Why Do You Use Spotify? (Help with my MA paper!)

• Why Do You Use Spotify? (Help with my MA paper!)

Hi Guys!

Just wondering if any of you guys could help me out a bit? I'm currently writing and researching my MA Dissertation in Popular Music studies, it's about the ways in which services like Spotify have affected the ways in which we interact with, consume, and value our music.

One of my focuses is Spotify (which I've been pretty much obsessed with using for a while now) so I was wondering if any of you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Things like...
    Why you use Spotify? What are the best things about it?
    Do you use it as your sole way of accessing music?
    Can you imagine a world where sites like Spotify are the only way of accessing music?
    Do you listen differently when using Spotify (in comparison to say a CD or MP3 library)

Anything really though would be great... THANKS! :D

xx

• tflatron escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Sep 2010, 13:16
    I use Spotify because I can access vast quantities of streaming music for a minimal fee. It also has a great client / UI compared to similar services such as we7.

No, I like to use Hype Machine and Last.fm radio sometimes. I also listen to an mp3 when I am out and about.

Can you imagine a world where sites like Spotify are the only way of accessing music?
    No. i think its better for consumers to access their music from multiple sources, such as the cloud or CDs.

Do you listen differently when using Spotify (in comparison to say a CD or MP3 library)
    I dont purchase / listen to CDs anymore and I can access my mp3 library through Spotify.

==========================

Maybe this previous post will help you generate some ideas / questions?

http://www.last.fm/group/spotify/forum/118076/_/618966

• Why you use Spotify? What are the best things about it?

First and foremost, it's free to use. There is a massive library of music available and it is constantly being updated. You can use it alongside Facebook and Last.fm to scrobble music, which was a main feature for me. I love making playlists and instantly being able to find recommended music.

Yes. I haven't bought CDs in a few years because they take up too much space on my harddrive. I don't own a CD player anymore either.

YES! Definitely. It would be amazing if we could use it for free on ipods.

All my local files are imported into Spotify. I have my mp3 player on when Im out but whenever I am in the house I use Spotify.

• Cocoadile escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Oct 2010, 20:57

I use Spotify both because it has a massive music library that is regularly updated and because it allows me to connect with other people. I like the social features, being able to search for playlists and send songs It also has an easy to use interface which is a plus. Oh and it is free. :)

No, I still buy CDs and listen to radio, both traditional and online stations.

I can, but the idea doesn't really appeal to me. I think Spotify is great, but like with any other media it's always better to have multiple sources to get the best out of it. Even more so because there are a lot of artists who have decided not to put their songs on Spotify.

Do you listen differently when using Spotify (in comparison to say a CD or MP3 library)When I'm on the computer it makes little difference to me if the song is originally from a CD or from a server cloud. However I also enjoy listening to music from my stereos (loud) and that is where CDs take the cake. The quality is better and it is easier for me to focus on the music when I don't have a computer screen in front of me.

• Why you use Spotify? What are the best things about it?

It's so handy. Takes seconds to find music. And it's free.

No. I play my mp3s on Foobar, and i play cd's

Yeah. But there'll always be exceptions. I can also imagine museums paying big spacebucks for ancient times, pre-apocalyptic, cd's.

Do you listen differently when using Spotify (in comparison to say a CD or MP3 library)?

Yes. I listen to artists I don't know, or don't have in my mp3 library.

• m0nkiii escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 25 Oct 2010, 20:44
    Why you use Spotify? What are the best things about it?I'm lazy, so Spotify is perfect for me. There's so much music you can browse and play. Now when I have an Sony Ericsson X10 android mobile phone it's even more perfect. I have 10 millions tracks in your pocket at all times. Easy to share music too.

Do you use it as your sole way of accessing music?At the moment I do. I have local file though.

Can you imagine a world where sites like Spotify are the only way of accessing music?Of course, if the track count always grows and if it will very reliable and don't go away. At least you can throw away the CDs.

Do you listen differently when using Spotify (in comparison to say a CD or MP3 library)I can listen to what ever I feel like. I can search for a track I'd just heard on the radio or something. That's kind difficult when you're listening to your local library. I like the possibilities and unlimited access to 10 millions tracks.

• Re: Why Do You Use Spotify? (Help with my MA paper!)

Mainly to try an album or an artist, it's a better way than with only 30sec on "Preview this track" here or elsewhere

Certainly not, for me the "human part" / "human intervention" will always be the most important(*), so
    1 -
    2 - Friends or neighbours on LastFM
    3 - by friends
    4 - and
    5 -

Certainly not... previous answer + I Still Buy CDs

No when I already know,
    and yes when I'm testing because if it's a first listening, I have to stay near my computer (which is connected to my Hi Fi) to tag it if necessary...
    So mainly yes, I'm paying more attention when I'm using Spotify.

(*) by the way I'm french and really not "fluent" in english...

• Re: Why Do You Use Spotify? (Help with my MA paper!)

I use Spotify to listen to music I already know, check out some playlists from great curators and discover some new music through the Pitchfork/We Are Hunted apps. I love how I can just search for an artist/album and start listening right away. Convenience pur sang.

No. I use other sites and services like:

- 22tracks.com. Curated playlists by professionals, based in Amsterdam, Brussels and London. It's actually a great concept, you should check it out!
    - Hypem.. Just to see what's going on in the blogosphere
    - Shuffler.fm.. idem dito
    - Last.fm app (I'm a subscriber), for when I just want to hear music without choosing..
    - Mixcloud & Soundcloud. Some great DJ sets on there
    - RCRDLBL.com.. Checking out their free MP3's every day.. They got some good stuff

Yes I could.. I don't mind paying 10 bucks for unlimited music.. Though Spotify is evolving into a platform, rather then being just a music service. The apps Spotify offers (and upcoming apps build at several hack-a-thons) really give an additional twist to the whole game.. So yes, I can imagine a world where supscription sites are the sole source of listening your music (though probably it'll never be like this), but there'll me more emphasis on those apps..

Sometimes yes.. Skipping/browsing a lot... Sometimes I listen to whole albums, just as I would when listening to a CD.. Depends on my mood

• Why you use Spotify?

I can listen to artist and albums I've never heard before
    What are the best things about it?

It's free for the most part and even premium is worth it's price

No I use Last.fm because the radios are configured better. Also, Slacker because it was working better on my phone. Reverb Nation for local and weird bands. YouTube for videos and a bunch of other sites.

More stolen music.

Yes I listen to the same artist for hours instead of shuffling different artist or songs for mp3's or switching artist after an album is done playing.

Hope this helps

• Vijoko escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 28 Oct 2012, 16:14
    It is free and I can scrobble music easily via it and I don't have to download music to my computer

No, I still buy CDs and use grooveshark.com and I have music on my computer

No. I like CDs so much

Yes sometimes. I can sometimes listen to only one band or artist or sometimes I listen unknown artists or bands

• fduniho escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Ene 2013, 3:44

I use a music streaming service, because it is the least expensive and most convenient way to explore music. I used to buy MP3s at discount prices, but those prices rose too high, and I switched to streaming. I have chosen Spotify over other streaming services, because it has better sound and is more reliable than Rhapsody, and it beats out MOG by having music recommendation apps, the most useful being the Last.fm app.

No, I own many CDs and MP3s, and I also watch music videos on YouTube. Also, my MP3 player does not work with Spotify.

No, streaming sites stream computer files, and these can be distributed by other means, such as downloading or physical media. There is also lots of old hard media around, such as records and tapes. Also, all music starts with original performances. There will always be venues for original performances, or music itself will die. There will continue to be live music. And as long as there are amateur artists, there will continue to be music you can download for free, such as through Jamendo, SoundCloud, or Bandcamp.

Spotify allows me to listen to playlists, which I can't do with CDs and don't do very much with my own MP3 collection. But with all three, I tend to listen to whole albums most of the time. As far as the act of listening itself goes, no. The source of the music I'm listening to does not affect how I listen to it.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.