Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Public Profile Privacy

• Public Profile Privacy

Hello,

I want to make my profile private. Just for me and my friends. Everyone can see my profile and I hate it!

Why is NOT it possible? I couldn't find any settings about it.

• I've seen other threads about this over the years... on the thought, this is a social networking site, why would you want to have a public profile privacy?...Is there someone who is spying on you?

• it's not about someone is spying on someone. Facebook is also a social platform but it has deep privacy policies.

I just want to get recommendations on what I listen.

• headey said...
    • User
    • 17 Aug 2012, 12:09
    You could maybe start a new account with a fictitious name?

btw, if this is you, your FB settings are currently quite public & you might want to restrict things like date of birth.
    https://www.facebook.com/nesimt

edit
    OK, a fair enough idea.
    I'd forgotten this is the 'suggestions' forum, not a complaint.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    Edited by headey on 26 Aug 2012, 14:46
  • headey said:
    You could maybe start a new account with a fictitious name?

btw, if this is you, your FB settings are currently quite public & you might want to restrict things like date of birth.
    https://www.facebook.com/nesimt
    Man, you have some balls! :D

• Is there someone who is spying on you?
    Exactly! One user have been spying on me for weeks, so had to minimize all activity in my profile, and only when I closed 'recently listened tracks' he finally got lost. I don't like that at all (being that closed), so I would like to have possibility to be protected from this sort of harassment here on las.fm, and have an option to choose who can see my profile. I read last.fm forum from time to time, and this request on privacy feature occurs pretty often. So yeah, I support this request.

this is a social networking site
    Facebook and Myspace are social networks too, but they have this option.

• gloomydoom said:
    Is there someone who is spying on you?
    Exactly! One user have been spying on me for weeks, so had to minimize all activity in my profile, and only when I closed 'recently listened tracks' he finally got lost. I don't like that at all (being that closed), so I would like to have possibility to be protected from this sort of harassment here on las.fm, and have an option to choose who can see my profile. I read last.fm forum from time to time, and this request on privacy feature occurs pretty often. So yeah, I support this request.

this is a social networking site
    Facebook and Myspace are social networks too, but they have this option.

True!!
    Agreed!

Myspace had "can not accept request "option also.
    should mimic other site's only good options.

▲If atmosphere doesn't improve, I will never support here!▲

▲▲If you want to FRIENDS..PLEASE READ FIRST! - MOST IMPORTANT ↓↓↓▲▲

▲I DON'T WANT WIMPISH person who cannot talk with me!!▲
    • corneld said...
    • Subscriber
    • 21 Aug 2012, 13:30

Re: Public Profile Privacy

nesimtunc said:
    Hello,

I want to make my profile private. Just for me and my friends. Everyone can see my profile and I hate it!

Why is NOT it possible? I couldn't find any settings about it.

You're not explicit about WHAT do you want to restrict in your profile !!!

You really mean you want some user to actually SEE anything on your profile page ??
    If so ... how on Earth do you want others to become your friends ???? Even you initiate a friends request, that person COULD NOT see anything on your page, so ... don't you think this is ... hilarious ? You expect anyone to ACCPET such request in such circumstances ?

The actual privacy settings from last.fm are quite good, I don't know what else could be hidden from others besides the shoutbox (which you CAN forbid others to write into, except if they are already friends), PM (the same as for shoutbox), and restricting to see what you are scrobbling (they can only see the TOTAL statistics - -overall and per artist).

All of these you already used as such, so ... what more did you have in mind for hiding from others ???
    If you don't like being "watched" by others here, maybe you don't really need last.fm ...

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
    • corneld said...
    • Subscriber
    • 21 Aug 2012, 13:44
    gloomydoom said:

You have a very strange definition of the notion "harassment" !!
    Just watching your page is NOT at all a harassment !! Reconsider your line of thinking...
    BTW .. you are not a subscriber, so I wonder HOW did you know a CERTAIN user is "harassing" you by the means of watching everything you're scrobbling (you happen to know this user is a HE and not a SHE which is even more stranger...) ??? :P

Sorry, but the very nature of last.fm does NOT match this sort of request, so NO, I DON"T support such a request....
    The only "bad" thing I could do to you is .... "stealing" some of your artist from your library, artists which I don't know about ... I suppose you consider it a bad thing, right ? :P

So ... you don't like the way last.fm is showing your behavior to others, you're not a subscriber and thus you can't benefit from the "radio" facility ... you just scrobble and keep track of your listenings, which, again, you don't want others to see --- so, WHY do you even bother being a member here on last.fm ?????

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
    • LL4KK said...
    • User
    • 23 Aug 2012, 04:08
    ^Take a chill pill. Are you staff here? Let them do the asking & wondering. I don't see anything wrong with revising some of the privacy options on our profiles. Just like on other sites, we all have the right to optimize it to our liking or not at all. Anybody that has a major problem with it must be a stalker themselves.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 26 Aug 2012, 12:58
    you are anonymous on here until you make it otherwise. no need for priv settings, kinda against the ethos of the site too.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
    • Babs_05 said...
    • 26 Aug 2012, 13:51
    ^^ True. No need to use your real name or divulge any personal information at all, unlike other social network sites which pretty much insist on it. On this point, this is a music site with social networking aspects, it's that way round, and the whole idea is that it's open, because the point of it is finding who else is into what you're into, or seeing what they're listening to, etc etc

The site is open, it's not a walled garden, however abuse or harrassment is not tolerated; if anyone is experiencing anything like this, please do email Support - What can I do if I want to report an offensive user or inappropriate material?

I'd agree we could probably do with more privacy options, for instance an in-between 'friends only' setting. It's a popular request, +1 from me.

• I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of users would be against it rather than for it. As has already been stated (and stated every time this is brought up), you are only as identifiable and visible as you choose to be. You can disable recent tracks and the shoutbox if you so desire, but why you would sign up to a site like this and then disable everything is beyond me.

Bottom line is, real name and photos are not mandatory. If you have no identifiable information on your profile to start with, privacy settings will be unnecessary. And if someone checks out your profile because they like what you listen to... why is that an issue?

• What happened?!

:))) what the hell is going on here ... Couldn't read all message bu he is not me ...

my fb is closed for a while and the username is same on everywhere "nesimtunc" ;) add and follow me on twitter and instagram :P

Ok here is the thing. It's very simple. Why some people don't understand I don't know.

It's my private if I want I would share It's my choice to NOT share with someone else. OK?

I use Last.fm for getting music suggesstion NOT show people my intellectual like someone does. OK?

• I don't come here to socialize, I come here to listen to and find music.

Why there can't be a hide profile option or a friends only option,
    I have never understood.

My playlist, tags, library etc....
    Shouldn't HAVE to be public.

• nesimtunc said:
    It's my private if I want I would share It's my choice to NOT share with someone else. OK?

I use Last.fm for getting music suggesstion NOT show people my intellectual like someone does. OK?

As @Babs_05 says, last.fm is "a music site with social networking aspects, it's that way round, and the whole idea is that it's open, because the point of it is finding who else is into what you're into, or seeing what they're listening to, etc etc"

If last.fm is not to someone's taste, then there are plenty of alternatives to listen to and find music, and for music suggestions :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_music_databases

Last.fm is as good as it is exactly because playlist, tags, library etc.... are public. This is how last.fm is and it should stay that way.

• Perhaps make hiding your profile or something similar, a subscriber feature?

• LeJazzy0213 said:
    Perhaps make hiding your profile or something similar, a subscriber feature?
    Good idea or maybe subscribers should be given the option of changing their usernames. In order of keeping their stats and being able to have more privacy. That way, there could be more of an incentive to subscribe.

"If you've got a CD that's not working, just wipe it on your trousers, and if you're not wearing any trousers, put some on."
    ♫ Peelie = the God of music ♫
  • Last.fm can do without weirdos who want to "hide" their profile. Last.fm is about openess in what's being listened to... nothing else about anyone has to be revealed.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.