Forum » Development Discussion

Napster Scrobbler

• Napster Scrobbler

i made a little tool for scrobbling the napster stream.
    http://students.informatik.uni-luebeck.de/~schneidt/NapsterScrobbler.zip
    http://napscrob.sourceforge.net

I wrote it in C# so you need the .NET 2.0 Framework. I was only able to test it with the 3.1.8.4(DE) german version of Napster. I would like to get some feedback from other localized versions of the client.

Be aware that it is a very early version. So please pay attention to the readme before using it. Write a private message or a mail (napsterscrobbler[at]googlemail[dot]com) if you have any questions.

Edit:
    moved project to sourceforge
    New version 0.92 (link see above)
    New test version 0.93 (link see above)

changelog:

- stopping of napster is no longer required for initialisation
    - fixed a bug, where playlist name was interpreted as artist sometimes

- save and load cached songs
    - start minimized option

- cached songs are stored after each change in cached song list
    - restructured internal classes
    - some comments added
    - autostart is set for each user individually

0.92 (more stable)
    - added msn messenger / windows live messenger "Now playing" notifications

0.93 (testing)
    -added editor for last.fm tags

Edited by Tomsky007 on 16 Dec 2007, 14:49
  • your scrobbler rocks, tomsky! works fine with vista 64-bit. you definitely closed the gap between napster and last.fm.

• jarvo86 said...
    • User
    • 5 Aug 2007, 21:48
    Well I'd kind of given up hope with a Napster scrobbler but this works pretty well. Fine on Napster version 3.1.8.4 in the UK, and on Vista x64 too. Good job!

• Super!! Auf sowas hab ich lange gewartet, bin aber selber zu blöd dafür ;-)
    Funktioniert problemlos.
    Danke!

• Schachi said...
    • User
    • 17 Aug 2007, 08:34
    Eine klasse Idee, einen scrobbler auch für napster zu programmieren!! Klappt alles priman !Danke!!

• Thanks!

Using the tool here with no problems.

On a seperate note! Does anyone know if there is a tool that will allow the now playing information to be sent to Windows Live Messenger so that it will appear?

• I can't believe its taken this long for someone to make one of these. Good work, it works like a charm.

• Yes!

Way to go! Thanks for taking the time to work on this. ;)

• Sources preview

I decided to go open source. So if anyone is interested in the code, go to:
    http://students.informatik.uni-luebeck.de/~schneidt/NapsterScrobbler-src.zip

Have fun

• New project host

The project is now hosted at sourceforge.net. So please use the new project homepage

http://napscrob.sourceforge.net (still much to do there)

or the project page

http://sourceforge.net/projects/napscrob/

for the download of new versions and all features like Bugtracker, Forum etc.

• lyn462 said...
    • User
    • 2 Oct 2007, 18:16
    not sure what i'm doing wrong :( i can't get it to load. giving me the frame network error

• Napster 4.0

Hi,

today i was able to test the new US-only Napster 4.0 standalone version (not the web-based client) (thanks to hollid from the german Napster forum). As far as i can see, the Napsterscrobbler still works. Neat :)

• KatronM said...
    • User
    • 29 Nov 2007, 00:58
    It's not working for me. It recognises the tracks, but doesn't transfer this into last.fm itself. Any ideas?

• tag editing

Hi,

i added last.fm tagging support this weekend. Since the tag submission is not really officially supported i would appreciate it when some of you would like to test the new features in 0.93. You can download the test version at the sourceforge page. And - as always - please report any flaws or strange behavior or tell me your suggestions.

Have fun (+ merry xmas)

• cspeye said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2008, 03:20
    THANKS!!! Finally someone's done it.

Kinda off topic, but would anyone be interested in something that can update your AIM profiles with last.fm info? This app kind of reminded me of that .net project, which I started way back when last.fm was still audioscrobbler. I started and stopped work on it a couple of times. I just dug it out of my archives, and lo and behold, it works (almost) perfectly! Most people don't use AIM outside of the US, so I get this feeling there's not much demand for it anyway.

Again, thanks for your work! I used to use the Napster WMP plugin because it wouldn't scrobble--but they stopped development, and it was crashy anyway. I ended up downloading music in napster and playing it in wmp just to get it scrobbled =O, but now I have a solution!

• Wish I found this sooner

Works great over here (XP with Napster 4.0.4.7). Great work and thanks man!

[edit]
    Ok, spoke too soon I guess. The currently playing song shows up on last.fm just fine under "Recently Listened Tracks" as "now listening" but once the song is finished it doesn't seem to get scrobbled - it just disappears. Hmmm...

• Re: Wish I found this sooner

Hi,

I noticed the same yesterday or the day before. But today everthing seems to work again. Maybe some server problems?! If you still experience problems please send me your logfile. I guess we can solve the issues somehow.

• Re: Wish I found this sooner

Yeah same here - a server problem sounds reasonable. Thanks for looking into it though. Now, back to scrobbling my music through Napster!

• thx

Thx for this great Tool, seems to work fine :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Feb 2008, 22:34
    really great work!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Mar 2008, 01:07
    truly excellent work, this has my full support

• Does this work for the web player too, or just the stand alone client?

• Works only for the stand-alone client. Napster didn't release the web-player in europe yet, so even if I had the time, there is nothing I can do right now. However, I think it is a whole different technology, so most probably I have to do a whole new tool from the scratch :/

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jul 2008, 19:38

I love you

I've only just discovered this. I do actually love you.

• very@

Nice very Nice

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.