People who haven't done any drugs and people who have

• siesta schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 9:24

People who haven't done any drugs and people who have

Does anyone find it hard to get along with people who have never done any kind of drugs ever in their lives? There was a point in my life a few years ago when all of my friends were heavy drug users - I couldn't relate to people who had never done anything in their lives. They came off as uptight, naive and boring. Their outlook on the world seemed limited.

My mix of friends now are pretty mixed, but there's always this barrier between me and non-users. Curious if other people here have felt that way...

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
  • Is this including alcohol as a drug? Cause I definitely feel people can be condescending towards users of other drugs, but alcohol (and alcoholism) is so accepted in our society as to be expected.

“ ‘What’s new?’ is an interesting and broadening eternal question, but one which, if pursued exclusively, results only in an endless parade of trivia and fashion, the silt of tomorrow. I would like, instead, to be concerned with the question 'What is best?,' a question which cuts deeply rather than broadly, a question whose answers tend to move the silt downstream."
    - Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycyle Maintenance
    • siesta schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 10:08
    Well it's not so much about non-users being judgmental about users who use drugs - I really couldn't care less about that. But I was wondering more about users (i.e. me, other people in this group) not connecting with people who don't use. Do you feel an affinity with other drug users, people who have tripped, people who have shot up? Do you feel a wall between yourself and a non-user who is pretty uptight about drugs ?

I suppose alcohol counts, but what I really had in mind were more mind-altering substances like Lsd, mushrooms, skunk... Alcohol is a bit mild, i think.

• Rosiroo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 13:07

Bearbeitet von Rosiroo am 1. Jan. 2012, 19:50
    • siesta schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 15:36
    Yeah that's exactly it. Thanks for confirming something that I was thinking.

• Mr_Sleep schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 22:23
    I always feel a certain barrier, but not so much lately really. But people who has never even tried drugs seems so limited someways.
    And then there's always normal social interaction, LOTs of jokes are incomprehesnible for non-users, and so is also lots of literature, movies and music. The trippy stuff in life is missed out for the tripless. poor people.

• siesta schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 24. Apr. 2006, 22:54
    "Scared of life" is a good way of describing it - and explains why non-users just bore me to tears.

• agreed.
    besides the occasional pot and black-out drunk experiences, i'd been relatively clean and got along fine with my non-using friends. but then i did DMT, which changed my life completely, and i now feel like i can't relate to them at all. i feel like they just couldn't possibly understand, but more importantly, that they choose not to, and condemn my actions out of ignorance.

anyway.

DMT.

LOAD UNIVERSE INTO CANNON. AIM AT BRAIN. FIRE.
    • randyf3 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 25. Apr. 2006, 22:34

Re:

Quoth eliothollow:

anyway.

DMT.

Ha ha ha!
    I still haven't been able to try this yet. I really want to though.

And I kind of agree about the user/non-user thing. I can be cool with someone who doesn't do drugs, and I know a few really open-minded people who have never done anything, but there's still a certain uptightness about them.

• Rosiroo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 26. Apr. 2006, 19:33

Bearbeitet von Rosiroo am 1. Jan. 2012, 19:50
  • at times i agree with you. some people are really condescending to recreational drug users and act like they're above it though i still get along with many non-users. personally, certain drug users annoy me much more than the non users. those people that make it their whole lives, revolve almost every conversation around drug use or crazy trips they had. the type of kid that would put 420 or something into every internet alias they have and think that the fact they've done ____ makes them cool. put something like "rehab is for quitters" into their aim profile. idk it gets kind of patheric. what annoys me even moreso are the kids that have done shrooms or lsd once and they get this certain sense of "i'm so much more intelligent than everyone else, especially non drug users" thinking they're ridiculously deep when in reality they're just some fucktard who saw waking life and knows absolutely nothing (having never read a book in their life). lsd espcially has a sense of making people megalomaniacs and thinking they're smarter than they really are, even though it is a very mind opening experience.
    you guys know the types right?

sorry if i came off cynical.

• Timmaniac schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 12:36
    i absolutely agree with you, i think attitude against drugs should be changed, from both the non-users and (some) users. some people see drugs like something that's cool
    (they can put it on their emo-myspace-site along with a picture of them looking in the mirror with Hair in front of their eyes) .

And alot of people don't see it as conciously altering but more like: let's party and take drugs. People should use drugs for creativity, new insights in live and to some extend also party offcourse but not too much.

Like with cannabis: i don't go smoking it because i want to become creative or something (most of the times). I just do it for fun , but when i'm doing it i think about things, and see different perspectives.

That, is the purpose of drugs: Too leave the 3d world we're living in now for a bit, and think in other dimension, perspectives, etc..

• randyf3 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 17:07
    johnfreakinryan, I couldn't agree with you more.
    I know LOTS of people like the ones you are describing, and they're more annoying than anything. People that really do believe LSD opens up the true secrets of the universe to them because they saw God while listening to Tool on acid.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 19:14

Re:

Quoth jonFREAKINryan:
    thinking they're ridiculously deep when in reality they're just some fucktard who saw waking life and knows absolutely nothing (having never read a book in their life)

you just described about everyone I've met over the last year.

• Mr_Sleep schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 19:44
    I wish I met more people that believe that LSD opens up the secrets of the universe (but less people that listen to tool). I really like that kind of drugheads in a way, they're so funny. But of course, when it gets to the "no drugs except psychedelic drugs are good and everybody should do acid all the time because it's the truth"-etc... bullshit that can get kind of tiresome.
    But really I'm just envious, I've taken bucketloads of psychodelic drugs but never yet met God or any other divine being at all. Also I've had no revelations that marks me as a superior creature tec that some people seem to get. That would be a nice ego-booster :)

• Rosiroo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 21:03
    I don't feel superior as such...just more open minded. :D But I do agree with you guys.

• siesta schrieb...
    • Abonnent
    • 27. Apr. 2006, 21:11
    There is something about Lsd though, although i write off a lot of the things that i've thought on acid these days as delusions - or just my hyperactive imagination working in overdrive.

• Yeah people who act as though drugs are the REASON people can make good music or good art are ridiculous. But people who get themselves worked up over people doing drugs are equally ridiculous. It's all about a happy medium. You can't believe that drugs give you your inspiration and open up the world, because they don't. They're a different perspective and a different take. Yes, I find it difficult to relate to completely inexperienced people, but i also know people who are very happy in life and have no reason to use drugs. Some of these people don't seem naive or stupid, they seem like they have their shit worked out better than me, in fact. They don't need drugs to relate to their idea of the world, whereas I did. Until I smoked weed for the first time, I was a total lost soul, just wandering around going through motions. Now, I'm not saying I need weed to be creative or live my life, but that perspective helped me work out my own life. Some people don't need that though. It's completely a person to person basis. I think the people who come off as naive are the ones who should, perhaps, try drugs, but there are people who go their entire lives without that need. (Frank Zappa fans?).

As far as relating to these people, I totally agree. Inexperienced people tend to be difficult for me to talk to, but I do know some who are really friendly and happy and fun to be around. I have one really good friend who happens to be the pianist in my band who has never smoked because he's never felt the desire to. He is the most friendly, outgoing, caring people I know. He loves music, he loves life, and he's friends with plenty of people who do drugs. He just doesn't need that in his life, and I relate to him really well because we have a common ground in the fact that we're musicians. Drugs just give drug-users an emotional common ground that we can all understand. Have you ever heard a story about a trip from a friend and know EXACTLY what they're talking about with some sort of hallucination or thought process? It's amazing to us that we all share that experience, and that experience cuts us off from people who don't approve of it.

I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father.
  • I'm in a curious situation because even though I fully believe that drug use can be an invaluable aid towards attaining an increased appreciation of life, several of the people who I'm closest to and who I respect the most for their outlook on life have never done any sort of drugs. They're quite content to enjoy life as it stands and they life fuller and happier lives than 90% of the drug users I've met. At the same time, though, these people are in the vast minority compared to the number of people who appear to me to be extremely limited in their thinking due to their rejection of drug use as a viable life choice. I guess I'm just lucky to know the ones who genuinely don't need drugs (and I really am lucky, they're some of my favorite people ever).

It's not very clear-cut. Some of my user friends are incredible and see life through the most amazing lens due to their drug experiences and the way they integrate them into the rest of their lives, and some of them can't get beyond the "getting fucked up" recreational aspect of drug use. Some of my non-user friends are utterly brilliant at life and could (and perhaps will) lead truly enlightening and fulfilling lives without using a single mind-altering substance, and some of them are closed-minded and uninteresting and can't see anything beyond their own limited world view. I could compare the numbers in each category but it'd be useless. People can attain every bit as much enlightening introspection and broadening of thought without drugs as they can with them ... drugs are just a shortcut to it. What I find to be the real difference is whether or not one *intends* to expand their mind. If you really want to, you can no matter what path you take to it.

Good morning! And I say what a joy it is to look ahead and read the signs of your future! So much happiness is in store for you, the most brilliantly lighted stars would be put to shame by the brightness of your life. Yeah, happiness, what an elusive thing you are .... but thank God you were born beneath a star. You drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more ...
    • Rosiroo schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 9. Mai. 2006, 16:02

Re:

Quoth onewheelwizzard:
    Some of my user friends are incredible and see life through the most amazing lens due to their drug experiences and the way they integrate them into the rest of their lives, and some of them can't get beyond the "getting fucked up" recreational aspect of drug use. Some of my non-user friends are utterly brilliant at life and could (and perhaps will) lead truly enlightening and fulfilling lives without using a single mind-altering substance, and some of them are closed-minded and uninteresting and can't see anything beyond their own limited world view. People can attain every bit as much enlightening introspection and broadening of thought without drugs as they can with them ... drugs are just a shortcut to it. What I find to be the real difference is whether or not one *intends* to expand their mind. If you really want to, you can no matter what path you take to it.

thankyou, that's *exactly* how I would put it.

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 10. Mai. 2006, 3:35

Re:

Quoth jonFREAKINryan:thinking they're ridiculously deep when in reality they're just some fucktard who saw waking life and knows absolutely nothing (having never read a book in their life). lsd espcially has a sense of making people megalomaniacs and thinking they're smarter than they really are, even though it is a very mind opening experience.
    Shit man, you described my first acid experience. Right at the start of the peak I had some "amazing revelation" that I couldn't stop thinking about and talking about for my whole trip. Then when I came down I realized that it made absolutely no sense at all and I just had a head full of acid. That fucking SUCKED.

• I've done alot of acid in my life. I've had alot of revelations. I've listened to alot of Tool. Never have the three things happened at the same time. I haven't seen god while those things are going on either. But, man, music sure sounds cool while on acid and mushrooms.

I've never been able to understand people who have never had similar experiences, they do tend to be "different". But then they tend to be the same people who listen to music that I wouldn't allow on my iTunes. (although I shouldn't really talk because my sister has alot of questionable crap on my iTunes currently. And, hey, she doesn't do drugs...hmmmm.)

"See, I think drugs have done some good things and if you don't believe me do me a favor: go home tonight take all of your tapes, all of your albums and all of your cd's and burn them. Because the musicians who made all that music that's enhanced your life for all these years........real fuckin high on drugs..." Bill Hicks
    • DustinH schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 13. Mai. 2006, 19:50
    There are so many times that people are stressed out/fighting and everything is crazy and hectic, and I think to myself, "Man, what if everyone in here was smoking weed? Would we be having these problems?". Nah. People who don't do any type of drugs usually have more problems than people who do drugs do. Ugh.. the world is fucked up I tell ya. I think the world should just get stoned and move on. Peace is the word.

Edit:Someone mentioned alcohol as being a drug. I wasn't including that in my writing. Just about everyone I know drinks or has drank or whatever. No one cares about that. Besides, alcohol is just a depressant and often results in violence and fights. That's the opposite of a drug to me.

I really hate people who will get drunk off their ass, but then say "weed is bad". Fucking hypocrit. Alcohol is much worse than weed is for you. I'd take a bowl over a pint any day. People are just so uneducated and... oh man things like this just make me so mad. I hate people.

Feed Your Head
    • noohgodno schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 15. Mai. 2006, 10:06
    i'm reading "the electric koolaid acid test", and all he's been doing for the last 100 pages or so is describing how different people who have had 'the experience' and haven't are...its annoying

• I don't really find getting on with non-users difficult,
    Every now and then I tell a joke or say something that they can't relate to, and I've found that non users don't find Bill Baileys comedy funny, or don't find it as funny as other users.
    And sometimes (this sounds as though I think I'm superior to non-users) it feels as though I am on a "higher level" or something, but then again, there are non-users who seem to be on the same wave-length, and users that are dumb asses.

-=Pistol=-
Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.