Support act(s): Wolfmother
Where: Gelredome, Arnhem, the Netherlands
How did I get ‘into’ them? It’s actually all Bono’s fault, cause he joined them on stage in Toronto last year, which made me hear the bootleg and fall in love with the band. When I heard they were going to perform in the Netherlands I first hesitated to go (WHY? YOU IDIOT WOMAN!!!), but later decided that I didn’t care that my friends didn’t want to come (they have no taste) and went alone. Very, very smart idea.
At first I had very shit plastic seats, almost behind the podium, but half way the support act I had managed to convince the security guy to let me pass and I ended up having gorgeous leather seats with brilliant view. I’m such a lucky person, I disgust myself once in a while ;)
The support act was Wolfmother. I had never heard of them, but I liked what I heard. The leadsinger has a serious weird voice though, and it took me some time to get used to. But they were very cool and fun, so yay! Yet another good support-act… seems like this year is proving me wrong when it comes to support acts ;)
And then it started. And I think I’ve had this HUGE grin on my face the entire performance. I just couldn’t stop grinning! And I loved it very very much. I must admit that I’m hardly critical when it comes to concerts, cause I just want to see a good band play live and then I’m very quickly pleased, but it was seriously great. Wow.
World Wide Suicide
Do the Evolution
Given to Fly
I Got Id
Spin the Black Circle
Man of the Hour
State of Love and Trust
Rockin’ In The Free World
- Eddie was really TOO cute, with his shirt in the first songs especially.
- It was touching that one of the first things Eddie said to the audience was that they had to look after each other and help each other out and all. He’s really sweet.
- Wow, the general drum and guitar solo in Even Flow was stunning!
- The thing that Eddie did with the reflection of his guitar shining over the audience was one of the coolest things ever. Period.
- Matt Cameron is a fantastic drummer. Where that guy gets all that energy from is beyond me!
- What is the deal with Rock Gods and glitter? Seriously! During Bu$hleaguer Eddie entered the stage in the Silver Glitter Jacket of Doom and a Bush mask. He ended up beating and spitting at the Bush mask and all (you have to respect public people who are so fearless political!) and after that song he dissed the jacket too, but dude… there has been a large concentration of glitter within the Rock God World lately ;)
- Mike McCready is absolutely and utterly amazing. The solo’s that came out of that guys guitar… no words! <3
- Rockin’ In The Free World was fantastic! I loved how Eddie jumped from that HUGE stage and went into the audience to even sing there among the people. SO COOL. And then he ran around to wave to the people with seat tickets and it was amazing. It felt as if he was only waving to you. He’s such a great audience player.
- How sweet was it that Eddie read from a piece of paper “Hartelijk Bedankt” (Thank You!) and “Vrede” (Peace)? He pronounced it rather well too ;)
So in other words: I loved it. Absolutely adored it, even! And I hope they will not wait another 6 years to return to my little country.