was required to listed to My Library Radio on home and mobile devices. I have since tripled the size of MyLibrary and now will not have any use for it.

If it is not cost effective for you, couldn't you at least offer an option to increase the subscriber cost to allow Library streaming? I (and possibly others) would be willing to pay to keep what we have built, and paid you a lot of money for, over the years.

And no, I will not care about purchasing merchandise with a subscriber discount so I can freely advertise for you. You don't have much left to advertise.

• I'm confused: What, exactly, will stop working and what will remain? You say that radio is cancelled but also say that we can listen to stations (which is radio) and even filter our libraries by tag (again, radio) on the Last.fm player. So... which is it? Will we be able to listen to streaming stations or not?

• noden67 said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2014, 15:42
    I am not really clear on what the actual change in music delivery is. Streaming radio service will be terminated yet I can still listen to radio stations and tags? If streaming is not the delivery method what does this mean - it is now a download service presumably with fees for a download (like iTunes)?

• Does this new system mean my radio streaming on my android will be kaputt? ....Will my Library radio on my Android be unplayable?
    That's correct. From April the 28th, we will not be streaming to any platform or device, which includes the Android app. However, we are exploring ways to work with third-party partners allowing for a mobile listening experience (besides local playback).

Streaming radio service will be terminated yet I can still listen to radio stations and tags? If streaming is not the delivery method what does this mean
    It means that we're no longer streaming from our own servers, and will be primarily relying on content from third party providers such as Spotify and Youtube.

You say that radio is cancelled but also say that we can listen to stations (which is radio) and even filter our libraries by tag (again, radio) on the Last.fm player. So... which is it? Will we be able to listen to streaming stations or not?
    It means we're discontinuing the old last.fm radio, streamed from our servers.

You can still listen to your personal stations (Library, mix, recs, loved tracks, etc) on the Last.fm website via the new player, which is powered by youtube. You can also stream tracks listed on the site via Spotify, where available.

Edited by Lastfmsupport on 26 Mar 2014, 16:11
  • Disappointment

As a long time subscriber (since 2005) I am saddened and disappointed to read the news. Last.fm has offered the best streaming music service for a long time. By using what I listen to most it can match music the most accurately.

I will be unsubscribing but will continue to use the scrobble service.

-wes
  • Guys, what I took away from it is that radio streaming will halt on all external programs / devices. The only way to listen to the streaming radio will be through the player on the website. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

• waynefullerton said...
    If it is not cost effective for you, couldn't you at least offer an option to increase the subscriber cost to allow Library streaming? I (and possibly others) would be willing to pay to keep what we have built, and paid you a lot of money for, over the years.

Total agreement. I've always felt that $3 a month was incredibly reasonable. If you wanted to raise to $5 a month, I would still consider that reasonable. Rising costs of services is a way of life and to be expected so having to pay a few bucks more for a service that still far outweighs it's value is perfectly understandable.

But to cut it off completely? I don't get it.

• hoffnickelfault said:
    Guys, what I took away from it is that radio streaming will halt on all external programs / devices. The only way to listen to the streaming radio will be through the player on the website. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

@hoffnickelfault - if you go to the Subscription page today, you'll see a banner at the top that says:
    "We recently changed our subscriber benefits, and subscriber radio streaming is no longer available."

From what I can tell, by the end of the month, the streaming last.fm radio player will disappear completely from the site itself, meaning users will only have the option of using the last.fm Player (currently being beta tested) which plays YouTube videos (and all sorts of ads!).

For my part, thanks but no thanks, last.fm. I tried the new player and only lasted about two songs; as I said in my other thread, I'm not interested in paying for the privilege of being forced to watch YouTube ads.

• Not that I have anything of importance to add ..I just wanted to say I listen to last.fm radio every single day. To lose it, is like I'm losing a beloved family member. Hell, it's even worse..because I don't even speak to my family as much as I listen to your radio. Pure devastation.

I guess I'll have to go back to downloading music the old-fashioned, 'illegal' way..

Edited by ellissseven on 26 Mar 2014, 15:57
  • hoffnickelfault said:
    Guys, what I took away from it is that radio streaming will halt on all external programs / devices. The only way to listen to the streaming radio will be through the player on the website. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

This was my take too - can someone confirm whether this is right?

• Concur with Churumbela

This is how I understood it as well; if I want to watch YouTube videos, I'll go to YouTube:
    "From what I can tell, by the end of the month, the streaming last.fm radio player will disappear completely from the site itself, meaning users will only have the option of using the last.fm Player (currently being beta tested) which plays YouTube videos (and all sorts of ads!).

For my part, thanks but no thanks, last.fm. I tried the new player and only lasted about two songs; as I said in my other thread, I'm not interested in paying for the privilege of being forced to watch YouTube ads."

• ellissseven said:
    Not that I have anything of importance to add ..I just wanted to say I listen to last.fm radio every single day. To lose it, is like I'm losing a beloved family member. Hell, it's even worse..because I don't even speak to my family as much as I listen to your radio. Pure devastation.

I guess I'll have to go back to downloading music the old-fashioned, 'illegal' way..

I really like my family...but I love my library radio station! I have spent YEARS building my library and love being able to launch my station when I come into work in the morning and listen for hours and hours, knowing that it will play things I love with no ads or interruptions.

I guess all good things must come to an end sometime.

• The world is ending

OMG I am listening to my Mix radio day and night and discovered so much beautiful, beautiful music, where do I go next?

• telecine said...
    • Subscriber
    • 26 Mar 2014, 16:02
    I've been a member since 2003. This is utterly pathetic. They aren't even man enough to CLEARLY say what the fuck is happening. You have to decipher it!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.