Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Update on the August 2 Site Update and July beta feedback

• Update on the August 2 Site Update and July beta feedback

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on our new pages. You will have noticed that the beta has closed, and we've released the new pages onto the live site, with a few improvements.

The results of our beta test have been overwhelmingly positive. Around 18,000 people gave us feedback, and a significant majority liked the new designs. The exact results are like this:

64.52% liked Artist pages
    70.48% liked Track pages
    79.25% liked Album pages

Of course we got a lot of comments about things people didn't like, and many of those issues have also been raised on these forums. Many were about bugs or errors on our part, which we've now fixed - thanks for helping us with that.

By far the most frequent comment is that the images, text or whole page is "too big". The most frequent positive comments were also about things being bigger, so it would seem that opinion is divided. Our research (both the beta tests and our face-to-face user testing) tells us that it works better this way, and we feel that it's an improvement, so we're sticking with this design for now - but as we continue to work on the details, we'll do our best to bear in mind that bigness is a problem for some of you.

There have been a lot of comments about about two related issues - excess whitespace, and having to scroll a long way to reach the features at the bottom of the page. In some places whitespace has been increased deliberately to allow the page to "breathe" and to provide clear separation between elements. But it's also true that under some conditions, unacceptably large areas of whitespace can appear. We're looking at solutions to this, and you should find that it improves in further releases.

Regarding scrolling, we recognise that the pages are now longer. For those of you that need it, we've put in a keyboard shortcut - just press S to jump to the Shoutbox (in other languages, it's the first letter of your language's word for Shoutbox).

The order of items on the page is dictated by many considerations, but in this redesign we've been guided by two principles: firstly, putting the most frequently-used elements at the top of the page, and secondly, grouping related elements together. So broadly speaking, the things that most people want to see first (based on our user data) are at the top of the page. Obviously, this "one size fits all" approach doesn't meet everyone's needs, and we're now looking at how we can customise the pages better for people with different needs.

The most important thing to remember is that this is the first release of the new design, and our work does not stop here. While we're confident that it's an improvement on the old design, we fully expect to continue tweaking and improving, and your feedback is a really useful source of guidance and insight for us.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for caring about Last.fm

(This is a copy of a post I made earlier in the 2012 Beta Group)

• It is pretty obvious that you guys are trying to focus on your tablet audience. That's not a bad thing per se, but it is bad to overlook desktop and laptop users. Please make this ugly, huge, blocky version of the website the default for tablets and make the old, perfect, compact, clean and useful design an option for the users.

os alquimistas estão chegando
  • AcidAmmo said:
    It is pretty obvious that you guys are trying to focus on your tablet audience.
    the old, perfect, compact, clean and useful design an option for the users.

We're working towards a responsive design that works well on mobile, tablets and desktop browsers, but we haven't focussed particularly on tablets for this design.

All our data and user research told us that the design needed improvement. Many people on the forums also thought so.

• The one thing that I think is absolutely ruining the new artist page designs is a lack of sidebars. I'm not sure why you guys decided to do away with them, but you can still retain much of the "improvements" (I do not agree with them, but I realize they are here to stay) by putting a few elements on the side. For example, events and listening trends. Just by doing that I think you will seriously improve the way the page looks.

As I mentioned in the other feedback thread, the fact that it is even necessary for you to add a keyboard shortcut to get to the Shoutbox is a sign that something is really wrong.

• Why make a unified design that works so-so for all devices when you can make three designs that are optimal for their specific devices? As for needing change, I can say, having been an active user for nearly four years, who makes a lot of friends and gets IRL friends into last.fm, that I have never seen a single person complaining about the old desing. Quite the contrary, actually, everyone always thinks the website is really easy to use. I don't see how an artist page that is three times as tall as the old page can be functional, useful, and ultimately better than the old one.

os alquimistas estão chegando
    • gymru said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 17:28
    Hi there! Sorry if I am interrupting your interesting discussion. Here are many people who has something to say about your theme:
    http://www.lastfm.ru/forum/21717/_/2067262
    It would be nice if last.fm team will answer them.

• The new design sucks. Simple as that

• Love your nickname OP.

• Now browsing zoomed all the way out and still having to scroll. Cheers.
    It would help if every section had a little 'hide' button, making the oversized charts etc. optional for people who don't care about them (i.e. me).
    I actually don't mind large-looking websites at all, but this design made me double check I hadn't accidentally zoomed in. None of it looks like it's supposed to be that large.

• Make a poll right now.
    It's not beta.
    In order to prevent spamming, make it so that only users registered before today can vote... and who scrobbled anything.
    Then you'll see that in no actual way 60% wil llike the new artist pages.
    6% - maybe. But even then, they'd be either trolling, retarded or just too drunk to click 'No, I fucking dislike it, it's horrendous'.

Who am I kidding, of course you won't make that poll.
    Enjoy your lies / negative feedback, LAST(SITE WHO CARES ABOUT USERS).FM

/\ true /\
  • Oh, it's you, couldtryharder.
    The one who totally didn't give a single damn about feedback in thread about limiting shoutboxes.

"So I guess my/everyone's else points are meaningless - we put some stupid poll and our update is awesome. *insults, swear words, legitimate negative feedbacks* I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME NEW LAST.FM IS"

AT LEAST

MAKE

FONTS

SMALLER

pretty please with cherry on top.

/\ true /\
    • alin1 said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:39
    @MATI9630: someone could see your text from the Moon...

• Dagilb said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:46

No need for flaming / AcidAmmo's right

Looking at the new design i get the impression your team wanted to create something that is clean, clear and simple. You got rid of some frames and tried to put the things in an order which serves the user. Nothing wrong with that.
    And hardly any change will come without negative reactions by some people.

Now, i can relate to absolutely everything AcidAmmo said.
    My first thought was about a tablet or mobile solution which obviously should be implemented via this update ... or something like that.
    This already shows that the navigation via standard pcs feels at least a little awkward.

Everything is just too big. I don't know any other way to put it.
    Lower the fontsize, make certain items smaller, allow an open discussion with real users. Maybe users that actually see that some major changes happened to the artists' pages etc and not those who only use it for personal statistics and events (why do I have to see who visits a The PENS concert in Jo'Burg when I visit their page? That's another question...).

• alin1 said:
    @MATI9630: someone could see your text from the Moon...

Someone could see artist pages from the Moon.

That's my point. It's annoying.

/\ true /\
  • Re: No need for flaming / AcidAmmo's right

Dagilb said:
    Looking at the new design i get the impression your team wanted to create something that is clean, clear and simple. You got rid of some frames and tried to put the things in an order which serves the user. Nothing wrong with that.
    And hardly any change will come without negative reactions by some people.

Now, i can relate to absolutely everything AcidAmmo said.
    My first thought was about a tablet or mobile solution which obviously should be implemented via this update ... or something like that.
    This already shows that the navigation via standard pcs feels at least a little awkward.

Everything is just too big. I don't know any other way to put it.
    Lower the fontsize, make certain items smaller, allow an open discussion with real users. Maybe users that actually see that some major changes happened to the artists' pages etc and not those who only use it for personal statistics and events (why do I have to see who visits a The PENS concert in Jo'Burg when I visit their page? That's another question...).

Hey Dagilb, thanks for commenting, and for being nice, that made me happy.

Our long-term aim is to make the site responsive, so that it works well on all devices regardless of screen size. Today's changes are the first step, but you can't yet see any changes on smaller screens because (for a bunch of reasons) we have kept the page wide for now.

I hear you, about the size. A lot of people are saying the same thing. We're listening but we're not making any knee-jerk changes, because the size is mainly a shock compared to the old site, and our fonts and images aren't that big compared to a lot of other sites on the web.

Take your point about the Events layout too, and the user avatars there. There's a strong case for making that more compact, we're going to have a think about it.

• I'm loggin off now, it's 9pm here in London and I'm hungry. Will check back in tomorrow.

Have a good evening.

• Ugly.

List.fm is not the same thing at all
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 20:15

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by Babs_05 on 11 Aug 2012, 15:43
  • Hey Lunar, I heard Metallica didn't like it. Ulrich in his latest interview was complaining about fonts being too huge. Is he a retard?

/\ true /\
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 21:04

[spam]

[spam]

• What about sir Reed?

/\ true /\
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 21:18

[spam]

[spam]

• this is horrible, the idea is great, but it's just TOO BIG!! I approve everything, but not the profile design.. at least have smaller fonts or something. My eyes hurt, it's this website for old people or something?! Why? i hope you guys are doing something about it, it's kinda confusing to see many stuff so big, there are things that don't interest me to see, it get's boring to visit Artist's pages.

Edited by JunkMark on 2 Aug 2012, 22:55
  • AcidAmmo said:
    It is pretty obvious that you guys are trying to focus on your tablet audience. That's not a bad thing per se, but it is bad to overlook desktop and laptop users. Please make this ugly, huge, blocky version of the website the default for tablets and make the old, perfect, compact, clean and useful design an option for the users.
    Best first response any of us could have asked for. Honestly, it should be an option. I don't get why so many websites automatically force drastic layout changes on their users rather than just give them the option if they like it.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.