Multi tag search

• Multi tag search

Of the three items that were included in the launch of the (public) playground, this was the best of the lot.

• MadCowDzz escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2008, 18:16
    I agree. This is a feature Last.fm has been missing for a long time!

• Hmm, Artist Name Variations seems irrelevant to me and Most Frequent Top 10 Tracks was definately interesting; it could be a good way to find popular new tracks.

But for me, Multi tag Search is the most useful of the bunch so far! I would love to see this functionality in the main search; it allows me to really hone in on the music I enjoy.

It seems a logical next step, make it live Last.fm!

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2008, 19:08
    I like Multi Tag Search very much too as implemented in the playground!

But i would suggest the following addition:

Imagine for example this kind of tag search:

jazz piano -swing

As result i want see all titles (or artists), that are tagged with "jazz" and "piano" and not "swing"!

How about this idea?

• E1i45 escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 13 May 2008, 19:23
    @akrde:

You might want to give it a try: jazz piano -swing

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2008, 19:35
    Wow, cool, it works! :-)

Was it already there or did you do this job that fast?

In any case, thank you...!!!

• klbostee escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 13 May 2008, 19:50
    @akrde: We're fast, but not that fast. It was already there... :)

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2008, 19:58
    Ok, then you should add it to the Multi Tag Search description so other curious users can try this feature too! ;-)

• Multi-tag is officially awesome. Having the "NOT" operator is the icing on the cake. Please Please Please incorporate multi-tag into the main last.fm site.

Like Minimal Techno? ---> You'll love High on Electronic Music
    Have diverse and non-mainstream taste in music? ---> See if you qualify for The 1 Percenters group....
    • l2OI3 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 May 2008, 23:36

holy $hit

finally! This is amazing, i remember wanting this for as long as i could remember('not' operator is ftw)!

• Greg_x7 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 14 May 2008, 9:16
    Great stuff. Just some convienient stuff like setting the number of results per page seems to be missing, but it's still WIP so no big deal :)

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds"
    • Tecfan escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 14 May 2008, 15:12
    Yea, I also love the "play all the artists in the last.fm software" button.. too bad those links only work 25% of the time.. Lately, I just copy the links and paste them into the software ...

seems like the last.fm doesn't respond every time

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
  • tecfan: might be your firewall, I've had the general issue of lastfm:// links not working (probably the firewall's problem).

I'll keep it short: this feature is AWESOME.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ze bunny! :O
    • Tecfan escribió...
    • Event Moderator
    • 14 May 2008, 19:39
    I don't have a firewall, and it works sometimes, so in that case my hidden firewall would suck

If you're into /, you might enjoy my (free) tracks: Tecfan
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 14 May 2008, 20:24
    Nice feature, should be from the beginning :)

• akrde escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 May 2008, 6:37
    Tecfan sagte:
    Yea, I also love the "play all the artists in the last.fm software" button..

But it plays only 30sec-Previews? I want it to play the found titles in Full-Length!

And it only plays the titles from one result page, not all found titles from all result pages!

==> The Multi Tag Search should result in a "Multi Tag Search Radio"!!!

• Xaxars escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 May 2008, 7:19

Rock Catala

Hi,

I like this new feature but for example when I'm searching "Rock Catala" (Catalan Rock) only displays the groups that have booth Tags Rock and Catala, but not the groups that has already the Tag "Rock Catala", should be nice if all the groups would be included in the list.

Thnks

• Pixieguts escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 May 2008, 10:04
    A question: what are the parmeters for 'up and coming'?

Reason I ask is that I am getting zero results very often on that one. Using otherwise identical search parameters, I am seeing lesser known artists (like myself) showing up on both 'free download' and 'popular' searches when nothing is coming up on 'up and coming'.

eg. try and artist search on "female vocalist" and techno for all three variables.

• E1i45 escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 15 May 2008, 12:46
    @Pixieguts:

The algorithm that selects up & coming artists/tracks has a filter built in that is rather strict about what it displays. It searches for artists and tracks that have a rather low number of listeners but at the same time seem to be attracting a lot of interest recently. The up & coming charts can change a lot from week to week.

Unfortunately we cant disclose in detail how it works as we've seen artists and labels attempt to game our recommendation engine in the past.

• But it plays only 30sec-Previews? I want it to play the found titles in Full-Length!

And it only plays the titles from one result page, not all found titles from all result pages!

That's a pretty good idea, it's probably not-done in cases of too few tags, tho (just like tagging one artist as 'dfjlguiaestsoi' and then playing that tag radio).

(\__/)

• tombom23 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 15 May 2008, 20:47
    Awesome. I've wanted this for ages. Really nice feature. Thanks!

• akrde said:
    Tecfan sagte:
    Yea, I also love the "play all the artists in the last.fm software" button..

But it plays only 30sec-Previews? I want it to play the found titles in Full-Length!

I second this - the multi tag search is awesome, but without a proper radio stream based on all the results it has limited use (for me at least). Also - playing the search result now leads to each track putting a new radio station in your software history - truly annoying.

• @above: you can find links to bands, then play their similar artists, or find their stuff online/in store, or you could just only pick free/streamable artists ;).

One feature I'd like is what I'd call percentage tag search, or at least a re-sort of the current top artists per tag.

Example: has Paris Hilton on top. Funny, but not quite the intention ;). My suggestion was, calculate the percentage per tag per artist, then use those as ratings.

Example:
    Cannibal Corpse gets 5000 tags for brutal death metal
    Paris Hilton gets 5000 tags for brutal death metal
    Cannibal Coprse has a total of 10.000 tags
    Paris Hilton has a total of 1.000.000 tags
    For cannibal corpse, brutal death metal would make up 5% of the total amount, while for Paris Hilton it would make up a mere .5%. Hence, the latter would never be on top.

Of course, issues arise when an artist has <100 tags (for example).
    Anyway, Imho this is a pretty interesting concept :).

(\__/)

• export search results as an ATOM feed (and better yet as XSPF ;-)

I think 'Multi Tag Search' is the niftiest feature of currently presented on Playground.

I only wish the search results could be exported, so that one could subscribe* to the feed.

*) let alone play such a radio in a XSPF compat. players

confusion will be my epitaph...
    • ozh escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 May 2008, 2:53

multi-tag radio

I would also like to see multi-tag radio. It should shuffle the results and play whole tracks. Then there would be no need for tags like "alternative rock" or "piano jazz" - tagging will become much more clean and precise.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.