Forum » Web Site Support

Volume Normalization

• c4t2007 said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2012, 09:32

Volume Normalization

Rock You Like a Hurricane sounds disappointingly soft right after listening to Dust in the Wind.

The other way around could be worse, even with these two tracks.
    (Volume of Explosivo < Steel Bomber < Dynamite.)

Is the volume normalization not happening anymore?

Sadly, this machine does not appear to have a workaround. Maybe Winamp can work around this bug.

“Brazil’s cattle industry [...] is responsible for about 80 percent of all deforestation in the Amazon. In fact, the Brazilian cattle industry is the largest single source of deforestation anywhere in the world. And deforestation in turn causes one-fifth of all the greenhouse gas emissions in the world, more than all the world’s cars, trucks, trains, planes, and ships combined.” - Lindsey Allen
    Child labour: the tobacco industry's smoking gun
    Up to 90 percent of logging has ties to organized crime in some tropical countries.
    • c4t2007 said...
    • User
    • 25 Jun 2012, 12:00
    After enjoying Pretty Tied Up I can barely hear Rocket Queen. :(

Good thing i wasn't wearing my headset when the next track, So Lonely came on. Is Last.fm liable for hearing injuries?

The next two tracks, Poison and Jump sound even worse, volume-wise. Maybe i should take my money to a different radio service.

“Brazil’s cattle industry [...] is responsible for about 80 percent of all deforestation in the Amazon. In fact, the Brazilian cattle industry is the largest single source of deforestation anywhere in the world. And deforestation in turn causes one-fifth of all the greenhouse gas emissions in the world, more than all the world’s cars, trucks, trains, planes, and ships combined.” - Lindsey Allen
    Up to 90 percent of logging has ties to organized crime in some tropical countries.
  • I am also familiar with several dozen tracks, that jump from low volume to normal and even louder than should be aloud. Normalization at time of track upload, just doesn't seem to work. These tracks I speak of, repeat the same effect in the old Client, as well as in the Beta Client.

• c4t2007 said...
    • User
    • 26 Jun 2012, 12:54
    On this page i can only clearly reproduce the issue with the previews of Explosivo, Steel Bomber, and Dynamite. Each much louder than the last.

Ads are also louder, according to this thread.

05-07-12: Rock 'n' Roll Rebel was followed by Caught Somewhere In Time. Ouch.

At least Microsoft shares our pain; they recommend Pandora next to their own offering.

• c4t2007 said...
    • User
    • 5 Jul 2012, 15:06
    CrybKeeper said:
    I am also familiar with several dozen tracks, that jump from low volume to normal and even louder than should be aloud. Normalization at time of track upload, just doesn't seem to work. These tracks I speak of, repeat the same effect in the old Client, as well as in the Beta Client.
    That might be the artist's intent, see The Death of Dynamic Range - people against Loudness War.

• I've noticed what might be the source of the problems as the above, as when volume has changed unintentionally on my computer I can see there is a change on the Windows/Computer mix for various sources (the computer has turned down the "wave," as distinguished from the CD, synthesizer, general volume levels). Therefore, I'm suspecting there is some kind of unintended interaction between the last.fm player and the computer's general mix of volume from different sources, which is why the last.fm player itself shows no change in output despite that we listeners can hear it.

Sometimes previously when this problem occurred I turned up the volume on the "wave" source, after the last.fm player had played a few songs, but not shortly afterwards I had to turn it down again. Now I'm going rather to try not changing the computer's internal mix of volumes after it has changed when I listen, only raising the general volume on the speakers, and maybe it'll stay the same after that. Of course, this seems not to be a good solution in the long run, but then this player is free so why complain (last.fm staff might want to take notice though, for future purposes).

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.