Forum » Web Site Support

How does last.fm work?

• How does last.fm work?

I realise i'm probably being immensely thick here, but i can't find anywhere on the website that actually explains how last.fm actually works.

For example, i know it can 'learn' what music i like, but how do i teach it? Is it through clicking love/ban/skip or adding things to the library or scrobbling or what?

Is there anywhere where i can enter the genres and artists i like to speed up the learning process?

If i click 'love' will it play me this tune more frequently than others or will it just register that i like this style of music? If i click 'skip' coz i don't feel like listening to that tune at the moment, will it think i don't really like that track?

What exactly is the 'My recommendations' radio station? Is it me recommending tracks to others (which i'm sure i haven't done) or is it last.fm's recommendations to me (which is surely what it does on the 'my radio station' anyhow)

Any help gratefully received,
    Thanks

• DFA1979 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 3 Sep 2008, 10:01

Re: How does last.fm work?

Merrowyn said:
    For example, i know it can 'learn' what music i like, but how do i teach it? Is it through clicking love/ban/skip or adding things to the library or scrobbling or what?
    All of them - scrobbling is the main way, but adding artists/tracks to your library also does it, as does loving/banning/skipping/listening to tracks on the radio. Pretty much anything you do on the site is taken into account when it tries to figure out what you'll like.

Is there anywhere where i can enter the genres and artists i like to speed up the learning process? Not really, the 'add to library' buttons are roughly what you're asking for.

If i click 'love' will it play me this tune more frequently than others or will it just register that i like this style of music? If i click 'skip' coz i don't feel like listening to that tune at the moment, will it think i don't really like that track?Loving tracks adds them to your loved tracks list (which subscribers can listen to, once it's big enough), I don't know exactly how it affects recommendations though. Skipping one track won't make a huge difference to anything, but if you skip 5 or 6 songs by an artist it should stop playing you songs by that artist (or at least not do so very often).

What exactly is the 'My recommendations' radio station? Is it me recommending tracks to others (which i'm sure i haven't done) or is it last.fm's recommendations to me (which is surely what it does on the 'my radio station' anyhow)
    My recommendations is what Last.fm recommends you should listen to - artists from this list. 'My Radio Station' (now known on-site as 'My Library', but the software hasn't been updated yet) plays your library, not your recommendations.

• Babs_05 said...
    • 3 Sep 2008, 12:19
    Your Library (formerly My Radio) is anything you have ever listened to / tagged / loved. So if I go to listen to your Library, I will only hear what you have scrobbled. You can edit your Library, but remember, if you delete an artist, you also delete all their plays from your charts.

Last.fm Recommendations looks at what's in your Library and then makes suggestions based on that. So you can 'teach' Last.fm what you like by going round the site and Adding artists/tracks/albums to your Library. Previews don't get added to your Library unless you love / tag whilst listening, then they do.

I'm not sure if loved tracks play more frequently and skipped tracks less so. I haven't noticed a difference. I do that too - skip when I'm not in the mood for something.

You can't enter genres you like. Just add the artists you want from your favourite genres, that should do the trick.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.