How to Ignore Folders/Artists/Albums in new Beta (Mac)?

• How to Ignore Folders/Artists/Albums in new Beta (Mac)?

How do I make the new Beta ignore certain files and folders?

This is especially important for those of us who use our machines to make music and don't want every version of our un-mixed, un-mastered, upcoming tracks to be scrobbled publicly.

• Anyone figure out how to do this on the Beta yet?

• pcm76 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 18 Dic 2012, 6:00
    +1

I guess there is no solution by now (same problem on windows client)... but I desperately want this feature to come back as well for the exact reason you outlined above, plus if you get dubs from friends or whatever.

music is the certain kind of sound you hear inside yourself when you close your eyes.
    • eartle escribió...
    • Alumni
    • 18 Dic 2012, 12:37
    Hey guys.

This feature hasn't been implemented. It was thought that the main reason for disabling certain folders was to disable scrobbling podcasts, but I can see that your use case is valid too.

There have been some issues with this in the past, like in the old client on Windows which no longer knows the file location of the track you are playing (we had a hack to find it out which stopped working) so this just doesn't work at all. Now we have iTunes match, you may not have the file on your machine either.

I'm interested in adding this feature in a simpler way than it was done before. Disabling folders and maybe particular artist names. We'll see.

Was the Last.fm Client Team - @eartle
    See also:
    Mobbler: the Last.fm radio player and scrobbler for Nokia/Symbian.
    Setlist Scrobbler: scrobble the Setlist.fm setlists for your Last.fm attended events.
  • Yes, please do! The beta looks and feels better than the older one, but of course being a beta, I see that much work is to be done. Please please PLEASE implement this feature.

Could we possibly extend this to ignoring certain individual files within folders? As in, one MP3 but not another if we choose?

• Addendum

Perhaps a more simplified algorithm. Maybe, "If the Artist field contains this:" and what follows is a scrolling list of artists you've blacklisted.

For example, if I didn't want to scrobble KMFDM (I have a couple of their songs, but only a couple), but I did want to scrobble Kasz & Beal from the same album, I wouldn't have to avoid listening to KMFDM or shut the scrobbler off when I did or something like that. Instead, I could put them on that list. That way we won't have to worry about "folders" (which admittedly is a very bulky process on the current scrobbler). This may also allow less technically-inclined people to use the scrobbler with fewer difficulties. It certainly seems way more straightforward to me.

• Exclude folders from scrobbling with winamp / windows

I'd really like to get that feature back. I am fine with scrobbling music from my library (folder). But I'd rather not scrobble all those sound clips, interviews, videos, etc. that I listen to for professional or personal reasons.

From my point of view the folder based exclusion and inclusion was a rather important privacy feature.

|\___/}
    \ ò ó /
    \ /
    \^/
    • Arthurrr escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Ene 2013, 14:01
    Hope you implement it again. Otherwise the new client is way better than before (apart from RAM usage).

• ralfmdx escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Ene 2013, 21:34

uninstalles last.fm

besides some other issues this was the main reason to UNINSTALL last.fm

iplay in some bands and i listen to practice tracks dozens of times in a row to write lyrics or change the arrangements

now this is fucking up everything

brin that feature back. asap.

until then - no last.fm for me

eartle said:
    Hey guys.

This feature hasn't been implemented. It was thought that the main reason for disabling certain folders was to disable scrobbling podcasts, but I can see that your use case is valid too.

There have been some issues with this in the past, like in the old client on Windows which no longer knows the file location of the track you are playing (we had a hack to find it out which stopped working) so this just doesn't work at all. Now we have iTunes match, you may not have the file on your machine either.

I'm interested in adding this feature in a simpler way than it was done before. Disabling folders and maybe particular artist names. We'll see.

"Patria est, ubicumque est bene [ Ubi Bene, Ibi Patria ]"
    • Bloopy escribió...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 16 Ene 2013, 22:47
    I can understand wanting to listen to a mixture of artists you do and don't want to scrobble.

If you're in a band, why not remove either the artist or title from tags? Especially if you're sending tracks to other band members who are not careful with scrobbling. You could also untick 'Enable Scrobbling' while you're working on your music, or play tracks in a different program with no scrobbling plugin.

• Wurunzimu escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 17 Ene 2013, 14:50
    I need it too because I don't want to scrobble audiobooks I listen to.

• the old client could scrobble itunes. You just needed to add ALL the folder itunes was intalled to (including %appdata% folder).

I find it funny how the last fm plugin couldnt detect file location when AmIP plugin (for itunes) does?
    Latest iTunes and latest AmIP plugin still works

• k8inorbit escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 22 Ene 2013, 1:04
    Just wanted to add my vote in encouraging last.fm to bring this feature back. It's not just a matter of occasionally turning scrobbling on/off or blocking a specific artist in my case. I listen to audio files on both my computer and on other devices that I don't want to scrobble on a daily basis. I have my playlists and folders configured so that I can always listen without scrobbling these tracks. Having the ability to set the Scrobbler to ignore particular folders on my computer was part of what made it usable for me.

I've only just updated to the new Scrobbler, but it looks like now, any time my devices connect and attempt to sync, I'll need to search through a massive list of tracks and select/deselect what I do and don't want to scrobble one by one. Prior to this, the old Scrobbler knew what to screen and didn't ask me about those tracks. The old screening option also gave me similar ease of use when listening to tracks on my computer.

Ultimately, I'm going to test out the new Scrobbler for a few days and give things a try. However, I'm concerned that the new version is not going to be workable for me in the long run.

• onno escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 23 Ene 2013, 12:52
    this would be great to filter out all the bad stuff my kids listen to ;-)

" they said the classics never go out of style, but they do, they do "
    • vanzer75 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Ene 2013, 14:37
    Please, while you think about this, could you allow the access to the ancient client? I wish return to that version while this option in no available.
    thanks.

Vanzer
    • ARRG escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 24 Ene 2013, 19:21
    Add my vote for this feature.

I downgraded back to 1.5.x for the time being, this is an essential feature for me, and I'd stop using last.fm altogether rather than not having it.

Too bad because otherwise the new application looks really nice !

• vanzer75 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 27 Ene 2013, 17:11
    OK! I'm using again 1.5.x version.!
    I'll be alert, waiting for changes in the new version
    ;)

Vanzer
  • Re: uninstalles last.fm

ralfmdx said:
    iplay in some bands and i listen to practice tracks dozens of times in a row to write lyrics or change the arrangements

Same with me. I always used to exclude my audio working folders from scrobbling for this reason. Having to manually turn it off and on again is quite annoying, I don't want to do that.

• Yep, this was the first thing I looked for in the beta and, unable to find it, I've abandoned scrobbler more or less as I don't want audiobooks/stuff other people play on my iTunes on my profile. This was a very important feature for me, hope something gets sorted soon please.

• armin19 escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 1 Feb 2013, 23:41
    agreed, gimme gimme, need this feature back

• MeTuLHeD escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 9 Feb 2013, 0:06
    Yup. Just uninstalled Audioscrobbler client and WinAmp plugin. No more Last.FM for me until this feature is brought back.

• Need this feature too, thank you guys.

• I like that the new scrobbler has an option to simply check a box to not scrobble podcasts in iTunes. I could never figure out how to accomplish that in the previous version.

However, I would love another box to check: don't scrobble audiobooks.

Thanks.

• bradmatic escribió...
    • Usuario
    • 16 Feb 2013, 20:21
    +1 Essential feature. Needs to be brought back soon.

Los usuarios anónimos no pueden escribir mensajes. Para participar en los foros inicia sesión o crea una cuenta.