First Time You Heard Bjork

• First Time You Heard Bjork

Ok, this one is coming straight from my thread that seemed to be an interesting one in the Pink Floyd forum. Well, I ask you, when was the first time you listened to Bjork, or maybe even when she first really connected with you. But I am curious, the answers in the Floyd forum were very deep, and I think we all love telling our 'I first listened to Bjork and it was all odd and then...' stories. Maybe you could share some successful (or not so) conversion stories.

Mine involved a girlfriend in the time, and I bought the CD with her suggestion, then driving home in the car playing it in the stereo with her singing along to hyper-ballad and its oh so quiet, and me staring at her, interested completely to how connected she was to this....noise. I got Post home, listened to it 3 times over and over, and it clicked. Lovely feeling.

• Fonzolo escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Oct 2006, 8:52
    I live in a small town in Italy (Ascoli Piceno) and when I was child a music festival came here. It was Festivalbar: a really pop/mass/clichè festival... In that period Bjork was in the charts with Big Time Sensuality cause this song was very trendy so she came here!!! I've seen this show on tv and I remember that she dressed the usual long red dress (video of Bachelorette) with jeans and a pair of ski boots (!!!!).

This was the first time I heard of her: maybe a month lately I fell in love with Violently happy, even if I became a real lover of the artist thanks to the album Homogenic.

• Alkuaine escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 4 Oct 2006, 17:03
    One day I saw her "Oceania" video clip on TV and I... fell in love with it.
    I thought, that's amazing!
    Few days later I downloaded her songs "Joga", "Harm of will", "Cocoon", Pagan Poetry" and "Aurora" and I totally lost my mind. I bought her CD "Vespertine"...
    and so on. :)

\m/
    • Bijoruku escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 5 Oct 2006, 14:47
    This was in October 2005:
    I was looking on MTV and I saw that a music video called "Triumph of a Heart" by Björk. And I thought for myself "hey, that Björk... People have said that she is strange...".But I got interested and looked on why she is strange. At the end of the music-video I was in love! The next day I borrowed Medúlla and I was stuck with it!
    Pretty strange actually to fall in love with Medúlla as a first album to listen to!

Then I listened to Homogenic and I really liked that one! The rest is history...

• When the video for Human Behaviour was released. When was it? Nineteen-ninety-something.
    I still love the video.

"No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record."
  • i had listened to her here and there for a while,
    but then i discovered "cocoon", a track that i had previously skipped and ignored, and fell in love. i've listened to more bjork than any other artist since then. and it's been a while.

My friends call me teddy, but you can call me bear.
    • [Usuario eliminado] escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Oct 2006, 10:02
    i've seen her first in 'hit' video with sugarcubes in 1992 and fallen in love wih her, in each album of her, this love renews itself...

• 4ceRimmer escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 6 Oct 2006, 22:48
    Hidden Place. About 4 yrs ago, i saw that video on tv and it was amazing... honestly, i didnt understand it at all that time:D, but i was really fascinating:)

• Kanzen escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 7 Oct 2006, 18:20
    The first time I heard Bjork was about a year ago. I didn't like her at first. She was loud and screechy and I couldn't understand why people liked her. Then I listened to "All Is Full Of Love" and it was like a little light switch came on in my head, and I was hooked. I now love just about everything I hear from her. She's great.

• The first time I heard Bjork was a couple of weeks ago. From you, Razarelie, in case you've forgotten. Heh. xP Well, to be honest, I wasn't all that interested initially. But then.... "Generous Palmstroke" came along, thanks to you again, and voila! It's like... magic. -shifty eyes- ^^

Oh, Razarelie, remember to bring your album over to Melbourne or I'll seriously do something to you. Heh.

• It would be around 1995, the Post album, It was a gift from my cousin, and I felt a deep connection with her music, for me it's really inspiring while I'm drawing( that's an everyday activity for an ilustrator). I related her songs with experiences in my short life, and I have cried, laugh, and smiled with björk ever since.

I love her!

greetings to you all!

• montia escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Oct 2006, 8:47
    my dad used to play hit over and over. i remember the first time i saw human behavior on mtv, i was about 6 or so and the video scared me.

So, so happy \ When happiness spells misery
    • Usuario
    • 9 Oct 2006, 23:57

Because Eumir Deodato...

I think that my first "Bjork experience" happen because Eumir Deodato (a brazilian musician) made all the strings arrangements to the Homogenic album and through him...
    He also work wuth Milton Nascimento, one of the brazilian artists that Bjork like (as you can see in her site).

• Seamus_pl escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2006, 18:51
    My first time when I heard Bjork? I remember that clearly. Few years ago I watched a music video called: "Army of my". It was so good that I started to search another clips. Next was "All is full of love". Amaizing feeling.

• Usuario
    • 18 Oct 2006, 23:47

hmm

The first time my ears ever got the plesure of Björks fantastic voice was when I was a little kid, my father bought "Debut" I was like 4 or 5 years old.

• oh yes.

The first time I heard bjork was when I was like 13 years old and my sister had bought debut. I remember thinking that it was weird but really cool. I have been a bjork fan ever since. I also just saw Dancer in the Dark for the first time and I loved it. I've seen it all w/Thom Yorke is now one of my favourite songs.

• asdfadag escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Nov 2006, 16:59
    Alkuaine said:
    One day I saw her "Oceania" video clip on TV and I... fell in love with it.
    I thought, that's amazing!
    Few days later I downloaded her songs...
    haha, exactly! same like me! :) I think, it was after Olympics '04

• qgil escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 19 Nov 2006, 23:59

Birthday - Sugarcubes

In the late 80s, a friend had published a book in which each chapter started with a mention to a music group. The Sugarcubes was mentioned a couple of times and I asked him about. He said 'Icelandic group (!) with incredible female voice', and passed me on a CD. When I heard Birthday I felt like discovering a new dimension of human voice (or something).

• Well...

The first time I heard her was at the Oscars when she wore the swan dress. I didn't like her. At all. I later found out she is a better musician.

• Bluekitty escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 20 Nov 2006, 22:20

Nice question...

... I remember it like it was a few minutes ago :)

It was on a freaky sylvester. I went there with friend of mine, knowing almost no one and it kinda was my first real party I´ve ever been too... It was so exciting and really crazy... and they had this strange but great loud music... and suddenly I heard a female voice singing and I thought right that moment "could that be björk? That sounds sooooo cool". I never ever heard her before. Just seen her in a lil tv spot and read an article about her. I found out it really was her three weeks later, when I first hook up with the guy who threw that party... Now it´s almost 8 years later and we still love each other and we still both love Björk ^.^

"You don´t have to sleep to see nightmares..." (Anne Clark)

The first time I heard Bjork was when I was 11 years old (1993). My oldest brother had bought her Debut album and told me I'd like Bjork because she was so wacky and weird like me lol. I feel in love with Venus As A Boy. I later heard her sing Birthday on the Sucarcubes and I've been hooked on Bjork ever since!

Marites
    aka
    Munchkin
  • A friend lent me a CD she had burnt for herslef and it had this weird song called It's Oh So Quiet. I thought 'Hmmm, interesting!'. Then my ex lent me Debut and I was hooked :).

• HageHUN escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 21 Nov 2006, 23:48
    The very first time was about 4 or 5 years ago, when i saw the Dancer in the night film's "I've seen it all" song on the MTV. It was really touching.

"One step forward, two steps back"
    • arums escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Nov 2006, 0:34

first time...

i was on 1st year at university in Turin. on saturday afternoon some friends from university had this special radio program at the only free radio in the city (some things never change) - called Radio Blackout -.
    Well, that afternoon, while i was lying bored of books, in my bed, they played three great songs, which i could say changed my life, someway. They were: Portishead - glory box, Diamanda Galas - skotoseme (or some other song from The sportin life) and Bjork's play dead.
    next week end i came back to my home city and had a saturday afternoon in the centre. There, in a little shop i saw Galas' sporting life and Bjork's debut for just 5.000 lire (2,5 euros... for such a treasure!) so i bought both cds.
    that winter: 1994-1995 was one of the greatest i ever lived, thanks to that music too...

Un jour j'ai assis la beauté sur mes genoux et je l'ai trouvée amère et je l'ai injuriée.
    • bupples escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Nov 2006, 1:30
    I saw the Hit video by the Sucarcubes when MTV had the 120 Minutes show. I got hooked instantly, ever since.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.