Agalloch, Post Metal?

• Agalloch, Post Metal?

Refering to posts in this groups shoutbox, apparently many people believe Agalloch are post metal, and should be more appreciated. Agalloch are one of my favorite bands, but I dont know if I would calll them post metl, but experimental dark metal, but I'll let you guys be the deciding factor of this...

• [spam]

Editado por hjbardenhagen el 9 Ene 2011, 16:55
    • HexOmega escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 31 Jul 2008, 10:04
    Dark Metal.

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Ago 2008, 20:53
    Atmospheric metal.

• Ashes does have a big post rock influence, but I agree, not a post metal band. Awesome band no doubt though.

• Dark_dude escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Ago 2008, 22:03
    Schizoid man just spoke the truth. Ashes Against The Grain has clear post-rock influence, but post-metal? Na.

• Neofolk Doom.

• The Mantle is as post-metal as hell, not only becaus it's a pseudo-concept album like Oceanic

• Dark_dude escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Ago 2008, 5:25
    ... What? The Mantle is basically just Dark Ambient experimentation around Folk Rock, with elements of Progressive Metal and Doom Metal...

• Not really folk rock. More like neofolk.

• Usuario
    • 31 Ago 2008, 12:09
    Metal? Check.
    Post-rock influence? Check.
    Progressive structures? Check.
    Roots in industrial? Neofolk, check.
    Agalloch post-metal? Check.

Doesn't this make you see the errors of your ways?

• Metal-Check
    Post rock influences- On ashes
    Prog structures-Check
    Roots in industrial- What the fuck?
    Agalloch post metal-No, they barely use any of the typical techniques commonly found in post metal, like distaorted delay, long climactic chord pregressions.

Really when you compare the music of agalloch, to Isis or pelican, they arent even close to the same.

• Yeah, doesn't post-metal usually mean atmospheric sludge / post-sludge?

• Usuario
    • 7 Sep 2008, 16:05
    It's just your definition of the genre I'm working with here. It lumps Agalloch together with these bands, and you yourself, schizoid, pointed that it seems wrong. Good work.

• If the definition of the genre is metal with a post-rock influence, then yeah, they are. The elements of their sound are completely different than those exhibited in the rest of the genre though. I'm going to go no on this one, although Ashes is very much a post-rock influenced record. Dark Metal pretty much sums up Agalloch's sound beautifully.

• Usuario
    • 19 Sep 2008, 13:28

• HavikK escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Oct 2008, 18:44
    It's impossible really to genre Agalloch as they've changed genres on every release. While The White was mainly dark-ambient/neofolk, their earliest stuff was doom-influenced Black metal.

On top of the world, in a plastic ashtray. - SikTh
  • a hybrid of neofolk and doom-y black metal, but I guess there is no specific genre for that kind of music (yet)? :o neofolk metal? but anyways, definitely not post metal.

• Neofolk Doom works.

• Tobeman1 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Nov 2008, 21:46
    Doom Metal. With influences from BM... --> Blackened Doom Metal...?!?
    I don't know, but definetly not Post-Metal, in my discretion.

• Usuario
    • 29 Nov 2008, 5:16
    I'd lean towards Atmospheric Folk/Black metal... that's just me though.

• Tobeman1 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 29 Nov 2008, 23:28
    ja, that sounds appealing to me...

• HavikK ha detto:
    It's impossible really to genre Agalloch as they've changed genres on every release.

however...does genre Agalloch is so important? ;) I often see people waisting time catalogating bands in a specific genre, often inventing new genres..!!!...don't you think this is an action that is an end in itself? just...listen to music!

• Usuario
    • 9 Dic 2008, 20:38
    Agalloch are one of my favorite bands. I wouldn't say "post-metal" is an accurate label for them.

Although they did cover Sol Invictus's "Kneel To The Cross" I would hesitate to refer to them solely as neofolk either.

Perhaps Blackened-Neofolk-Doom-Forest-Nature-Metal? Argh. Labels.

Agalloch transcends!

• Folk metal and doom probably apply more, but I hate to let prefixes like post and progressive get pigeonholed into being one specific sound... that's very unprogressive. So sure, why not postmetal?

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.