Forum » Web Site Support

"Friends that listen to..." different from Total Scrobble

• "Friends that listen to..." different from Total Scrobble

I noticed that the values of scrobbles in the table "Friends that listen to..." are wrong.

For example, in my case for the band W.A.K.O.:

Scrobbles shown in "Friends that listen to..." table - 2
    Real number of scrobbles - 45

The difference I detected is that the 2 in the friends table were online, the rest were cached.

I think this is a bug.

• We're still working on fixing this, the problem is it's taking deleted scrobbles into account, and also not counting any scrobbles which came from importing them from a media player when setting up a new account.

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 2 Feb 2012, 03:25
    I am shown consistently lower play counts with all artists. I have not deleted hundreds of scrobbles that would be needed to get to some of the counts shown for some artists. Also, I have never imported tracks - that option was not available until many months after I started using Last.fm.

Also, I know the play counts for my listens are too low, are we also seeing the lower counts of our friends? I would assume so.

Music, like language, is universal.
    • DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 2 Feb 2012, 19:45
    Is it possible that the count given in the "Friends that listen to" count also excludes plays made before time stamps were associated with scrobbles, i.e., before February, 2005? I know the difference shows up on the tracks pages and the page showing when I have listened to a track.

For example, if I go to the track page for Sunrise or to the page that lists what tracks by Norah Jones I have listened to, it says I have listened to "Sunrise" 60 times (the first time being 13 Feb, 2005 - the first date that time stamps were associated with scrobbles and the date listed as the first listen to date for all scrobbles made before that date). However, if I go to the page listing the individual scrobbles for Sunrise, I count only 34 scrobbles, the earliest being 10 April, 2005, the first time I listened to the track after time stamps were associated with scrobbles.

If these pre-13 Feb 2005 scrobbles aren't being counted by "Friends that listen to", then just with "Sunrise", 26 plays of the difference between the 1125 plays the Norah Jones page says I have and the 1003 plays listed by "Friends that listen to" are accounted for.

• If the total is lower, it's because we're not currently taking into account any scrobbles imported from your media player (bootstrapped) when you set up your account.

We are hoping to roll out a fix for this soon.

• Like the previous poster DoctorT, I have **never** imported from a player. The incorrect play counts for me refer to my total for that artist on Sept 1st 2011 for every artist I have checked (using Scrobbing Timeline).

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 3 Feb 2012, 14:09
    As I mentioned, I have never imported any tracks. I have seen a few artists that the play count and the Friends count agree, but most are off from anywhere from 1 or 2 to a couple hundred. Diana Krall is another example. Her artist page says I have scrobbled 3342 tracks and the "Friends have listened to" page says I have scrobbled 2896. The only thing I can think of to explain this difference is the one I mentioned above, that the pre-time stamped scrobbles, those from before 13 Feb 2005, are not being counted, as if they had been imported. I know I have not deleted 400-odd scrobbles of hers.

Johnny Cash is another example, his numbers are 2699 vs 2147. Pete Seeger - 2172 vs 1734.

Hayley Westenra may highlight another cause for a difference. Her numbers are 76 vs 56, however, I have just listened to several tracks and it could be that the Friends count lags behind the actual count including recent plays. The Friends count for her was 55 yesterday.

But the scenario in the 1st paragraph would not explain Iskra42463's situation because he joined in 2010, well after 2005.

• Shorty5 said...
    • User
    • 4 Feb 2012, 02:48
    Just to add, I have the same problem and I've never imported any music cos I got my account in 2005, before you guys brought in the import feature?

But it's cool to see you guys are fixing it, cos it's a really cool feature (:

Also, any word on when the fix is coming for going past 50 pages when we look at our tracks?

BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD <3
  • I don't trust this new feature, over 50% of the playcounts aren't correct. I compare playcounts for artists I haven't listened to for about two to three months and the playcounts don't match, usualy they are a few plays off. At first it thought it was some update lag, but seriously even after more than a month it doesn't match up. Why keep this feature if you can't make it work?

• DoctorT said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2012, 11:17
    jazzthieve said:
    I don't trust this new feature, over 50% of the playcounts aren't correct. I compare playcounts for artists I haven't listened to for about two to three months and the playcounts don't match, usualy they are a few plays off. At first it thought it was some update lag, but seriously even after more than a month it doesn't match up. Why keep this feature if you can't make it work?

I realize that the numbers are off, not just for me, but for many; but I still see the "Friends that listen to" pages interesting in showing which of my friends have listened to a given artist and a rough estimate of how much those friends have listened to that artist.

• Thanks for the additional info DoctorT, we're investigating.

• For me, it's the other way round. It shows much more plays on the "Friends that listen to" pages than on my profile, example: For the Beatles, it shows 2000+ on the friends page, while in fact I have only around 300. As has already been mentioned, it seems that deleted plays are taken into account (and by that I mean data that was deleted in a profile reset). I reset my data twice and all the plays from before the two resets would approximately add up to the number shown on the friends pages, for all artists.
    Off topic, but what bugs me then is why it isn't possible to somehow "undo" the resets. I regret resetting and would like to restore my old data, but everyone keeps saying the data is lost forever. How come it is displayed on the friends page then?

• Alainn said...
    • User
    • 4 May 2012, 18:49
    It's also possible to get different results based on auto-correction: mine is turned off and I'll sometimes see no previous plays on an artist-profile but 1 or more on the Ftlt-pages.

New: Obscure Music Blogs a collection of music blogs with rare/obscure music from all genres
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.