What do you dislike/hate about today's music?

• What do you dislike/hate about today's music?

I probably shouldn't be a member of this group as I was born at most a single decade too late, but it's an interesting group and I wanted to ask a question.

My own perpective is likely different from the younger members because I grew up with the likes of the Clash, the Pistols, Elvis Costello etc. as a teenager. I have never been able to get used to most hip-hop or most electronic dance stuff, which just seems repetitive and soul-less to me.

To be fair, I think there are a lot of great young indie/rock bands out there these days, but they just don't get the attention they deserve because of the popularity of less inspiring genres of music.

But, I'm really curious about the younger members of this group - why do you feel you were born too late? What is it about today's music scene that makes you long for an earlier era?

• umbrandir schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 9:20
    Well first of all - which runs along your lines - I feel that all this mainstream rap, hip hop, etc. is just trying to provoke and not really to entertain. Cause obviously the more swear words and naked ladies there are around the more goofs that will buy that.

In addition I miss the "handmade" bit in music, where the voice u heard was still what the singer sang and not what it is after being messed around with at the computer. And I can't stand beat machines and synthesisers!!!

To sum it up; I think old rock, soul, etc. still was melodic - not just something to "dance" to in spasmic jerks - had meaning and was entertaining, rather than merely provocative.

• In terms of music that gets in the charts, I don't think anything's changed, really. The stuff that gets to number one is almost always rubbish, and it seems like it's been that way since the 60s. As for music in general today, there is a lot of good stuff around, but I'm not sure if it's as easy to find.

I suppose part of the problem is that even with the really good bands that are around today, they seem to be so heavily influenced by the bands that have come before...I don't know. It's just hard to be original these days, I suppose.

Out of my top fifty, at least forty of the artists formed well over ten years ago. :P

• [Gelöschter Benutzer] schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 13:24
    Almost all newer artists/bands just don't have any guts anymore, they just do commercialized songs which have no meaning at all.

• munchies1 schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 14:12
    -the talentless engineered pose of nu metal
    -the fake self pitying of emo
    -the banality of mainstream rap/hiphop
    -the arrogant pretensions of all those "indie" bands (all signed to major labels) doing nothing but recycling 60s pop
    there's probably more.

• The excess of Metal bands playing the same old thing and lacking decent songs.

• Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 16:14
    No style, no substance, hardly original. Willingness to turn out awful tracks if there's money in the end.

I'm not against new music, really. I'm against shit music.

• Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 17:08
    First of all, I'm not one of those "new music sucks" people—a curse upon those who are so firmly entrenched in the past that they don't bother going to look for good new stuff! It's just that when I look at the past, although many people would disagree, I think, "Damn...mainstream music in the early 80s was actually GOOD. What happened?!?"

I think the biggest problem today is that everything on top 40 radio appeals to the lowest common denominator. The most egregious example of this is probably Soulja Boy's "Crank That," in which a stupid kid who is actually younger than me repeats the same moronic lines—about creaming on a girl's back—OVER and OVER again to the point where you want to go on a murderous rampage. I firmly believe that it's the worst song in the world. While that was obviously the bottom of the barrel, the other stuff isn't much better: crunk-rappers yelling about drugs, violence and skanky women over repetitive electronic beats; pop tarts who believe that by vapidly cooing about their sex lives makes them powerful but in fact set feminism back centuries; blah-rock morons with their monotone droning about how much angst they have over derivative guitars; and of course, emo with mentally unhinged young men screaming about how they intend to kill themselves over their last bad breakup. It's just all trash.

And while I fervently support the underground music movement that only now is beginning to reach a wide audience, the trend of the mainstream-ification of indie is starting to become rather disconcerting. For one, only the blandest bands of the bunch (The Shins, Death Cab and their ilk), with the notable exception of The Arcade Fire, are getting any recognition while truly innovative performers languish in obscurity, while preening, attention-seeking posers such as The Strokes and The Killers get fêted by the press and get called "indie" when in fact both bands literally never were (The Strokes have always been on RCA, The Killers on Island.) Don't even get me started on NME rock, where the same three-chords-and-a-thick-accent band is renamed and repackaged every month to be fed to the hypnotized masses.

My advice: Ignore the mass media. Rely on word of mouth. That way, you'll get the good stuff and become able to forget the crap even exists.

Bearbeitet von einem gelöschten Benutzer am 21. Jun. 2008, 15:09
    • funkyfest schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 18:16
    Yeah, chart music is mostly shit now, it always has been. Ok, the Beatles and etc had #1 hits, but the market is completely different today because the mediums of discovering and obtaining music have changed. Smart people don't buy singles, they download off of mp3 blogs. Idiots are the reason Nickelback and Fergie make money. FYI, the reason that the charts from 50 years ago seem better to us is that it has become immersed into our culture. The music snobs of the time were listening to jazz, and they thought rock n' roll was total shit. So you have to take the time perspective into account, the hindsight bias. "Well of course the Velvet Underground were amazing" even though like 10 people had heard of them in 1967.

Also, anyone that says music is dead is lazy and an idiot. It's really easy to just listen to whatever Rolling Stone faps over and call it a day, it takes just a tiny bit more effort to find good new bands, but no, let's just say it all sucks based on, like, 2 bands, and go jerk off to Led Zep.

And fuckin "indie" is the most poorly used word in the history of time. Also, it's the fans who think they're better than everyone for listening to Broken Social Scene, not the actual bands, that are pretentious. You wanna talk about pretentious go listen to the fucking Doors or King Crimson or Pink Floyd. And even if new bands recycle a little bit from the 60's (hahaha the golden age of music rofl), just look at what 60's pop took from the blues and soul and jazz. Oh noes, they was inspired by something else that went before!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT ABOUT?

To me, it's exciting to find out about new things evolving in music, to others not so much, and that's fine. Context is a wonderful, wonderful thing, but judging a band/artist solely on what decade their record came out is as stupid as judging them based on their hair style or the color guitars they used. Judge it on whether or not you enjoy it and nothing else.

Domestic violence is wrong! And I like Cheerios!
  • Judge it on whether or not you enjoy it and nothing else.

Well, exactly. I love the music I listen to, and wouldn't claim to love a certain band or type of music because I felt I ought to. I love lots of music from the 60s, 70s and 80s, but I can honestly say that it's because of the music itself rather than the decade.

• Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 18:44
    SUPERMAN DAT HO. ):<

I have an extreme dislike of both Soulja Boy and "indie." And also, "EWWWW MAINSTREAM!" - music is just music no matter where it charts, how much it sells, etc.

• Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 20:00
    Yeah, but there are seriously people who are the opposite, who only listen to top 40 radio and dismiss everything else as "weirdo crap." And they justify their own ridiculously conformist taste by saying, "If it's not good, why is it popular?"

UGH. Those people are just as bad, if not more so, as the indie-or-die snobs.

• Erm... Uhm... Sorry, funkyfest, but what is wrong with King Crimson? They are better than 90% of "indie" that comes out these days. And no,I'm not a new music hater, you can clearly see it from my charts. But calling a band "pretentious" just because they try to make their music more sophisticated or creative doesn't make any sence.

In dreams I walk with you...
    In dreams I talk with you...
    In dreams...

Heads on fire and drunken lights
    Days devoured by hungry nights
    In love's secret domain
    This is mad love
    This is mad love
    In love's secret domain
    Bearbeitet von daydream_juliet am 23. Feb. 2008, 20:43
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 20:31
    a lot of things...

• ianschultz said:
    a lot of things...

And can you explain then what the things are? I hate when peolpe say: "oh, prog rock is such shit" Generalizing sucks, you know that.

Edit: well, whatever you might think of them, I like their music and their musicanship.

In dreams...

In love's secret domain
    This is mad love
    This is mad love
    In love's secret domain
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 21:22
    yes i do but prog does suck, sorry but I hate it.

• funkyfest schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 22:03
    I have to agree with Ian here, I cited them as an example because I personally dislike them. Prog does not float my boat. There's nothing inherently wrong with a little pretentiousness, but I mean, come on.

Ugh "if it's so bad why is it popular?" people are the worst.

But then again guys, we have to remember that not everyone cares as much as we do. Yes, it's kinda lame not to care from our perspective, but I always realize that the people I know who listen to blah music are just interested in other things. Often things that they're really good at that I'm not. So like, whatever.

• Personally I'm all for a bit of pretentiousness in...well, I was about to say "music", before I realised that for me, the real answer is probably "everything!". But hey, that's just me. I don't have an opinion of King Crimson one way or another.

Although didn't they have some sort of influence on Roxy Music? Or did I imagine that?

• Benutzer
    • 23. Feb. 2008, 23:35
    Ferry had auditioned as lead singer for King Crimson (who were seeking a replacement for departed vocalist Greg Lake) and although Robert Fripp and Pete Sinfield decided that Ferry's voice was unsuitable for King Crimson's material, they were impressed with his talent and they subsequently helped the fledgling Roxy Music to obtain a contract with E.G. Records.

• Benutzer
    • 24. Feb. 2008, 5:13
    rabidoveryou said:
    Personally I'm all for a bit of pretentiousness in...well, I was about to say "music", before I realised that for me, the real answer is probably "everything!".

Er yeah, I've been leaning more toward that opinion nowadays as well, even though I do consider myself fairly down-to-earth. Methinks it's the result of listening to too much Destroyer and watching too many period films.

• ianschultz said:
    yes i do but prog does suck, sorry but I hate it.

If you don't understand the music, it doesn't mean it is pretentious or it sucks. It is like saying "Alfred Schnittke was pretentious shit" just because barely anyone has some understanding of his music. Prog rock objectively doesn't suck and the sooner you realize it the better. Can people be a bit more open-minded? Or maybe it is hard to listen to something that has more than three chords in a song?

Although didn't they have some sort of influence on Roxy Music? Or did I imagine that?
    They have a lot of influences, from Talking Heads and Roxy Music to metal bands. Krautrock was lame German version of prog rock and not less pretentious:P

As for indie bands with old sound... Well, basically they are worse than everything else. Why? Because it is 21st century and it is time to create something new, isn't it? And it is not hard to be original even these days, in case you have talent.

In dreams...

In love's secret domain
    This is mad love
    This is mad love
    In love's secret domain
    • funkyfest schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Feb. 2008, 6:56
    I do not appreciate the insinuation that not liking prog stems from being too thick to understand it. I get the point, I just think it's unintentionally silly music that I cannot relate to. Ergo, from my subjective point of view, it sucks.

I also take issue with the idea that more complex arrangements = more enjoyable music. I'll take sloppy power chords over time signature masturbation any day.

• Hmm... I personally dislike most of prog rock bands but King Crimson is different. That's the point. And for that matter, I can't stand any of garage bands, I find them extremely unlistenable. But I will never say it is "silly music". Never.

In dreams...

In love's secret domain
    This is mad love
    This is mad love
    In love's secret domain
    • funkyfest schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Feb. 2008, 7:04
    daydream_juliet said:
    it is not hard to be original even these days

Link to your band plz

• funkyfest schrieb...
    • Benutzer
    • 24. Feb. 2008, 7:09
    I don't mean silly is bad, the Black Lips are hella silly and I love them. But what I mean with prog is that these bands behave so seriously it is absurd, laughable. And it's a bad thing in that case because comedy was not their original intention.

Anonyme Benutzer dürfen keine Beiträge schreiben. Bitte log dich ein oder registriere dich, um Beiträge in den Foren schreiben zu können.