Forum » Web Site Support

Remixes Not Marked as Remixes, Look Like Regular Versions

• mfels said...
    • User
    • 13 Mar 2012, 19:58

Remixes Not Marked as Remixes, Look Like Regular Versions

One of the biggest problems I've had with last.fm is that remixes are often not marked as remixes, and sometimes the 'regular' version of a song is difficult to find because what appears to be the regular version of it is actually an unmarked remix.

Example - I go to an artist page and 'love' my favourite songs from them. Eventually the songs will play on my radio but often they turn out to be remixes, even though they appeared to just be the regular version of the song. Specific examples off the top of my head from today include:
    Lady Gaga - Poker Face
    Ke$ha - Your Love is My Drug
    Ciara - 1,2 Step

To get around this I then have to go to the artist page, find another version of the same song (usually without a sample to listen to) which also appears to be the regular version of the song, 'love' that song and ban the currently playing remix to avoid it coming up again in the future. Hopefuly the second "regular version" of the song that I have 'loved' is actually the regular version, and not another unmarked remix otherwise this happens all over again.

Some remixes are labelled as remixes, and that is great that remixes are available on last.fm, but shouldn't all songs be checked to ensure they are labelled correctly so there is no confusion?

• headey said...
    • User
    • 13 Mar 2012, 23:29
    +1
    & see
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/630651/_/17647780
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/630651/_/17668145
    http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/2034282/_/17883553

edit
    I don't understand the logic.
    If I was a label I'd want to know that what the punter is hearing on a radio play is what they will get when they buy the track.

? But maybe the bulk of purchases are straight after the release & then they put a naff version on once sales have declined -just to hack off the cheapskates. ?

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
    Edited by headey on 14 Mar 2012, 18:18
  • Same goes for Live versions and even a few cover-versions.

I think, but don't know for sure, it's probably by two inaccurate actions.

1. New albums added to LFM catalogue have not the right track titles.
    2. Errors with auto-correction?

Yesterday, I heard a track that sounded just like it was recorded from vinyl with all sort of odd sounds going on. I know the original versions both in vinyl and digital so I recognise when it's different. I want to hear that one again as to eliminate it being a remix or alternative take or demo.

I can't be held responsable for whatever i say
    • mfels said...
    • User
    • 20 Mar 2012, 21:00
    Thanks for the replies guys, very disappointed to see that I haven't received any commentary from the staff here though.

After reading through the threads you linked to headey, it's obvious there is no response from last.fm on this which is unacceptable. Looks like I'm in a bit of a better position than some of the others who are saying songs they've listened to many times are actually being changed to different versions but still, the fact that last.fm can't properly tag and review music is really pathetic -it's basically the most important step in the uploading process...

Any explanation, last.fm? I know it's a token amount but I am still paying for your services and you are not keeping up your end of the bargain.

• I think Eddy nailed this one, we get a lot of badly tagged content from labels which means recordings are associated with the wrong tracks (this goes for remixes, live, karaoke versions, pan pipe covers, you name it).

This issue is exascerbated by our auto-corrections which may in some cases correct the remix version to the original version, hence the recording is associated with the original.

I'll look into the examples you have provided.

• headey said...
    • User
    • 27 Apr 2012, 19:58
    The preview is ok ;
    Procol Harum A Whiter Shade of Pale

the stream isn't : it's about 4:12-4:18 incl 6sec of silence if that is any help.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein
    -but how boring life would be

headey cocktail
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.