3. Mär. 2015, 13:40 von dlouhebidlo
17. Okt. 2011, 0:10 von AlanRantahttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JBlG5cVkHik/TkLTNP11XrI/AAAAAAAAAIA/1PuZhmKs72A/s400/sham.jpg
CBC Electronic is still a fledgling branch of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. I cannot stress enough how important support by this country's electronic music aficionados is to the success of this thing. Far too many Canadian electronic musicians are forced to leave the country for Europe and the UK just to make a go of it.
In order to stop this brain-drain, it's up to us to keep pushing the scene in Canada, to make it viable for artists to get the work and recognition they deserve at home. To this aim, I have compiled a 'work in progress' list of all the best electronic leaning artists Canada has yet seen. Enjoy!
FYI: The list is ordered first name first, for sake of ease, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (just comment or PM me).
Aaron Funk (Venetian Snares, Last Step)
17. Mär. 2011, 18:46 von madeofclayBetween these two, I have a sizable chunk of my plays. Let's take a look at the numbers today:
Key (and friends):
cEVIN Key (263 plays)
Skinny Puppy (1,136 plays)
Doubting Thomas (216 plays)
= 1615 plays
Western (and friends):
Phil Western (595 plays)
Beehatch (665 plays)
Floatpoint (131 plays)
the two together:
PlatEAU (834 plays)
Download (1,649 plays)
= 2483 plays
For a total of 5489 plays, which is about 7.2% of my total plays over the past 5 years. Pretty huge.
Out all of the albums that are part of that total, my favourites are Download's "III," Skinny Puppy's "Ain't It Dead Yet?," and Phil Western's "Worlds End."
23. Jun. 2010, 2:38 von ShadowcastMethuselah - A Great Leap In The Dark
8-track full length album now available for FREE download as 320 mp3s, VBR, or FLAC
Methuselah is the collaboration of Adam Wetterhan (Sun Thief, Shadowclast) and Luke Knight (We Were Ravens, Apollo) of Columbus, Ohio. The album was conceived through many late-night "noise jams", the two artists each with their own set up, improvising abstract electronic pulses and drones to an agreed key and tempo. Hours of recordings were compiled, examined, edited and finally structured into finished songs. These "songs" were then woven together and finely tuned to create the post-industrial drone-noise-ambient-glitch tapestry that is "A Great Leap In The Dark".
Knight is currently pursuing a degree in Music Technology from Capital University, Wetterhan is currently pursuing degrees in Philosophy and Religion also from Capital University. …
31. Jan. 2010, 3:28 von thevampiresballOriginally posted on the show's blog at http://thevampiresball.blogspot.com.
cEvin Key & Ken Marshall
From The Dragon Experience [2003, Subconscious Communications]:
From The Eyes of Stanley Pain [1996, Subconscious Communications/Nettwerk]:
The Turin Cloud
From Scatterface [2009, Synthetic Sounds]:
Box of Monsters
Landscape Body Machine
From Revolution [2002, Interdimensional Industries]:
Revolution (Repliderium Mix by Urceus Exit)
From The escapist [1998, Map Music]:
Sun Is Round
From Demonstration [1997, 20rm Records]:
Communicating @ 28.8
Clouds On Ground/2DW
http://playlist.citr.ca/podcasting/audio/20100130-001033-to-20100130-022228.mp3]Podcast part 1 for the Vampire's Ball, January 30, 2010.
15. Aug. 2009, 22:35 von ShamanaviShamanavi / Ivan Silva will be spinning a Progressive House & Psychedelic Trance set @ 11pm before Phil Western (from Download, Plateau, Kone, Frozen Rabbit, Beehatch, Off And Gone, Skinny Puppy, etc…) performs an Experimental Electronic & Minimal Techno set until 2am - 21+ ONLY $10 - This place is laid-back luxury, an ultra-hip loft party that doesn’t require a personal invite. With a downtempo focus on the dance floor, it’s a place for the in-crowd to strut their stuff. The interior of darkroom plays on its theme, with contrasting red and black elements. Walls are painted blood red and back plush black leather couches, perfect for chatting with friends, escaping the crowd, or admiring well-displayed photos from local artists. A sleek glass bar covers the middle of the floor, inlaid with photographs and glowing with white light. A small dance floor with adjoining DJ booth occupies one corner, providing some space to shimmy. Finally, a private little perch of a booth is located next to the entrance. …
11. Nov. 2008, 20:15 von obsequiousIn further Skinny Puppy related news, a new album has been released by collaborators of Skinny Puppy musician cEVIN Key, titled Beehatch. “Brood” is the second album by Beehatch, a term that Urban Dictionary tells me is a disrespectful slur aimed at a woman and her vagina. I suspect largely because it sounds like Too Short’s “Beeyotch”, but I’ve never heard “beehatch” used by an actual human being before. What ever the case, Beehatch is comprised of Download veterans Mark Spybey and Phil Western. The first Beehatch album never made it on my radar, which is unfortunate since I have always been a big fan of Mark Spybey’s work. “Brood” certainly has Spybey written all over it, with otherworldly sonic experimentations entwined with the occasional vocal track and some minimal techno electronic work.
For anyone unfamiliar with Mark Spybey, he was a member of the Skinny Puppy side project Download, which released its first album “Furnace” in 1995. …
27. Sep. 2008, 4:01 von madeofclay1 Kings of Leon - Knocked Up
2 The Muslims - Walkin' with Jesus
3 David Byrne and Brian Eno - Strange Overtones
4 David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
5 Severed Heads - Big Blue is Back
6 Eels - I Like Birds
7 The Cure - Out of This World
8 Goo Goo Dolls - Black Balloon
9 mr gnome - Night of the Crickets
10 Vast - Pretty When You Cry
11 Blonde Redhead - Distilled
12 Matt Mays and El Torpedo - Tall Trees
13 Christina Martin - You Come Home
14 Chad VanGaalen - Molten Light
15 Phil Western - Where
16 Bon Iver - Flume
17 Red House Painters - Medicine Bottle
17. Mai. 2008, 6:06 von onetruetextbeakhttp://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/textbeak/mypictr_240x240.jpg
ph018 claus muzak - reuptake inhibitor
At last, the remixes of claus muzak's Purpose Tremor EP! Features exclusive mixes from Unterm Rad (tympanik), Phil Western (Download, Skinny Puppy, Subconscious Communications), Ajello (Mantra Vibes), Textbeak (Lasergun, philtre), and Bioni Samp (32 Bit, philtre). All tracks were mastered by Adam Boose of Cauliflower Audio, and they sound huge! Get a free taste at last.fm,
and when your ears heal grab the whole release from Kompakt.
6. Mai. 2008, 3:13 von TeleviperIt's interesting how much I've cut down lately. My last trip to the shop scored me only 2 CDs and a copy of the Godard classic Alphaville. If you haven't seen this move you should. My introduction to it was through a performance by Scanner who did a remix of the movie with his own soundtrack. The movie is possibly more bizarre in it's straight.
Kone - Cirrhotic Psychotic
Kone was the artist named tagged to a wild track called Betlepia on the Subconscious Communications sampler Paradigm Shift. At the time I really yearned to hear more of that flavour of Industrial-Techno or however you would tag it. Kone is the solo techno only project of Phil Western. You may recognize him as a member of Download, Plateau, Philth, and all around background contributer to Skinny Puppy. I love this album. It's warm and edgy, with a wooshing, grooving, and moving beat. It has echoes of Phil's solo work Download, and Plateau.
Float Point - Beam Error