Forum » Feedback and Ideas

August 2nd site update - Catalogue Pages

 
    • telex_x said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:01
    The new design is just horrid.
    thanks for ruining my favourite website [4]

  • HERESIARCHY said:
    BUT WE'RE LISTENING TO YOU.

    Of course they are listening us. The problem is, this is forum, text, so nothing can be heard. Unfortunately, they are not reading us!

  • http://i49.tinypic.com/ohlixe.png

    This is just one of MANY of the typical artist pages i have to scroll through.

    Look at the space everywhere, below the bio, next to the top albums, underneath friends who listen to the band also.

    even the space at the bottom right of events and just below similar artists all add up to unnecessary scrolling.

    • Carlx4 said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:06
    I liked the new design. It's still sober and structured as usual, but now it's more visually appealing. I'm all for the different levels of reading/viewing on the relation between the images too.
    On the other hand, the profile pages could have been unified and standardized more with the artist pages. Actually... it's still the same as always, right?

    • no-type said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:08
    Hey guys... Guys... GAIZE!!
    We should start looking at the positive things about the new, super cool change in last.fm's layout!

    Cool things:
    The biography photos are big! Woooah neat! (not really)
    The tags are blue! Everyone loves the colour blue!

    Cons:
    Everything else

  • AcidAmmo said:
    Do you mind explaining it, then, how, during beta, we could freely switch back and forth between versions? It's not maintaining two versions of the website, that just makes it sound like you have to store twice as much data which is simply not true. It's just a graphic HTML option. Bloody people make Greasemonkey scripts that change how millions of website look. It just sounds like an excuse. If Google is able to do it for Gmail (which I believe has ~a lot~ more users than last.fm), why exactly can't this be done for last.fm?

    You're right, it's not maintaining two versions, it's 24 versions, since Last.fm comes in 12 languages.

    Perhaps I wasn't precise enough in my answer. Obviously it is technically feasible to produce multiple versions of a web site. I should have said that we don't have the resources to maintain twice as many versions. When I say maintain, I mean design, build, support, and test twice as many versions of the presentation code.

    When I say resources, I'm referring to the fact that Google (who you cite as an example), have approximately 1000 times as many people working for them, not to mention immeasurably larger budgets and higher revenue.

  • i've checked on my tablet and even there this new look is annoying

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:10

    Please Fix The Important Issues

    I am not impressed with this change at all. Please focus your energies on dealing with music issues and bad/live/re-recorded poor versions....NOT THIS. Again, please listen to the people on this issue. This WAS NOT a problem to begin with! I like Last.fm very much, but spend time on the major problems. This (in my opinion) is a waste of energy. Best wishes for an improved product. PLEASE....we want Last.fm to become better. Best wishes.

  • Carlx4 said:
    On the other hand, the profile pages could have been unified and standardized more with the artist pages. Actually... it's still the same as always, right?


    Thanks Carlx4. You're right, we haven't touched the profile pages, aside from the change to the secondary navigation (the tabs that used to be down the left hand side).

    We will be gradually rolling out the new design across other parts of the site, but we won't change user profiles without another beta test to gather feedback.

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:17
    Obscuring shoutboxes further I see. There is nothing about this update I feel positive about. I know you won't listen to anyone, though. Because there are thousands of last.fm users that commit nothing beyond their listening data who are more important than anyone who actually contributes to the 'community'. I've already seen this with the changes made to shoutboxes recently, where nothing but lip service was paid to the (valid, in my opinion) complaints made.

    tl;dr: this update is rubbish but we're stuck with it

  • Re: Please Fix The Important Issues

    johnnygoyen said:
    Please focus your energies on dealing with music issues and bad/live/re-recorded poor versions....NOT THIS.
    ... Best wishes.


    Thanks johnnygoyen. Quite a few people have made comments like this, and I wanted to clear up a misunderstanding.

    There are different teams here at Last.fm and not everyone has been working on the redesign. We know that disambiguation and corrections are very important and there is a large project underway to address this, which wasn't slowed down by the redesign.

    • no-type said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:19
    Couldtryharder said:
    We will be gradually rolling out the new design across other parts of the site, but we won't change user profiles without another beta test to gather feedback.


    Gathering feedback seems kind of pointless when the common complaints and suggestions from the previous beta testing were pretty much disregarded...

    Edited by no-type on 2 Aug 2012, 18:20
    • Alainn said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:19
    I think the Top Listener and Listening Now-sections have a bug: it doesn't show that black dot for subscribers?

    Update: checked it in IE and it looks like it slid down.


    New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
    Edited by Alainn on 2 Aug 2012, 18:30
  • All time scrobble count for each band needs to be back at the top of the page, not near the bottom!!!

    • alin1 said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:21
    Couldtryharder said:
    Carlx4 said:
    On the other hand, the profile pages could have been unified and standardized more with the artist pages. Actually... it's still the same as always, right?


    Thanks Carlx4. You're right, we haven't touched the profile pages, aside from the change to the secondary navigation (the tabs that used to be down the left hand side).

    We will be gradually rolling out the new design across other parts of the site, but we won't change user profiles without another beta test to gather feedback.

    So, you (last.fm) plan to ruin also the profile pages?

    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:21
    Hi, sorry to say but it's HORRIBLE!
    Please, return to the old layout... or give option for those who want to return, really, is all very confusing and uncomfortable. x(

    • Imothep said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:22
    Yeah, you can just skip the gathering of feedback seeing how you disregard it completely.

    Signed, the Don Quixotes of last.fm

  • Ugly Beta is completely ruining my last.fm experience.

  • alin1 said:

    So, you (last.fm) plan to ruin also the profile pages?
    '

    Of course they won't ruin it, 64% will like it.

    /\ true /\
  • Re:Re:Re: Re: Re: The numbers: Huh?

    chatterer said:
    a single button has the same value as one or more detailed feedbacks? I think every reported error and every improvement counts as a negative.

    The numbers that I quoted in my post were numbers of positive votes only. I didn't include anything else.

    I'm afraid I haven't done a numerical analysis on the content of the detailed feedback, but we have read it and identified the issues that people are concerned about. As I said in my post earlier, we'll be addressing more of these in future releases.

  • My grandma might like the site now considering she won't need to wear her glasses to see anything.

  • Since you can only read new fonts (as seen in new artist pages)...

    Make
    a
    new
    poll
    regarding
    the
    changes

    /\ true /\
  • Alainn said:
    I think the Top Listener and Listening Now-sections have a bug: it doesn't show that black dot for subscribers?


    Yeah I see it on some, but it's askew and now even on the top or bottom it's just hanging there?

    Staff I would make an image for you but I'm not feeling like it but here's an artist example: Frank Ocean

  • Hairymuffin2011 said:
    All time scrobble count for each band needs to be back at the top of the page, not near the bottom!!!


    Yes, that's on our list of things to address in future releases, thanks.

    • no-type said...
    • User
    • 2 Aug 2012, 18:27
    helloimjoshua said:
    My grandma might like the site now considering she won't need to wear her glasses to see anything.

    You can always just increase the page size with Ctrl +/- (assuming you use Firefox; not so sure with Chrome, Opera, etc.)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.