Forum » Last.fm on Xbox LIVE

Xbox Live app discontinued from 27th January

• Xbox Live app discontinued from 27th January

Update: The app has now been disabled - when trying to log in, you will see the message: "Sorry, Last.fm isn't available right now."

To remove the app from your console, please navigate to:

Settings > System > Storage > Games & Apps

Find Last.fm, and press (Y) for more options. You can then delete the app from your system.

We've emailed all affected subscribers and are running an announcement advert within the app itself. However, if you missed the announcement, I'll confirm: As of 27th January 2014 we will be switching off the Last.fm application on Xbox Live.

We have some really exciting developments coming up in 2014 which we are focusing all of our energy on. Unfortunately the Last.fm Xbox App doesn't fit in with those plans and is being discontinued.

As an Xbox 360 user myself, I know this might come as a disappointment, however we will be announcing some exciting news early this year, so please stay tuned for that. In the meantime, don't forget that you can continue to listen to your personal stations on our website here: http://www.last.fm/listen

If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact us at notify@last.fm or post in this thread.

This is absurd!!! Why is this happening?!?

Does anyone from Last.fm even read these forums? Depressing state of affairs on last.fm lately. No support for the Android app (I suspect probably not much for the iOS app either), and now dropping Xbox. Why?

Edited by Maddieman on 28 Jan 2014, 11:46
  • Yeah, I just got the same email this morning. You see that little black "subscriber" mark on my avatar? That'll be going. The android app is useless, and now with the xbox app going too, there's no reason for me to subscribe.

They're teasing some sort of video player app - but I don't want video. There's plenty of video player apps like vevo, etc. This is typical last.fm not understanding why people subscribe and use their service.

Coincidentally, there's no-one listening to their twitter feed @lastfm either, where I also complained about the xbox app being canned. If they don't care, why should I?

• Subscription just cancelled. Was the main reason I subscribed in the first place.

• disappointing

Just cancelled my subscription also. 99.9% of the time I use last.fm on my Xbox. The other .1% on my WP8 - now I have no use for it. An explanation would be great as to why a simple app on Xbox is being discontinued.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Dec 2013, 16:40

Cancelled

I cancelled as well. I used the xbox app 90% of the time when I listened to last.fm and I loved it...Removing this option makes it not even worth the $3 a month that they charge

• wait, what?

• funny, I didn't get an email. I just now heard it a few moments ago, though. I hardly use it these days, anyway. Last.fm seems to rapidly get worse and worse ever since they got rid of the desktop player. Even though, it repeated A LOT of the songs too often, I still liked it.

• I will most likely be cancelling my subscription as well. I do hope there is a good reason for this.

• I have just renewed my Xbox live subscription to access the Last FM app to find it ends on the 14th Jan. Not happy! Would really like to know why this is happening and also why there is virtually no information to be found anywhere about this major change?

Connoisseur of great music until Last FM took it away.
  • Where did you guys hear its shutting down ?

I listen all the time but haven't received an email or received info on the xbox ?

• A very infrequent announcement (I've only heard it once in the last 2 hours) stating it ends on the 14/1 and pointing people to the 'new' Last FM player facility.

Connoisseur of great music until Last FM took it away.
  • LAST FM

don't stop your Xbox app guys. come on. some people actually use it

• Just saw the announcement...not impressed as it is the only way I can currently access my library and still scrobble my tunes. Either fix the windows phone app or keep the xbox app

I know I was born and I know that I'll die.
    The in between is mine.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Just saw this as well. Guess i won't even be scrobbling anything anymore. An Xbox One and 360 app would be fantastic.

I LOVE YOU JESUS CHRIST - MC Ride.
  • No... Why?

I saw the announcement too. The Xbox 360 app is my favorite way to scrobble. And I tried using the Last.fm player on the Internet Explorer app on Xbox... it doesn't work :(

• Where did you guys hear its shutting down ?We've emailed all affected subscribers and are running an announcement advert within the app itself. However, if you missed the announcement, I'll confirm: As of 14th January 2014 (today) we will be switching off the Last.fm application on Xbox Live.

We have some really exciting developments coming up in 2014 which we are focusing all of our energy on. Unfortunately the Last.fm Xbox App doesn't fit in with those plans and is being discontinued.

As an Xbox 360 user myself, I know this might come as a disappointment, however we will be announcing some exciting news early this year, so please stay tuned for that. In the meantime, don't forget that you can continue to listen to your personal stations on our website here: http://www.last.fm/listen

If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact us at notify@last.fm or post in this thread.

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
  • I'm gutted that this service is no longer going to be supported. Down with this sort of thing.

• I was saddened to hear the service on Xbox Live is being discontinued. But here it is January 15 and it is still working. I hope it was just a fluke. If not, then thank you for the years the Xbox Live app is what got me hooked.

• So it's Jan 16th, and I'm still listening to Last.fm on my Xbox 360... What's going on? Are you discontinuing the service or not?

• Erm....

Okay so I've been listening to Last.fm exclusively on my Xbox for years now and recently close to everyday. I heard the ad that claimed it was being shut down on the 14th and said goodbye to my use of the service (I'll start bugging Spotify for an app instead). But it's the 16th and it's still going?

Telling us you're taking away something for seemingly no decent reason and then saying you have new and other exciting news does not make any of us excited or forget about you cancelling the app, so please stop playing that annoying card.

Since the app is still functional, can someone please be straight with us and tell us the status? Being ignored isn't fun.

Opium Pulses ~ Pulsing Through Your Games!
  • this is crap

This Is straight crap!!!!I love last fm!!!!!

• >>>So it's Jan 16th, and I'm still listening to Last.fm on my Xbox 360... What's going on? Are you discontinuing the service or not?

Yes, it's still set to be discontinued. We've not changed our plans.

The app was supposed to be revoked on the 14th, but due to an issue on Microsoft's side, it wasn't. We've reached out to them, but I don't have an exact time or date of when the app will finally be turned off. However, I expect that it' api key will be revoked sometime next week, so I recommend that you uninstall it before then.

Is it Christmas yet?
    http://www.last.fm/christmas
  • Maddieman said:
    Yes, it's still set to be discontinued. We've not changed our plans.

Of course, why would you listen to your userbase? That's too easy.

• Well, that's me done, literally no reason for me to use Last.fm anymore, seeing as it seems they've removed their Windows Phone app too.

Way to push people to use alternative services.

Edited by SlipSlot on 24 Jan 2014, 11:28
  • Maddieman said:
    >>> However, I expect that it' api key will be revoked sometime next week, so I recommend that you uninstall it before then.

HAHA I will listen until the app won't let me listen anymore!!!!! Thanks for thinking of your listeners last.fm! Lame a roo!!!!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.