Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 8 Apr 2010, 20:03

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

Hi @all :)
    I created a nice web application I call Combo.fm, with which you can listen to any amount and any combination of Last.fm radio stations ("combo stations") with your favourite Last.fm player.

You will be astonished of the many kinds of new music you will discover!

Url: http:// www.combofm. de

Or try the beta version, with new features:
    Url: http:// beta.combofm. de

Features:
    • Listen to similar artists, tags, your library, mix radio, recommendations, neighbours and the friends radio
    • Combine stations as you like by connecting them with and, or and not
    • Set song repetition rate on a per-hour basis
    • Mainstream-ness: Set how much mainstream your music should be
    • Share your created radio stations via Twitter (new!) You cannot even do this on the last.fm homepage ;)
    • Drag items to exchange them

Support me :)
    Developing for Combo.fm takes huge part of my leisure time and hosting the website costs money, too.
    So if you really like Combo.fm just say "Thank you very much" or support the project by using the flattr button below :)

Special thanks to:
    • Tecfan, skiye, bengt_bangt, rwitte,Maddieman and all the other staff members for helping me testing
    • Felix Brun's Javascript API and the jQuery Team, both for their great work!
    • You for using Combo.fm :)

Source code and bug tracker: https://github.com/tburny/combofm
    Your help is needed!: If you want to contribute, do it :) It's really easy with github :)

Combo.fm group | Facebook | @combofm |+Combofm (Google Plus)

Combo stations is a feature which is currently still under development and might not always work as expected

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    Edited by tburny on 8 Dec 2013, 01:55
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Apr 2010, 09:57
    You've done it again! There are no words, other than... brilliant!

The stations seem to be doing exactly what they should - although I guess we have the Last.fm guys to thank for that ;)

A few little UI issues I noticed, just doing my job! :)

- the Copy buttons don't work for me, even if I highlight the URL first. This is on Windows 7, not sure if it's a general Windows issue. Highlighting the URL and pressing ctrl-c does copy to clipboard. Phew, thought I was going to be typing that thing by hand!

- When you remove a combo item, the generated query / URL doesn't update. You have to do something else to make it refresh, e.g. tweak one of the sliders. Can you fire an update when an item is removed too?

- Playlists seem to have some issues. When I add one of my playlists to the combo, it displays in the UI as 'null playlist' (although the playlist ID in the generated query is correct). However, any attempt to create any station including a playlist results in a "This item is not available for streaming" error from the radio client. EG StudleyUK loved tracks + my 'best of 2009' playlist (there's about 60 loved tracks in that playlist) or my 'best of 2009' playlist + global 'pop' tag (again, should be plenty of content). Maybe playlists aren't properly supported yet?

- Lots of other similar issues (again, Last.fm ones, not yours) on stations which should have a lot of content. EG "my 'piano' tag or my 'ballad' tag" should produce a station with 150+ tracks, but gets "no content" error. Again, this no doubt reflects the alpha state of the feature, and in no way reflects on your awesome app!

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 9 Apr 2010, 10:38
    Yep, GREAT app for testing the new radios!!!

For me, the first Copy button works as it should, but the second Copy button does not copy the url to the clipboard (Win XP).

Another issue (which seems to be a Last.fm issue): When enabling the Discovery mode in combination with my library i would expect that the radio only plays tracks from my library with 0 plays. But it also plays tracks with more than 0 plays. Don't know if this intentional...

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 9 Apr 2010, 11:02
    Hey thanks for your great feedback, I'll take care of the issues after sunday :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    • akrde said...
    • User
    • 9 Apr 2010, 11:56
    Another issue/question:

When choosing

Recommendations of
    Neighbour radio of
    Station of
    Library of
    Loved tracks of

it would be cool when i could select me or one of my friends in the drop down list.

Who are the users that are listed there at the moment?

And what's the difference between Station of and Library of?

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 9 Apr 2010, 13:21
    Tested the Repetition slider now with this radio: simart:"Gil Scott-Heron" opt:rep|1.0

But after 1 hour of play now not any Gil Scott-Heron track was played.

Does the slider work for you regarding similar artist radios?

• Tecfan said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 9 Apr 2010, 14:04
    Tracking and loving ;)

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • @akrde: even if repetition is high, we still need to follow the guidelines the labels impose us! :p
    Actually I think the naming in the current version is simply misleading. What this slider does is to set the repetition rate of tracks (and partially artist). This roughly is meant to let the user choose how much time should pass after you listen the same track again and it's very useful when you want to get back to stuff you haven't been listening in a long time (all the way to "less").

To everybody: I just fixed a dumb bug (more of a config fail) that was preventing to listen to loved and recs combined with others. Now it works again! Thank you StudleyUK for pointing it out! :-)

Just one thing: this is a alpha code. Please don't abuse it!

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • Skiye said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 9 Apr 2010, 15:37
    excellent post. cant wait to give this a run....can test on my linux machine if you would like also.

will give it a try this weekend when i have a few minutes to spare....but awesome idea and even more awesome for actually bringing it to life.

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 9 Apr 2010, 16:27
    I only tested it on Kubunut 9.10 ;) but obviously it works on windows, too :) Oh wonder oh wonder, its Java :P (And saying java is working on all platforms is like saying anal sex works for all genders ^^ )

• nova77LF said:
    @akrde: even if repetition is high, we still need to follow the guidelines the labels impose us! :p
    Actually I think the naming in the current version is simply misleading. What this slider does is to set the repetition rate of tracks (and partially artist). This roughly is meant to let the user choose how much time should pass after you listen the same track again and it's very useful when you want to get back to stuff you haven't been listening in a long time (all the way to "less").

To everybody: I just fixed a dumb bug (more of a config fail) that was preventing to listen to loved and recs combined with others. Now it works again! Thank you StudleyUK for pointing it out! :-)

Just one thing: this is a alpha code. Please don't abuse it!
    Couple of questions for you. First, is state taken into account across sessions? Also, what defines "popularity"?

Can't wait to give it a go... thanks to you guys for pegging this as a priority and doing the work!

• Skiye said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 9 Apr 2010, 19:05
    tburny said:
    I only tested it on Kubunut 9.10 ;) but obviously it works on windows, too :) Oh wonder oh wonder, its Java :P (And saying java is working on all platforms is like saying anal sex works for all genders ^^ )

i run xubuntu 9.10 (karmic x64) as well as the new 10.4 Lynx beta and a few subsequent linuxes....SliTaz, BackTrack(3) etc....when i get a chance i'll try them out and let you know how they work. =)

LOL @ crossplatform comment

• Babs_05 said...
    • 10 Apr 2010, 19:12
    tracking...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2010, 22:41
    This has already revolutionised radio listening for me :)

In particular, any combination of "my library AND <any global tag>". It's like personal tag radio, but without having to go through the trouble of setting up your personal tags first :) A bit like what Boffin does; gives you the ability to hear your existing library in new and exciting ways.

Of course, that's only one possible use... but it's the one I'm loving the most right now.

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 11 Apr 2010, 15:10
    akrde sagte:
    Another issue/question:

When choosing

Recommendations of
    Neighbour radio of
    Station of
    Library of
    Loved tracks of

it would be cool when i could select me or one of my friends in the drop down list.

Who are the users that are listed there at the moment?

And what's the difference between Station of and Library of?

Currently the users shown are your neighbours, but I too had the idea to show the friends instead.
    "Radio of" plays a user's radio station, "Library of" onlis his/her library :)

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 11 Apr 2010, 16:00
    Great work!...tracked

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 11 Apr 2010, 19:52
    tburny said:
    "Radio of" plays a user's radio station, "Library of" onlis his/her library :)

So "Station of" does mean a personal tag station of a specific user, right?

By the way:

How many elements can be combined at the most?

And is this possible too: (radio A AND radio B) OR (radio A AND radio C) OR ....?

• @JustSomeOldJoe I am not sure to understand what you mean by "state". The obscurity slider can be turned on/off on whatever station you like.
    Popularity is defined by the number of last.fm listeners.

@akrde Yes, parenthesis are allowed, but it increase the complexity of the operation so you might end up hitting the timeout and not getting anything as a result.

By the way, I should mention that all those features are still in the design phase. I cannot guarantee that they are all going to be in the final product. (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).

If you were taught that elves caused rain, every time it rained, you'd see the proof of elves.
    • maz35 said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2010, 10:52
    nova77LF said:
    (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).

They'll be nice features while they last then :P

• will group radios be allowed as values for the variables in these equations?

• @HodgeStar: yep, using
    group:"name of group"

• ...a shorthand for the union of all members' library radios, so to say - that's cool!

• akrde said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2010, 12:07
    nova77LF said:
    (You might not believe it, but we also have to discuss them with the labels :p).

Ah yes, we all forgot the greedy labels, damn! :(

Some times i wonder why Last.fm has to pay the labels (and therefore has to play by their rules) instead of the labels paying for Last.fm's great service which give them a great tool to let music lovers discover their music catalogues (and therefore raise their revenues).....!?

• tburny said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 12 Apr 2010, 12:16
    does anyone know whats the difference between simart:"Meat Loaf" and simart:"Simon And Garfunkel"
    and simart:"Meat Loaf" or simart:"Simon And Garfunkel"?
    Means "and" that only artists would be played who are similiar artists of both Meat Loaf and Simon And Garfunkel? :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2010, 12:23
    tburny said:
    Means "and" that only artists would be played who are similiar artists of both Meat Loaf and Simon And Garfunkel? :)
    Yes, as far as I can tell, although seeing as this is Norman's baby, I think you'd better ask him :)

Are you seeing different/unexpected behaviour here?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.