Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 4 Feb 2012, 22:51
    Something appears wrong - I can ping the site, but can't get the webpage to load.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • [spam]

Edited by Maddieman on 9 Feb 2012, 10:52
    • ras222 said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2012, 14:36
    The webpage is still not loading.

• headey said...
    • User
    • 5 Feb 2012, 17:02
    Yes.
    Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to beta.combofm.de
    Try reloading: beta.­combofm.­de

for the time being resorting to things like
    www.last.fm/listen/user/ -username- /personal/tag/ -tag-
    or (scrobbler)
    lastfm://user/ -username- /personal/tag/ -tag-

& see http://www.last.fm/forum/21717/_/674893/_/14620483

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 6 Feb 2012, 16:42
    Combo.fm should be up and running :) But sometimes it takes a little while, I'll try to see what's up with that

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
  • I can not browse the website.

Say goodbye to [Pending moderation] with[Pending moderation]
    No Drug, No Pain, No Surgery.
    • headey said...
    • User
    • 17 Feb 2012, 11:15
    chronicrhinitis said:17 Feb 2012, 05:34
    I can not browse the website.
    UK 17 Feb 2012, 11:12 OK for me on chrome though it did hang for maybe 15 seconds saying(over on the left) I think "loading artists";"loading users";"loading tags";etc

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 18 Feb 2012, 16:46
    Sometimes the last.fm API servers need too much time to respond....

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 28 Feb 2012, 22:43
    For some time, it has become a bit silent around the Combo.fm project. Not only because I'm not so satisfied with PHP, but also I have been quite busy with learning for my university exams.
    In the meantime, I have tried some frameworks other than PHP, including Django, Play! 2.0, but both have their drawbacks. With Django I like the ORM and the automatic admin interface, but would have to learn Python and the deployment looks awful. Plus it does not support Comet, which can be a hindrance after some time.

Regarding Play, it's easy and "do what you really want to", but you will need a VHost (or sth. like heroku) for that.

For today I just want to announce that I have published the source code of Combo.fm under a GPL v3 license and the graphics under CC by-sa 3.0 :)

Because of the recent events where some company put a trademark on the name of a popular OSS project, I put some special restrictions to (hopefully) prevent that.

You can find the source code at https://github.com/tburny/combofm

• I just found this tool and I think I'm in love!!! How could I have missed this?

Thank you!

• What is the hierarchy of operators in combofm? AND, OR, NOT and then the options. I'm trying to learn how to craft the combination that I desire from the primitives, but without '(' ')' it is very difficult to know how the query will be interpreted.

A clear order of operators would be incredibly useful (or a way to modify the autogenerated query string to include precedence).

• Okay... after a night of playing... this is what I think I find:

1) The "NOT" operator is actually a "NAND" operator (NOT AND) unless it is the first operator in which case it is actually a "NOT".

2) "AND" & "NAND" are evaluated first, then "OR" is evaluated. Additionally, equal levels of operation appear to be evaluated left to right (top to bottom).

3) Options operate on the entire query and are not limited to a logical clause.

Am I correct?

Also... do you have any plans for the following:

1) A way to construct / modify queries manually?

2) The addition of Group Radio as a source (like Tag or User)?

3) A way to save queries? (maybe as simple as we use the Debug to dump the query, and then a way to manually enter it back in... a la #1 above)

I love this tool and really want to exploit its capabilities to the max. Your comments are appreciated and eagerly awaited!

• headey said...
    • User
    • 7 Mar 2012, 17:57
    aybesea69 said:
    1) The "NOT" operator is actually a "NAND" operator (NOT AND) unless it is the first operator in which case it is actually a "NOT".
    Thanks for explaining this... but I can't get my head round it.
    Maybe, if you have 10 minutes sometime, you could give a couple of examples?
    btw, did you see
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21716/_/616299/_/17627609

3) A way to save queries? see www.last.fm/forum/21716/_/616299/_/17343527 & the comment above it suggesting urls.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • headey... thank you immensely for pointing these out! They will make it infinitely easier to experiment with these settings. Everything I had worked out was just from playing with the web site.

As far as my NAND comment, it means the following...

Pretend that you had source1 AND conditionA...

Nand would change this to...

source1 AND NOT conditionA

the important distinction here is that NOT could also be interpreted as...

source1 OR NOT conditionA (a NOR)

I do not believe that to be the case. I think it is a NAND.

• I find out this only in 2012, will try it now)

• headey said...
    • User
    • 8 Mar 2012, 22:16

rql not finding tags

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 18 Mar 2012, 13:06
    aybesea69 said:
    Okay... after a night of playing... this is what I think I find:

Thanks for clarifying this. How do you come to the conclusion it isn't always NAND?
    For two stations A, B, A "not" B would always be everything which is in A and not in B.
    Speaking of sets, let A and B the content set of two stations A and B.
    A "not" B would be A \ B = A cut with (complement of B). As far as I understand.

2) "AND" & "NAND" are evaluated first, then "OR" is evaluated. Additionally, equal levels of operation appear to be evaluated left to right (top to bottom).

3) Options operate on the entire query and are not limited to a logical clause.

Seems correct :)

1) A way to construct / modify queries manually?

Of course.

I'd really love to do that, but I would need the ID of the group for that (names do not work :( ) and I cannot get it via the last.fm API

3) A way to save queries? (maybe as simple as we use the Debug to dump the query, and then a way to manually enter it back in... a la #1 above)

For now, you can use bookmarks on the "play" urls. I planned this feature for a while now, but university kept me quite busy.
    It would depend on a real authentication mechanism via last.fm API and some database stuff. I already did some preparations in the source code, but PHP is a pain in the a**. Plus, with PHP it is really hard to write beautiful source code :P

If you like to help or have any ideas, you can create a ticket at https://github.com/tburny/combofm/issues or make a pull request ;)(

@headey: Sorry I can't help :(

Side note: Combo.fm has been fully migrated to GitHub now.

• tburny said:

I'd really love to do that, but I would need the ID of the group for that (names do not work :( ) and I cannot get it via the last.fm API

Are you sure? Cause this works for me if I manually encode it:

group:"Trippy Jam" not library:aybesea69 opt:repetition|0 opt:mainstr|0.1

I've been building lots of these!

• FWIW - I've also found that not all elements work properly as the first element (what I call the source). For example, a band or a user's library are fine... but a tag is not. If I create a simple query with just a tag like:

tag:jam

it works fine. But if I modify it, like:

tag:jam not library:aybesea69

it no longer works. However, doing the same thing with library:xxxrobixxx or simart:phish as the source works fine.

Any ideas?

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 18 Mar 2012, 18:24
    Hmm weird, for me tag:jam not library:aybesea69 works

• headey said...
    • User
    • 21 Mar 2012, 12:42
    aybesea69 said:
    tag:jam not library:aybesea69
    it no longer works.
    I got a fail with that; then created it again with a clean page & it streamed ok.
    code for successful play was
    lastfm://rql/dGFnOiJqYW0iIG5vdCBsaWJyYXJ5OmF5YmVzZWE2OQ==
    http://last.fm/listen/rql/dGFnOiJqYW0iIG5vdCBsaWJyYXJ5OmF5YmVzZWE2OQ==

(( !! but be careful what you're listening to abeyesea69... I nearly got myself sacked when this came on as the second track Parfume Garden !! )) ;)

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
    • headey said...
    • User
    • 21 Mar 2012, 12:54

(brackets)

Am I right to think at the moment I can't combine tags from within my library?
    for example to hear
    anything in my library tagged 'irish' mixed with
    anything in my library tagged 'mechanical music'

Ludwig Wittgenstein

headey cocktail
  • Thank you for that headey... at the moment it seems to work. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I've really played the Jam tag to death and it's having problems satisfying both conditions (tag:jam not library:aybesea69)?

• Does not work in reasonable browser

Hi,

Combo.fm does not work properly in lynx 2.8.8. Login works, but the URL generator does not.

There should be a non-JavaScript fallback mode allowing for the generation of a station URL which can then be used with shell-fm.

Cheers,
    Nik

First grade music junkie
    • tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 14 Apr 2012, 07:58
    Happy birthday, Combo.fm!
    On 8th April 2010, nearly two years ago, the Java client was born. Nearly one year later, Combo.fm has become what it is now.
    Thank you all for your continued support! :)

As a birthday present...something is cooking in a secret lab ...

@Natureshadow: We'll do a console RQL app together :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.