Forum » Feedback and Ideas

Subscriptions Now There's A Spotify App

• Subscriptions Now There's A Spotify App

I'm a last.fm subscriber and it's occurred to me this morning I may be getting a rough deal here now this new app has arrived. I could subscribe to Spotify for a fiver a month to remove all the adverts and presumably use the last.fm app for free? So for a measly extra £2 I get all the benefits of ad free music and last.fm services plus I can play the entire Spotify catalogue ad free at my leisure?

Admittedly, I can play last.fm on my phone as a subscriber and I'm aware it would cost me £10 a month to do this with Spotify.

But I still feel it seems a little unfair to loyal last.fm subscribers and feel we should get something. Other services have slowly been slipping away (playing loved tracks for example) as it is and aside from Ad removal (which are only images anyway) and the smart phone app, I'm not really sure what the last.fm subscription is for anymore.

Over Indulged in Vanity's Vacuous Vice
    Edited by buffyrat on 1 Dec 2011, 13:26
  • Moved topic? Really? Surely this is extremely relevant to the Spotify app?

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 1 Dec 2011, 13:18
    an actual decent music catalogue for a start

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • The catalogue of either service is the same whether you subscribe or not.

• dankine said...
    • User
    • 1 Dec 2011, 13:57
    buffyrat said:
    The catalogue of either service is the same whether you subscribe or not.

right, which isn't what I said.

was pointing out that, imo, spotify's catalogue is shit. which I would see as reason enough not to sub there.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
    "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Auto Corrections Group
  • So the Lastfm app is limited to only stream/recommend tracks in the lesser Spotify catalogue?

• As far as I know, the recommendations you get from Last.fm cover Spotify's entire catalogue.

I believe there's an issue where it sometimes recommends songs that are not available to stream in your country, which we will address; but otherwise it doesn't limit the recommendations.

>>>I'm not really sure what the last.fm subscription is for anymore.

http://www.last.fm/subscribe

Should you continue subscribing? I'm not sure I can really answer that for you. In my opinion, both subscriptions offer good value (at £36 and £60 a year respectively), so you really have to compare the relative merits of each and come to your own decision.

As far as the app is concerned, I wouldn't say that you get all the benefits from Last.fm via the app (in particular: no personalised radios, no friends/neighbours/group radio, tag stations, etc), but they complement each other extremely well. And you shouldn't discount the possibility that we'll further develop the app, as well as our own subscription package.

• Thanks for the reply.

>>> the recommendations you get from Last.fm cover Spotify's entire catalogue.
    The Last.fm catalogue is surely larger than Spotifys as my learned friend suggested. So you'll get a wider range of tracks using Last.fm itself as you're not limited to Spotify's catalogue. If that's correct Last.fm wins my subscription hands down.

I think Spotify's interface is pretty darn good, but it's catalogue is poor compared to "about to be extinct" Napster at twice the price. Marketing and usability beat substance there IMHO.

>>>I wouldn't say that you get all the benefits from Last.fm via the app
    Ah this makes me feel a whole lot better. The features you've listed are in that case worth every penny.

I probably posted my original questions a little ahead of the gun... it's just all too often these days that current customers always come second. But I feel reassured that the Last.fm subscription is still worthy and that the app, it seems, should be viewed as an enhancement of Spotify and by no means a replacement "real" Last.fm.

Back to being a happy camper :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.