Forum » Web Site Support

Red & green squares instead of website.

• Red & green squares instead of website.

Not sure if this is Chrome or Lastfm, although it only effects Lastfm. Ever since I updated Chrome to 21 -- the latest stable version -- every now and then I get this instead of the website:

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c3hic5685f8nqd/Lastfm.png, if embedding doesn't work)

Definitely one of the oddest errors I've encountered. The website pops up for a moment and then is replaced with this, although it seems to still remain active behind the image (I can click links and so forth).

Any thoughts? I've googled as best I can, with no sign that anyone else experienced this.

• Do you get the problem in other browsers too?

• Checked in IE9, with no problem. But since it's an intermittent problem, it's hard to tell. Will check again when it happens again in chrome.

• Did a reverse image search and found this: http://www.chw.net/foro/tarjetas-de-video-f20/982311-aceleracion-por-gpu-escoge-integrada-no-la-independiente.html

He doesn't quite say what his image relates to, but it might suggest it's something to do with Chrome 21 + Intel HD acceleration. Have yet to see it on any site other than lastfm though.

• Suffering from the same problem. I am not very tech savvy and i really hope it's not a problem with a graphics card or something as i do not have the time or money to fix it and Chrome is the only browser i use anymore and i would hate to have to switch over to a new one just for last.fm.

• DIYGene said...
    • User
    • 4 Aug 2012, 05:30

Re: Red & green squares instead of website.

DamienStorey said:
    Not sure if this is Chrome or Lastfm, although it only effects Lastfm. Ever since I updated Chrome to 21 -- the latest stable version -- every now and then I get this instead of the website:

I get it intermittently on other web pages, using Chrome 21, so it's not just last.fm

• I Also have this problem, only in Lastfm. If I refresh the page it goes away.

• Glad to see it's not just me. I'm convinced now that it's a chrome rendering problem. I notice, for example, that if you right click and choose 'inspect element' the page reappears.

• Having the same problem. It's being discussed here, if anyone wants to keep an eye out on a possible solution. But I haven't seen it being discussed in many places. The squares appear frequently on tumblr

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/MZ0b1gUt4S0

• Im having the same problem i thought it was a malware or something because also recently some of my site haven't been loading (ie.facebook, hotmail etc) going to the server connection error page telling me to reload so i thought this was related these squares i would usually have to reload or go to google search the for the website and use that link to regain access to the site and then the site just times out unexpectedly :S i saw this forum and they seem to be discussing it i think there's an answer there can any of you try it and see if it works http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/red-boxes-in-internet-explorer-7/7173dec5-8eef-4996-bba0-6abe6f2d1854

• We're investigating this issue, but on the surface it sounds like the problem is related to the latest Chrome update, rather than Last.fm itself.

It would be helpful if you clarify which pages (on Last.fm and other websites) are affected by this issue. Is it random, or are only certain pages affected? For instance, is it just the new catalogue pages or other pages on the site as well? (e.g. user profiles)

Also could you please confirm exactly when this problem started? Was definitely after the most recent chrome update?

• Also have this.

• The problem started for me during the night on the 3rd i believe. It started while i was looking at an artist's page. Since then it randomly appears on the forums, my profile, other people profiles and artist's profiles. Also, it's definitively not just Last.fm, it happened to me while browsing 4chan last night.

• Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem, I guess.

Here, it's only affecting Lastfm, though it really seems that the problem is related to the browser, since I'm also using Chrome.

It started on the 2nd, and I also get it randomly. Already appeared on the forums and on my profile.

• After following the discussion of this problem in the chrome forum, pointed out by nelzelpher1993 (http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/MZ0b1gUt4S0) it's very clear now that this is not a last.fm issue. It's a known chrome bug that appeared rarely in previous releases but has become a common problem with version 21. It looks like it is a high priority bug and will be fixed in the next release.

• Latest Chrome came with a lot of bugs, that's why I returned to Firefox... Chrome didn't even show the images on Artist pages... :/

• Chrome is the only thing i use anymore. I'm just going to push through until the newer release fixes this.

• yeah, i've been getting this problem too. thought it was a virus. i usually see it when i'm on tumblr.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Aug 2012, 23:58
    Hey I'm having this problem too. But what is awkward is that it only happens when I'm accessing lastfm from my notebook... when's from the PC everything is fine. I also ran many scans to check for viruses and I'm clean (using AVG Internet Security 2011). Confortable to see that it's not just me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2012, 18:40
    Hey hey I found that if you press F12 and go any line up or down the squares disappear

• Green and red squares no more!

I cant see it being a rendering issue for the simple fact that if the card renders these green and red squares then the can render anything. These squares shade in and out of each color. I think its a simple fact that the internet is getting very dangerous and you are more often then not being tracked. These squares are most likely a redirect. We should find what is behind this. If so many people see the very same thing at the same time... then it could very well be a virus. I work conspiracy theories and find most of those sites I am searching on are the ones that get "blocked" I never seen it happen on a https site yet. But I will say leaving one is always the time in which this happens to me. Happened to me 3 days ago and I scanned my system completely. Had some security issues but everything came out clean and now I see them no more. my advise: Clean your system with a good system scanner With virus and registry cleaners. For free Iobit is a good system cleaner and Avast for virus scans. The rest is up to you.

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 21 Aug 2012, 04:06
    @Digdugery
    Google is behind it. They also control the internet. Coincidence?

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.