Resistance Talk

• Resistance Talk

So, now when its finally here - we can brainstorm our ideas about its superiorness, greatness and all the important stuff.

Personally, I very much agree with the way Muse is progressing and can't wait for what's going to be next. Once again.

Favs.: MK Ultra, Undisclosed Desires, Exo Pt2 and USoE

• annyz schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Sep. 2009, 22:26
    I love how they're progressing too. I prefer this more than BHaR, but that's maybe because it's new :) Who knows, but I know I like a lot.

My favs are Resistance, Unnatural Selection and Exogenesis all parts. I love MK Ultra and I belong to you a lot too. The others are okay :)

I think it has all the elements from Absolution and BHAR that make Muse great, plus a little bit of overall progression. It's not exactly a giant leap or anything like that, but again they used all their strengths and used them to make what in my opinion is their most fully fleshed out records.

My favs so far are Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, Guiding Light, and I belong to You

• Duplode schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Sep. 2009, 3:33

First listen impressions...!

So I finally got my copy ^_^ After the first listen, I think it is about level with Absolution. In my personal scale of comparison, this is a step below both Origin of Symmetry and BHaR. In fact, that's probably because The Resistance relates to BHaR in a similar way to how Absolution did with OoS. Both OoS and BHaR were very expansive, sprawling albums in which they attempted all sorts of things, and both of the follow-ups had Muse focusing in an specific direction they experimented with in the previous album(s), refining the sonority and giving it an overall more "serious" feel. So far I seem to be more attracted by the even-numbered albums than by the odd-numbered ones, but that does not change the fact they are progressing with their sound on each release - and sets me awaiting #6 already =)

On to song specifics, my main issue with the album is that many of the more conventional songs do not work so well, and Matt's singing and lyrics occasionally gets a little overbearing in them. Uprising is a hell of a blast for an album opener, for sure, even if it is a bit of a false start like Take a Bow was in BHaR (not to mention it never approaches the epicness of that song, but anyway). Unnatural Selection is good, but it displays clearly its genes from of New Born and Citizen Erased. Obviously that is not a problem in itself (both New Born and Citizen Erased are among my favourite songs from this whole decade), but while it is musically more refined than both, it is just not as powerful as either. As for Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, Guiding Light or MK Ultra, I could do without any of them, at least on a first-listen basis.

But of course all of that can be forgiven due to their boldness their pulling off in doing something like Exogenesis. It does seem Matt takes the classical pretensions seriously, and since there seems to be ample room for further exploring that direction I wonder where that road will lead to in the future. Speaking of classical, the excerpts and interplays in United States of Eurasia are brilliant, and help to get them to a whole other level in political anthems. I Belong to You is great too - they didn't have a song as refreshing as this maybe since the Feeling Good cover all those years ago.

These three "songs" (or pieces, if you prefer) add up to roughly half the album, which is about the amount of stuff I really loved in Absolution. I'm not complaining, however - I do not expect my favourite bands to hit the bullseye every time, as long as they continue evolving and pushing their creative limits. And getting to see United States of Eurasia live would be ecstatic - even for a South American guy like myself!

• USoE doesn't sound bad. Just don't want Putin, teh Bear, Chinese or American Bankers ruling it.

• Duplode schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 29. Sep. 2009, 1:23
    I see your point. While for me that is not an issue, as about two seconds after opening the booklet I chose not to take the lyrics seriously, I can definitely see the guys getting some trouble further down the road due to perceived political implications.

• Like 20 albums further. They are doing just fine, and well, there is freedom of expression after all. In SOME countries.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 5. Nov. 2009, 15:21
    Wow, surprised to see all positive feedback on it. Used to all the negativity of the Muse shoutbox. I really like it, Resistance and Uprising are probably my favorite songs and I'm just recently getting into Exo-genesis. There really isn't a song I don't like, and I'm a sucker for Guiding Light.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Nov. 2009, 17:28
    annyz said:
    I love how they're progressing too.

I really like the album, and the songs I like more is Uprising, Undisclosed Desires, Guiding Light, Unnatural Selection and I Belong to You. :)

• milann89 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Dez. 2009, 21:58
    Well, I like it. Better to say, love it.
    I put it after OoS on my list.

Although the songs aren't of the best Muse creative quality (I have to say I agree with NME), they are great and the whole album works really, really great.

I thought Uprising would bore me after some time, but it's still a hell of a song for me.
    Resistance and Undisclosed Deisres are plain perfect, even though I was sceptical at first.

USoE and Guding Light are OK. USoE is a good song, but I have mixed feelings towards it.

Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are both great, but they aren't so interesting after some time. I Belong To You is the biggest grower for me. When I first listened to it, I was like "OK, so, this song is lame". It isn't.

Exogenesis is breathtaking. Emotional, powerful, grandeur, perfect.

All in all, I give 'The Resistance' 9.2. :)

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.