27. Jan. 2011, 21:23 von KindOfDude
10. Mai. 2009, 18:27 von enfysmwngFirst, make a list of your top-20 artists overall. Then, for each of these artists, add the 8 most similar artists to your list. Delete any duplicates, count up the number of entries on your list and this will give you some idea of how eclectic your listening habits are. A score of 9 represents an extremely unvaried musical taste while a 160 represents an extremely varied one.
1. Super Furry Animals
2. Snow Patrol
3. of Montreal
4. Death Cab for Cutie
7. Does It Offend You, Yeah?
9. Animal Collective
11. Mindless Self Indulgence
13. Nine Inch Nails
15. Flight of the Conchords
16. The Mars Volta
17. Neon Neon
20. Fad Gadget
1. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
2. Euros Childs
3. Ffa Coffi Pawb
4. The Aliens
6. The Beta Band
7. The Fray
9. The Reindeer Section
13. The Killers
29. Dez. 2007, 23:43 von lovejoy23I don't believe it. I was going to wade in here, all guns blazing with "2007 has been a POOR year for music". As is custom I go back and read the previous year's entry before embarking on the new yearly entry, (which I have been looking forward to writing this year, it almost became 2 posts this year in fact, but more of that later) and to my shock I now realise that all of my prayers were answered from last year. Maybe someone actually reads this stuff, although the site stats would suggest otherwise.
Well, my first wish was for a full length album from Future of the Left and lo and behold, their first album release Curses appears like a baseball bat to the back of the head. I've been running hot and cold with it the past few months. At one listen it's McLusky at their most ugly, twisted and threatening and on another it's childish, humourless and lacking in the addictiveness that mclusky managed to create with a lot of their hooks. …
27. Nov. 2007, 17:51 von distractedkI stole the idea from The_Derm :-) in case he's wondering!
I've been meaning to do this for ages but have only just got round to finishing it off in any spare time I get.
So, here's a list of bands I've seen from April 1986 (Twisted Sister) to 9 November 2009 (Motorhead and Sweet Savage).
458 and counting...
I'm pretty sure there are loads more I've forgotten but I'll update it as and when I remember.
Anything with an asterisk are bands I've seen more than once. I think Nick Cave (solo and with his Bad Seeds) is at the top with ten combined gigs.
Not that anyone cares...it's just me being anal ;-)
50 Foot Wave
65 days of static
Albert Hammond, Jr.
Almighty Do Me A Favor
A Plastic Rose
Archie Bronson Outfit
Architecture in Helsinki
Babes in Toyland
Back To The Planet
25. Sep. 2007, 5:46 von ffarffGruff Rhys surely is a God. Everything he touches is brilliant.
I got into him via Super Furry Animals, as most people do. The first SFA album i bought was Rings Around the World as it was cheaper than Fuzzy Logic. Then i started collecting the others in the back catalogue
I havent managed to get a copy of Phantom Power and i havent heard anything off Love Kraft or the new one Hey Venus.
But Gruff Rhys's solo stuff? Its just as good. It's more mellow than SFA. On first listen i didnt like the track Candylion but its in my head all the time and ive warmed to it. Gyrru Gyrru Gyrruon the other hand was instant love
And today im downloading some Ffa Coffi Pawb. I immediately loved
Lluchia Dy Fflachlwch Drosda I.
I think i Mwng as my favourite album and Ymaelodi Â'r Ymylon as my favourite track from it.
The thing with Gruff Rhys is he can write a beautiful ballad as well as a song about a dog or a hamster or chewing gum.
He could sing the fine print in a legally binding contract for all i care, he has a great voice.
16. Apr. 2007, 4:10 von tastystuff1I guess I will just do this because I am bored and want to know whether anyone will actually read this post, so here goes:
Listed are my top 200 artists, each broken (randomly) into groups of Eight. Vote for your top 2 in each category, and once I have enough votes, the game will go to a new round. And if you don't know any of the bands, just choose the one with the coolest name.
VOTING HAS NOW CLOSED
If you would like, vote on the next round.
Neutral Milk Hotel
We Are Scientists
The Polyphonic Spree
Yo La Tengo
The Go Find
The Dismemberment Plan
Shout Out Louds
The Mars Volta
Rage Against the Machine
15. Mai. 2006, 22:14 von RocketShipX41Gruff Rhys - Yr Atal Genhedlaeth (2004)
These Super Furry Animals-related things keep dropping into my lap...
A few weeks ago I came across Ffa Coffi Pawb in a used CD store, and this weekend it was the solo album by Gruff Rhys. In neither case was I actually searching for what I found, which is one of the reasons I like going to stores with large selections of used items. FWIW, the first incident was at the Easy Street West Seattle Store, and this one was at Everyday Music's Sandy Blvd store in Portland, Oregon.
Yr Atal Genhedlaeth is another solid work in this little subgenre of modern Welsh psychedelia. It's obviously the work of a single person, with his voice overdubbed for the backing vocals and drum machine rhythm parts. But the machines are well used, not annoying, and the guitar and voice are both excellent. All the lyrics (and nearly all the credits) are in Welsh. There are a couple cuts of electronic expermintation, but they come off as human and psych-ish, not cold and digital. …
12. Apr. 2006, 20:30 von RocketShipX41Ffa Coffi Pawb - Am Byth
This is a compilation of tracks by the Super Furry Animals/Gorky's Zygotic Mynci precursor/side project recorded from 1986-92. It's safe to say that fans of either of those two main bands would enjoy this - same fun stuff. All the lyrics are in Welsh, which lends an automatic other-worldly sound to all us non-Welsh-speaking listeners.
19. Feb. 2006, 7:50 von juanboyAll Yesterday's Parties
KZUU 90.7 FM
Playlist for 02/16/06
8:03Belle and Sebastian--the life pursuit--act of the apostle
8:05Os Mutantes--a divina comedia--jogo de calcada
8:09Devo--greatest hits--gates of steel
8:12The Fall--this nation's saving grace--my new house
8:17Four Tet--everything ecstatic--a joy
8:20Love--forever changes--the daily planet
8:27Deerhoof--reveille--top tim rubies
8:28The Action--rolled gold--brain
8:32The Bangles--children of nuggets: disc 1--real world
8:34Ffa Coffi Pawb--am byth--breichau hir
8:37The Raincoats--s/t--fairytale in the supermarket
8:54The Creation--how does it feel to feel?--how does it feel to feel?
8:59The Beta Band--the 3 EPs--dr. baker
9:03Brendan Benson--one mississippi--crosseyed
9:07Built to Spill--you in reverse--the wait
9:12Lambchop--thriller--hey, where's your girl?