New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

• For something metal, the new Sabbat album Sabbatrinity isn't squashed, there's even a 'warning' in the booklet about it :D

• N3fr0n schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mai. 2011, 13:10

SONOIO's first album is mastered by Alessandro Cortini himself and the waveforms look beautifully.

• julben schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mai. 2011, 21:09
    Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA is excellently mastered. It has a replay gain of -3.3 dB.

Bearbeitet von julben am 20. Mai. 2011, 11:10
    • N3fr0n schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 12. Mai. 2011, 17:04

Nine Inch Nails

I just discovered that I can mix Nine Inch Nails albums The Slip and Year Zero from the multitracks available… when I'm done, I can post The Slip here, since it's CC licensed. The tracks I finished so far sound great with the dynamics…

• Im amazed that the New Opeth does not sound overcompressed at all, really true 70s Prog Rock sound :)

I listen to it on stream until it is released: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.de/page/webwheel+opeth

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 21. Sep. 2011, 20:12
    i am still looking forward to the new Opeth output. Hopefully they do a great job on this album

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 28. Sep. 2011, 22:51
    Morcheeba - Blood Like Lemonade
    has great dynamics!

Bearbeitet von cholero am 26. Sep. 2012, 9:36
    • Benutzer
    • 29. Sep. 2011, 17:17
    • cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Nov. 2011, 12:21
    Wild Beasts - Smother has DR10. This is quite high compared to todays Rock/Pop Releases, sadly.

• For those looking for something a little bit more metal that has decent dynamics I would recommend the Swedish Atmospheric Black Metal band Skogen. I have both of their albums on CD (Vittra and Svitjod) and they are not too harsh to listen to at all in my opinion. I do think they could be better, but I dream for a world where everything has at least a DR of 11 or higher. (These two records are 9 & 10)

I would also recommend checking out Faith No More's "Angel Dust" re-release through Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.

• Benutzer
    • 6. Feb. 2012, 9:40
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mär. 2012, 17:44
    Monolake's newest album Ghosts sounds simply great.

• tonique schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 11. Mär. 2012, 19:24
    Tori Amos's Night of Hunters has DR 11, which is good enough. The style is heavily classical-oriented, and the album was even published by Deutsche Grammophon.

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 29. Apr. 2012, 20:24
    Very happy about this one: Jack White - Blunderbuss. It is known that JW is a sound quaility lover (check out the high quality master for the Vinyl of The White Stripes - Icky Thump)
    Dynamic Range : DR11

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Sep. 2012, 9:40
    Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve…
    A good Singer/Songwriter Album with decent sound quality. DR11

• Re:New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

relu84 said:

(...) the latest Iron Maiden album, A Matter Of Life And Death. The producer, Kevin Shirley, mixed the album and decided (with the band) that it sounds good enough and they did not do mastering

(...)

-- Przemek

What is "mastering" ?

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 30. Jan. 2013, 20:00

Re: Re:New albums that don't suffer from loudness war?

bertrand-escaff said:
    What is "mastering" ?

see Audio Mastering on Wikipedia

• Daft Punk's new Single has DR8!
    Sounds unusual dynamic for a 2013 Pop/Dance release.

• DjCuervo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Mai. 2013, 14:32
    relieved to know the new daft punk album wasnt butchered by the label(?)

dynamic range in the upper 7's.

[center]
    [/CENTER]
    • DjCuervo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Mai. 2013, 14:39
    Proceed_Ger said:
    Daft Punk's new Single has DR8!
    Sounds unusual dynamic for a 2013 Pop/Dance release.

8 sounds about right. thats the result i got when i tested my 'get lucky' single (24 bit flac).

daft punk fans, i recommend the collaborators series on youtube,
    its got insight on the making of r.a.m..

[center]
    [/CENTER]
    • cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Jul. 2013, 10:29
    Random Access Memories sounds splendid on vinyl

IMHO better than the 96/24 release from hdtracks
    This is one of the few vinyl rips I tolerate in my music collection.
    I don't consider DR-mesurement of vinyl rips as accurate because of pops and distortion so I don't recommend to compare the values in this case.

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 14. Jul. 2013, 10:31
    Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle

A good Singer/Songwriter Album with decent sound quality. DR11

• rettrou schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Jul. 2013, 14:53
    IMHO better than the 96/24 release from hdtracks
    This is one of the few vinyl rips I tolerate in my music collection.
    I don't consider DR-mesurement of vinyl rips as accurate because of pops and distortion so I don't recommend to compare the values in this case [Random Access Memories].

I guess pops and clicks don't affect DR that much, unless they're all over. Often they are deleted with some software. And distortion should rather decrease the DR values, right?

And I guess there aren't many pops on a new vinyl LP (was there?).

• cholero schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Jul. 2013, 20:46
    rettrou sagte:
    I guess pops and clicks don't affect DR that much, unless they're all over. Often they are deleted with some software. And distortion should rather decrease the DR values, right?

And I guess there aren't many pops on a new vinyl LP (was there?).

Well I guess that you're right in all points. But the main point for me is that the measurements of the dynamic range of a vinyl rip can differ from a vinyl rip of the same release depending on the condition of the vinyl and the equipment. Also software processing like declicking can change the DR value. That's why I don't like measuring of rips that much. To be honest I also do DR analysis of the vinyl rips to compare them to digital releases, I just don't take this DR-values as a fact.

You made me curious to find out how much declicking of a vinyl rip affects the DR value. Unfortunately I think that I've already declicked all my own rips so I can't do the test with my own rips. When I will have a result one day I will write you if you're interested.
    Thanks for your input!
    cholero

And sorry for the off topic to everyone

• Good News for Loudness War opponents: The newly mixed "Vapor Trails" (Rush) and the new Fates Warning both sound amazing. :-)

Edit: The new Gorguts also does. This year is pretty great overall.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.