The Library

• The Library

Individual matters here.Post your concerns on any subject.
    This is for
    Monachus monachus,the most endangered species in Europe.
    Info from
    Critically endangered.

Sea caves along remote cliff-bound coasts for resting and giving birth; originally congregated on open beaches and shoreline rocks. Feeds in coastal waters.

The main threats arrayed against the Mediterranean monk seal include: habitat deterioration and loss by coastal development, including disturbance by tourism and pleasure boating; deliberate killing by fishermen and fish farm operators, who consider the animal a pest that damages their nets and ‘steals’ their fish, particularly in depleted coastal fishing grounds; accidental entanglement in fishing gear leading to death by drowning; decreased food availability due to over-fishing pressures; so-called stochastic events, such as disease outbreaks.

The Mediterranean monk seal is particularly sensitive to human disturbance, with coastal development and tourism pressures driving the species to inhabit increasingly marginal and unsuitable habitat. In some pupping caves, pups are vulnerable to storm surges and may be washed away and drowned.

Unforeseen or stochastic events, such as disease epidemics, toxic algae or oil spills may also threaten the survival of the monk seal. In the summer of 1997, two thirds of the largest surviving population of Mediterranean monk seals were wiped out within the space of two months at Cabo Blanco (the Côte des Phoques) in the Western Sahara. While opinions on the precise causes of this epidemic remain sharply divided, the mass die-off emphasised the precarious status of a species already regarded as critically endangered throughout its range.

Concerning seal massacre in general, info from
    With the excuse that increase in their numbers is a threat to fishing,the Canadian government intends to kill 900000 seals within 3 years.According to IFAW,income in 2004 from the use of seal's fur and meat reached 11 million dollars.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • There is an excellent greek documentary (it won an award) about the Niger Delta and the oil companies that practically rule Nigeria,especially Shell.
    You can see it online,but there are a number of problems.First, the commentary is in greek,and I havent found a way to put subtitles(I have asked in the forum and I'm waiting for an answer). The dialogues are all in English of course,so the general idea is accessible. Second problem is that you have to understand african accent:).
    There are many documentaries,the one I am referring to is third from the end.The list is in the bottom of the page.

• 0x13 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Mar 2007, 11:31
    you'd better try this:
    how-to-destroy-the-earth guide

i don't get it, why do you need it so much?
    let's get rid of it!

C programmers never die. they just cast into void.
  • From group "Scrobblers Against Whaling"

Japanese Slaughter of Dolphins
    Please be warned that you may find the first link very disturbing and distressing...............having said that, it needs to be watched.

If you want to make your feelings known, then do what 300,000 + people have done (including me) and click the second link and sign the on line petition.

Once you have done so, you may feel you want to pass these links on to someone, I think as many people as possible should see this.

when I signed,signatures were almost 800.000

• greenpeace 'greece oposes whaling' campaign

A greenpeace member has started another campaign:

"The International Whaling Commission (IWC) will be meeting soon to decide the fate of the whales.

My country, Greece, is not yet a member of the Commission. But there are positive signs that the Greek Government might join and defend the whales!

Last year, the pro-whaling Japanese government won a simple majority resolution by one vote: 33 to 32.

Every single vote is crucial this year. We're continuing efforts to get Denmark to vote for the whales, but right now, it is very important to encourage Greece to join the IWC in time for the next annual meeting, in Alaska on May 31st.

As you can see, time is very short, we are only 60 days away from the meeting that will determine the future of whales.

You can help a lot to speed up this process. You just have to print a message to the Greek Government (you can download the message here), take a picture of yourself holding it, and then upload your picture as a comment to my I-GO campaign ID#6801.

It's very simple and fun to do! Please don't forget to add your country's name to the message. Your supporting action will show that the whole world cares about Greece joining the IWC to defend the whales.

The Greek text says "May 2007: Greece opposes whaling".

I will then print out the pictures and present them to the person in the Greek Government in Athens responsible for the IWC application. Click here and upload yours now!

The goal is to have as many pictures as possible, so invite all your friends!

Thanks a lot, and remember the whales are counting on your help!

Sofia Tsenikli
    Whale Defender
    Greenpeace Greece

P.S. Find out more about this campaign at our I-GO website, visit my I-GO Greenpeace Campaign at Click here now!

P.P.S. Remember we need the pictures as soon as possible, we are taking them to the Greek Government in the next days. Download the banner now! And post your picture as a comment, click here.

P.P.P.S. Tell all your friends to join!"

United agaist whaling!

• I have proudly added Captain Planet to the group connections:D

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.