• 26 May 2006, 18:52

Marijuana Smoke Does NOT Lead to Lung Cancer

Woo Hoo! One less thing to worry about!

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

By Marc Kaufman
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, May 26, 2006; A03

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin's previous work on marijuana to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes marijuana is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.

Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lighted up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

"This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about marijuana use," he said. "Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning."

Tashkin's group at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA had hypothesized that marijuana would raise the risk of cancer on the basis of earlier small human studies, lab studies of animals, and the fact that marijuana users inhale more deeply and generally hold smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers -- exposing them to the dangerous chemicals for a longer time. In addition, Tashkin said, previous studies found that marijuana tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.

While no association between marijuana smoking and cancer was found, the study findings, presented to the American Thoracic Society International Conference this week, did find a 20-fold increase in lung cancer among people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study was limited to people younger than 60 because those older than that were generally not exposed to marijuana in their youth, when it is most often tried.

• Hooray. Finally, I can come back at all those ignorant people that say smoking weed gives you cancer with something a little more solid than a shady weed website.

Thanks for letting us know :D

• [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Jun 2006, 14:23
    I guess the results are for marijuana-only smoking and do not include weed-tobacco-mixed-smokers...Maybe I ought to go pure hemp, then...although the cost increase boggles my mind *bites his lip*

• I made the switch to weed only several years ago, and I like it much better. Increased lung capacity, y'know?

• Re:

Quoth rochester92:
    I made the switch to weed only several years ago, and I like it much better. Increased lung capacity, y'know?

Nice. I wish I could afford it, but I just can't. Either that, or I'll have to invest in a good bong. Hmmm

• sweet

i'm very happy now :D

bring our minds together, press them tight
  • Is this the case for smokin blunts too??

• Usuario
    • 8 Ene 2007, 9:34
    I guess with blunts you have to worry more about tounge and lip cancer - direct contact to tobacco leaves being very unhealthy in that field

• Unwicked escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 13 Ene 2007, 5:26
    still marijuana's effects outweigh any benefits that u may think of

Messin' Wit Me Ain't Gunna Getchu No Where.. Only 6 Feet Deep Down In The Ground Somewhere..
    • Maruki escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 3 Mar 2007, 14:21
    Oooohh such a big burden had just fallen down my shoulders :)

Do androids Dream of Electric sheep ?
  • IF you believe that smoking weed does you no harm you are in cloud cuckoo land.

• Usuario
    • 1 Jun 2007, 14:55

but then again, so does whoever believes he has a right to go through life without being harmed by anything. If it didn`t hurt to live, how would we know it isn`t a dream?

• Usuario
    • 4 Jun 2007, 0:50
    I'm glad I have a nice shiny Volcano and don't have to bother smoking

• All the information for the health effects of Pot can be found on Wikipedia. It doesn't not only not cause cancer, but there are several studies that show it actually is helpful in preventing tumor growth. There are really no permanent or major damaging effects of smoking it, with the only truly negative effects basically regarding only comfort.

• Veinless escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 12 Nov 2008, 18:58
    Marijuana itself doesn't lead to cancer. But SMOKE, that you inhale does lead to cancer, as any other smoke. Tobbaco smoke, fire smoke, paper smoke, plastic smoke etc. Smoke itself contains many toxic materials, such as carbon monoxide. It doesn't really matter what you smoke, because ANY SMOKE causes lung disease.
    And yes, I do agree, that THC (the main marijuana component) stops the evolving of cancer cells, but the SMOKE of marijuana leads to cancer anyway.

• zyklonP escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 11 Feb 2009, 18:13
    Sweet. I feel good now.

• pawcut escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 10 Mar 2009, 13:53
    thanks veinless(lot of fairytales around here) any kind of smoke and especially burnt bluntpaper damages your lung. after 25 years of bong smoking (lots) i switched to the aromed vaporizer and that was the second best decision of my life. u just inhale steam and you get 90 perc. thc instead of 50-60 .

• urinol escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Abr 2009, 16:57

Editado por hjbardenhagen el 18 Ene 2011, 7:02
    • Usuario
    • 28 Jun 2009, 0:10
    Vaporizer is the way to go. Save up and get a good one too. You'll be wasting your money otherwise.

• uhmm..

I never died smoking weed ÇÇ

é isso!
  • "and even a suggestion of some protective effect"... Then to add to anti-glaucom, anti-stress, anti-parkinson (or alzheimer - I may confuse)...

I believe humulus lupulus resin to be more agressive...

• Recently posted on NORML.

Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Philadelphia, PA: The administration of the non-psychotropic plant cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) 'completely prevents' the onset of nerve pain associated with chemotherapy treatment, according to preclinical data published in the journal Anesthesia and Analgesia.

Investigators at Temple University assessed the effect of CBD in an animal model of on paclitaxel-induced allodynia (pain resulting from an otherwise innocuous stimulus).

"We found that cannabidiol completely prevented the onset of the neuropathic, or nerve pain caused by the chemo drug Paclitaxel, which is used to treat breast cancer," said the study's lead investigator.

Researchers concluded, "Our preliminary findings therefore indicate that cannabidiol may ... therefore be effective at preventing dose-limiting paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy in humans.

Cannabidiol has been previously shown to inhibit breast cancer metastasis in preclinical settings.

In 2010, a series of FDA-approved clinical trials concluded that inhaled cannabis significantly reduces neuropathy compared to placebo in human subjects. "There is good evidence now that cannabinoids may be either an adjunct or a first-line treatment for ... neuropathy," researchers concluded.

Dennis H.
    Publisher "Arizona Prescribed Patient Newsletter"
  • That's stupid. I smoke pot, and inhaling smoke is not good for your lungs.

• Smoking Marijuana Has Not Been Found To Cause Cancer.

1st, In response to ZOMBIESTEVEARG's above comment:

You are right. Inhaling any form of smoke can not be healthy, however there has not been one case reported, that I have found, where smoking marijuana has been the cause of any form of cancer.

Smoking marijuana for medicinal purposes does take effect much more quickly than any other method of ingestion. However it is not the best method for obtaining its full benefits. Vaporizing, eating, drinking and using cannabis oils are all more preferred methods for medical treatment. When you put flame to the cannabis, a lot of its medicinal quality's either go up in smoke or are chemically altered to the point where it has little to no medicinal benefit.

That being said, I would still choose to smoke cannabis over taking all the pills and injections offered with their health and addiction risks.

2nd, my new post:

The most widely known medical benefits of using cannabis have to be the pain killing quality's and it's ability to ease eye pressure in Glaucoma patients. What you don't hear a lot about is its ability to do things such as easing epilepsy, PTSD, RLS, MS, MD, ADD, ADHD, nausea, inflammatory bowel disease, migraines, neuropathy and even CURE CANCER. ( See the last paragraph below for more on cannabis and cancer )

Some of you are probably laughing at the notion that something like Pot could actually cure cancer. After all, that would be big news, right? Surely all the cancer research organizations would be all over it and every cancer patient would be getting treatment with it. I use to think that too.

Here are the problems with that notion. Cancer and health organizations have been trying to recreate the medicinal benefits of Cannabis for decades, with little success.

Simply search the term MARINOL. You will find the DEA's website as one result. The DEA Makes the statement that Medical Marijuana already exists in pill form. That, to me, is their way of saying that REAL MARIJUANA is unnecessary so just buy the pill.

On the DEA's own website they state:

" Medical marijuana already exists. It's called Marinol.

A pharmaceutical product, Marinol, is widely available through prescription.
    It comes in the form of a pill and is also being studied by researchers for
    suitability via other delivery methods, such as an inhaler or patch. The active
    ingredient of Marinol is synthetic THC, which has been found to relieve the
    nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy for cancer patients and
    to assist with loss of appetite with AIDS patients."

Here is a link to that page if you want to read it for yourself: ( if the link isn't working, simply copy & paste the link into your browser.)

The reported problems with Marinol are:
    It does not take effect as quickly as cannabis.
    It does not ease symptoms as well as cannabis.
    It's very expensive.
    and It does not have the same curing ability of cannabis.

They are still working to come up with a synthetic that has the same medicinal quality of cannabis but not the psychosomatic effects (the high) associated with the ingestion of real cannabis.

So why is it so tough for them to recreate all the medicinal effects?

Real cannabis has over 400 different naturally occurring chemicals. The scientists who are working to recreate cannabis are running into problems getting the right combination to achieve their goal. It is looking more and more like natural THC, (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or Δ9-THC), may play a major roll and must have a quality not found in the synthetic version.

Why would they waste all the time and spend all the money tiring to recreate something that grows in the wild like...well, A WEED?

It is easy to put the entire blame on governmental stubbornness, big pharma and old school thinking, that IS part of it, but the fact of the matter is there is a UN rule against any member country from allowing cannabis use for it's citizens. The United States Government is a major backer of this regulation and quickly persuades any country who even mentions the possibility of even limited legalization, to reject the notion.

The legalization of cannabis in any country, even for simple honest research, would open a global can of worms and would have detrimental financial effects for many world wide industries. The fuel, medical, textile, alcohol and paper industries would all be changed forever or even become obsolete. The money and employment currently generated by these industries would suffer devastating blows. After all, most people globally have the skills to grow a WEED and would not need to spend as much on the above mentioned services.

Now as for the possibility of cannabis curing cancer. There is much to find on the internet about this subject so if you are interrested in learning more, simply search for Marijuana & Cancer. Or you can start by watching this video. If the video does not work please go to and enter RICK SIMPSON RUN FROM THE CURE.

Would you like to actually see Cannabis causing cancer cells to die?

The following video is only 2 minutes and 33 seconds.

The last scene in the video is footage from a laboratory microscope. It shows a split screen of cancer cells. The cells on the left are normal cancer activity while the cells on the right are cells self destructing after Cannabis is introduced.[youtube][/youtube]

Thank you for reading.

Dennis H.
    Editado por WhatsMedicalMJ el 10 May 2012, 2:11

• Dennis H.
Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.