Forum » Web Site Support

How do I add tracks to my personal radio?

• Re:

Quoth rwhitworth:
    What tag gets applied to my audioscrobbler submissions? I used to understand that they got added to my profile and hence to my personal radio, but now I don't know what happens to them.

No tag gets applied and they do add to your profile thereby becoming part of your personal radio. The tagging to add to personal radio issue has only come up since the [+] button was removed from artist/album/track pages. You don't have to tag stuff to add it to your personal radio, you just have to play it.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2006, 21:11

Re: Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    You don't have to tag stuff to add it to your personal radio, you just have to play it.

Provided that you have it already of course. If you don't have it you're stuck with having to dream up useless tags for music you have yet to hear and are therefore at a loss to describe.

In general I don't feel that tags work with music. At least not for me. I look forward to seeing the last.fm people put back the "Add to profile" button because the way it works now is PLAIN stupid!

• Re: Re: Re:

Quoth knilaus:
    Quoth spacefish:
    You don't have to tag stuff to add it to your personal radio, you just have to play it.

Provided that you have it already of course.

Um, no. I meant you have to play it on the radio, and of course, you have to have record to profile enabled. This is why I said listen to the other general stations around the site. It's the simplest way to add streamable items to your profile. (edit: Okay that last bit was better stated for a different discussion (confused the threads) but it's useful here too.)

If you don't have it you're stuck with having to dream up useless tags for music you have yet to hear and are therefore at a loss to describe.

How about just "try this" or "new" or "listen"? They're your tags after all, you can name them whatever you want. You can even untag them after you're done listening to them.

In general I don't feel that tags work with music. At least not for me. I look forward to seeing the last.fm people put back the "Add to profile" button because the way it works now is PLAIN stupid!

The upside to tags is that if I decide I don't want that artist in my personal radio anymore, I just remove them from that tagset. The old method provided no way to go back and remove them, nor any way to keep track of which artists/albums/tracks I'd already added.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2006, 23:09

Re:Re: Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    Quoth GURT:
    Quoth mischa:
    your profile is defined by tracks you've listened to. tracks get added to your profile either by scrobbling or by listening to the last.fm radio. if you want to "add" tracks you should "tag" them. even if you don't like the whole tagging idea it still gives you the same functionality as "add to profile" as long as you use only one tag.

so now i have to untag songs that i dislike and don't want to appear on my radio?
    dumb.

Wouldn't the radio's Ban option be better for that purpose? My experience is that tagged items have more of a chance of playing on personal radio than not playing. Seems like actually tagging stuff you don't want to hear would defeat that purpose.

I like to tag things I don't like as shithouse, putrid, boring, etc. I thought it might be helpful as a warning to those unfamiliar with the bands in question. :p

I guess I'll delete those tags now though since it apparently makes those bands show up on my radio. I'd figured what I'd played would be what would show up on my radio, and tagging would just, well, tag. :(

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2006, 23:28

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth spacefish:
    The upside to tags is that if I decide I don't want that artist in my personal radio anymore, I just remove them from that tagset. The old method provided no way to go back and remove them, nor any way to keep track of which artists/albums/tracks I'd already added.

Yes it did. There was a perfectly useful profile editor to remove tracks you had previously played from your personal profile. And you could use the ban button to quite effectively prevent them from being played again. They would then be listed in the old profile editor with some kind of red marking next to them indicating that they had been banned.

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quoth knilaus:
    Quoth spacefish:

Yes it did. There was a perfectly useful profile editor to remove tracks you had previously played from your personal profile. And you could use the ban button to quite effectively prevent them from being played again. They would then be listed in the old profile editor with some kind of red marking next to them indicating that they had been banned.

Well, even when the [+] option was available on the new site (last.fm not audiscrobbler, which is what we're discussing), there was no way to view this information in the profile editor (and there's currently no way to view loved/banned tracks either), so that's where my response comes from. My experience is recent and the [+] option was here at one time and I even liked it, but I do see it's drawbacks now that it's gone and I've replaced it using a single a tag.

The fact remains that you could not see which items you had marked using the [+] button, so it was quite a bear to manage. I'm certainly not saying tags are the right way to go (if the responses in this thread are any indication), but I have learned to use tags for that purpose now and it suits me. In any event, only the devs know for sure if the option's coming back and in what form.

• Re: Re:Re: Re:

Quoth DontLetsStart:

I like to tag things I don't like as shithouse, putrid, boring, etc. I thought it might be helpful as a warning to those unfamiliar with the bands in question. :p

I guess I'll delete those tags now though since it apparently makes those bands show up on my radio. I'd figured what I'd played would be what would show up on my radio, and tagging would just, well, tag. :(

I can see how tagging would be a problem in that case and I'd have to agree that it's not truly clear exactly what happens when you tag something. I have tagged a few items and but I can't honestly say I've ever noticed those ever playing again. How much weight the actual tag gives the item, if any, is debatable. Perhaps when we get the new version of the profile editor it will make banning and keeping track of those crap tracks a lot easier.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jan 2006, 07:17
    Yeah, I'd be interested in more detail about how the radio actually works. Like for group radio, are tracks played by 15 people 15 times more likely to show up than tracks played by one person? And does tagging influence that? I'm not sure why this sort of information isn't publically available.

• nobones said...
    • User
    • 9 Feb 2006, 00:29

Please please please please just let us have "add to profile" back!!

Having read all the posts on the subject I'm more convinced than ever that "Add to profile" needs to come back.
    I want to be able to surf the artist lists (as I used to) and add tracks I like the look of to my personal profile (which I've already spent months building up). I don't want to start another station from scratch using tags.

Would it really be that difficult to bring it back?

Also, I still don't know if "previewing" a track adds it to my profile if "record to profile" is switched on?

• I'd like to see 'add to profile' back too, I don't like the fact that creating tags adds all those tracks to my personal radio.
    My personal radio is a complete mess because I've tagged stuff I don't generally listen to, sometimes I tag stuff that I think I might get interested in, or just because I want to hear what a particular album or track is like. Now if I listen to my personal radio I end up skipping loads of stuff.

On the other hand, I can't seem to listen to most of my tags anyway(ongoing problem that no-one seems to know how to sort out), so I've listened to my tagged tracks through the personal radio anyway. But it would be nice to have the option of adding to profile back the old way.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.